What is this that's leaking?

Canidae

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums, been lurking for a while, and finally decided to join. Anyway I noticed that my 95 Mark VIII was leaking something near the radiator. Got her up, and looked under there, and after looking around for a bit, found the source of the leak. Which appears to be some sort of bolt (new to Lincoln's so pardon my lack of knowledge) on the radiator.

2012-05-28_19-35-04_344.jpg

Now my only question is what is this that is leaking. I'm thinking coolant since I keep getting the "low engine coolant" message every now and then, but I want to be sure. Any help or advice offered is greatly appreciated.

Hi, new to the forums, been lurking for a while, and finally decided to join. Anyway I noticed that my 95 Mark VIII was leaking something near the radiator. Got her up, and looked under there, and after looking around for a bit, found the source of the leak. Which appears to be some sort of bolt (new to Lincoln's so pardon my lack of knowledge) on the radiator.

2012-05-28_19-35-04_344.jpg

Now my only question is what is this that is leaking. I'm thinking coolant since I keep getting the "low engine coolant" message every now and then, but I want to be sure. Any help or advice offered is greatly appreciated.

Well I can say for certainty.. you have a trans (edit- Line) leak.. the Fitting in the radiator is seeping. then you may want to check for either crossover into coolant or vice a versa.. check trans to see what color fluid is. is your coolant discolored? do you have any puddles on the ground? what color? odor?

Good Luck

Last edited:
what on earth is all that grey crap? radiator stop leak or what?

and that's a line for the transmission cooler that is leaking. red fluid is trans fluid.

your low coolant light might be a leaky water pump if you never see drips anywhere. older ones leak a little when under pressure.

Its the trans coolant line feed into the radiator, looks loose. And WTF is that goop all over that coolant hose and everywhere else too?

Low coolant could be many things, coolant flows ALL thru that motor and then back again. Don't go chasing ghosts, get a pressure test kit, use it properly, and burp the coolant system properly

Well I can say for certainty.. you have a trans (edit- Line) leak.. the Fitting in the radiator is seeping. then you may want to check for either crossover into coolant or vice a versa.. check trans to see what color fluid is. is your coolant discolored? do you have any puddles on the ground? what color? odor?

Good Luck

Thanks. I'll check that, and get back with you. And yes, after leaving the car running for a while, it starts to leak at that location at a steady pace, and forms a puddle on the ground. No discoloration from what I can see, and smells just like I wold expect trans fluid to smell like. I first noticed this at work, where after sitting in my car for a while with the engine running, I got out to finish my shift, and noticed a decent sized puddle on the ground (about the size of a dinner plate).

what on earth is all that grey crap? radiator stop leak or what?

and that's a line for the transmission cooler that is leaking. red fluid is trans fluid.

your low coolant light might be a leaky water pump if you never see drips anywhere. older ones leak a little when under pressure.

Thanks, and regarding that grey stuff I have no idea, was like that when I got her. I suspect that it's JB Weld or something similar. I suspected a leaky pump as well, as soon as my stands get here I'm going to lift her up again and inspect it.

Its the trans coolant line feed into the radiator, looks loose. And WTF is that goop all over that coolant hose and everywhere else too?

Low coolant could be many things, coolant flows ALL thru that motor and then back again. Don't go chasing ghosts, get a pressure test kit, use it properly, and burp the coolant system properly

As I stated above I suspect that it's JB Weld, but don't know for sure. I figured I need a pressure test kit, so I'm going to go ahead and just order the one I've been eying on Amazon for the past few days. So the tras coolant line huh? I thought it looked loose as well. Going to tighten it up and see if that stops it.

And thanks for the advice and help all. Narrowing it down, little by little. Purchased the factory service manual, and electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manuals on eBay today so I can get a better grasp of my Mark VIII. That should answer a few questions I have regarding how my ride is put together, and runs.

Looks like someone got in there with some JB WELD and tried patching something up or the radiator is packed full of some type of aluminum based sealant. Iono, something ain't right though. I would for sure have that whole cooling system flushed if you see that inside the reservoir.

Kinda reminds me of the 4.6 block puddles.... remember? Sapper and some others wanted to mount it on the wall.

Kinda reminds me of the 4.6 block puddles.... remember? Sapper and some others wanted to mount it on the wall.[/QUOTE]

You make pretty block puddles thou!

