What else should I be looking to replace with vibration?

myfirstlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 3.9 with 140,000 miles. The car runs great but I've had some issues feeling a vibration in the drivetrain. I've searched and spent a few hours reading threads and it seems that the center driveshaft bearing aka propeller shaft center bearing aka part# XW4Z-4800-CA is usually the culprit.

However, since I am at so many miles, I am also interested in replacing other related worn parts since I don't really feel like removing the heat shields and exhaust on several occasions and I'd like to purchase everything I need at one time. Any other bearings/joints I should be looking at. I'm not terribly familiar with a 2 piece driveshaft.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0259.jpg

This is the carrier bearing that you are speaking of..I bought it with a driveshaft because I thought I had the same vibration...but I didn't need it yet..the bearing itself is close to $200 at dealership. Get it new..not used.

IMG_0259.jpg

So you thought you had the same vibration but didn't need the bearing? Care to share what the actual problem was if it wasn't this bearing?

So you thought you had the same vibration but didn't need the bearing? Care to share what the actual problem was if it wasn't this bearing?

I had a slightly warped rim on the inside rear (driver side)...Midas technicians took a test drive and told me the driveshaft/carrier bearing was going bad. I ordered the new (above) carrier bearing and replacement d.shaft..and it wasn't even needed. Later took it to the dealership just to have them take a look..and although the carrier bearing has seen wear....it is not deteriorated to the point to cause any vibration. Have to be careful before going out and prematurely buying costly items with this car...it can easily be something less expensive..less tragic. lmao. I guess I live and learn.

This vibration prompted me to go and replace the rear upper and lower control arms..struts..both wheel bearings on rear..tire replacements as well as the cross drilled rotors..inner/outer ties..and the infamous toe link bar in the rear. Smooth ride now without having to pay to have the heat shield removed to drop and replace the driveshaft...plus the carrier bearing has to be pressed on..I think.

What kind of vibration are you experiencing. In the steering wheel? Speeds? Have you ruled out wheels and tires?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I've had the Jag wheels for a while and I felt a similar vibration even with the old wheels although it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. The tires are practically brand new Bridgestone Pontezas - they were road force balanced. Literally all of the rear suspension has been replaced within the last 30k miles except the wheel bearings so I guess that could be the issue. Nearly all of the front suspension has been replaced (including the wheel bearings). The car drives straight and smooth and the steering wheel doesn't vibrate. I feel the vibration in the seat/center console and it's very obvious from about 30-40 and anything over 75. It's also very obvious during acceleration - for example, if I'm speeding up on a ramp to get on a highway, once i hit about 35 I can feel it in my seat and as I accelerate I can feel it until I hit about 65-70ish. Once I get around 65-70, the vibration lessens or disappears.

I'm hoping its a carrier bearing issue although I am also concerned it could be a torque converter problem...

You had transmission work done correct? Maybe when they removed the driveshaft they didn't assemble the bolts in their original positions.

I haven't had any transmission work done. I think I have a bad solenoid which is screwing with the torque convertor locking (code p1744) - addressed in this thread: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?90291-Transmission-Help

However, my understanding is that that wouldn't necessarily cause major issues with the trans or a vibration in the driveshaft for that matter. I ordered the solenoid, transgo kit, and new filter which is sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be installed.

Sorry must have mistaken you for someone else. I think your trans and vibration issue are separate.

On the transmission note, it's my understanding that you have the bad valve that affected the 03s. Why wouldn't you replace the valve body?

I've been chasing down a vibration for six months. When I got it my '04 3.9 with, at that time, 50,000 miles had a significant shake in the front end which could be felt in the body and, especially, through the steering wheel. It had worn tires that I replaced with Kuhmos. Two were out of round and were replaced by the tire seller. It still shook, although less. I got it road forced at two different places and that also cause incremental improvement. I traded in the Kuhmos for the specified Michelins, which were better but still shook. I got them road forced by America's Tire and the ride is acceptable but I still feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. I'm thinking about having the front wheel bearings replaced at the next oil change.

Members online

No members online now.
Back