Looks like someone just squirted a bunch of silver snot all over it ...I can't immagine that to be an attempt at a patch, its all over the clamp too..sheesh

Hopefully she's in better hands with the new owner.

Make sure to check your trans fluid (with engine running)

Looks like someone just squirted a bunch of silver snot all over it ...I can't immagine that to be an attempt at a patch, its all over the clamp too..sheesh

Hopefully she's in better hands with the new owner.

Make sure to check your trans fluid (with engine running)

Maybe someone had a mixture of it on a piece of cardboard or something, trying to patch something else and it may have fell down there and was just left as is. It really doesn't look like it was worked with. More like it just poured into place. That would make me look for that same color elsewhere, up higher.

I bet he never thought he'd have starter such a sh!t storm just asking about a leak...rofl

the one with puddled metal, a forest fire.
nolimits car, improperly installed fuel injectors.
other random cars, leaking brake lines into am always hot switch that shorts out. had a recall for them.

What causes the fire in these cars?

Ain't it purdy?

Fire002.jpg

Did look like this.

OutsideShots005.jpg

GMAN had one catch on fire and he walked across the street and took pics while it burned lol. His was a leaking brake booster or something. Mine was just being stupid but it exploded and the only reason I am typing right now is because the windows were up and the firewall saved me.

Dude hose looks like it's been swamped with JB weld. I'd take off the hose & check it thoroughly. By the way, welcome to the board. Are you in Homestead, Fl?

It looks like that Zerex antileak antifreeze crap. It clogs all the hoses. It was really bad sh*t. I don't think they sell lt any more.

Is that silver/grey junk dry or wet?

Completely dry. Pretty sure it's JB Weld

I bet he never thought he'd have starter such a sh!t storm just asking about a leak...rofl

Lol, seriously.

Dude hose looks like it's been swamped with JB weld. I'd take off the hose & check it thoroughly. By the way, welcome to the board. Are you in Homestead, Fl?

Inspected them, and the hoses are fine, though at some point I do plan on replacing them, because I don't like the way that it looks with the JB weld on it. And yes, I'm located in Homestead, FL, not to far away from the Homestead Speedway track.

Thanks for all the help you guys, and now for an update. Took the car to be serviced yesterday (tranny flush & refill with Mercon V, replaced tranny gasket & filter coolant system flush, and oil change), and everything checked out ok. Might need a new radiator in the future, but right now, she feels like a totally different car.

When I got here she was shuddering which from my research was due to the old tranny fluid (hence the flush, and filter/gasket replacement), so thats almost totally gone. The ride is now silky smooth, and hands down one of the most comfortable rides I've ever experienced in a car. Going to replace the antenna mast today (stuck in the up position, motor is fine), and got these two at a bargain price for all future repair and upgrade needs:

KGrHqFHJDcE7ypwvufBPGi1Opvqw60_57.jpg

First time, and very proud Mark VIII owner. Next major upgrade is a complete repaint, still undecided on color, but this is her current color:

25713316668321382882IM104565x421_A562x421.jpg

25713316665321382882IM1MAIN565x421_A562x421.jpg

11634-MdEfnOzpb.jpg

Not a fan of the fender chrome ..

And your wheels are not on backwards ;)

Can you see at night? The headlights look a bit on the brown side. Car looks good though, just needs some work done here and there. Ain't gonna be cheap but sensor lowering is free. Give it a shot. You are more than in 4X4 mode.

When the lenses are yellowed as much as yours are, I start with a soaking wet 800/ then 1200/1500/2000, and some Meguiars PlastX

Not a fan of the fender chrome ..

Ditto.

BTW: Nice stealth edit:D

And your wheels are not on backwards ;)

Now there's somethin' ya don't see every day:)

Can you see at night? The headlights look a bit on the brown side. Car looks good though, just needs some work done here and there. Ain't gonna be cheap but sensor lowering is free. Give it a shot. You are more than in 4X4 mode.

Yeah. That thing is super high. What's up with that? She's ridin' tall in the saddle, high on the hog...okay I'm done:) Drop 'er down a couple of inches and it'll be just about right.

LoL

High on the hog? Thar term refers to the Bacon, a more expensive cut...I'm not sure how over inflated bags fits this reference

Derp :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back