What is this?

unity

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok. So its suppose to be a Mach 1 intake hat with a couple odd mods that dont seem to affect it in anyway.

Every Mach 1 intake from 03/04 look just like this:

f71b_1.JPG

But this is what I purchased. It has a larger squared off right side and just looks odd. I searched ALL OVER the place, looked at TONS of pics and never saw an intake that looked like this.

One thing you will notices is the EGR track on the outside.

a4e5_1.JPG

aafc_1.JPG

b0bc_1.JPG

b692_1.JPG

Was the EGR port continued over to the other side of the manifold or something? Perhaps a repair job?

It not in my hands yet, so not sure. The welding work im ok with. Its just the manifold looks like none other and I want to be sure of what it is.

Its this area that is really odd. Its just so squared off and look like its part of the original cast:

xaafc_1.JPG

And this is my intake, but its the same as all other Mach intakes, just they are missing the Cobra:

DSC03526.jpg

Well if it is better than Cobra, even a little. To the polish shop it goes. I will also smooth out the welding.

But way, being aluminum cast I guess you have to TIG weld which is somewhat difficult and not exactly cheap.

tig welding aluminum isnt that hard, not aluminum like that, the hardest thing i have ever tig welded was annodized aluminum. its what my buddy makes boat t-tops out of, annodized aluminum pipe, now thats tricky to tig. the only thing that canmake welding aluminum like your intake hard to weld is getting a pocket of carbon in the middle of welding, when you hit carbon with the tungsten it blows the puddle of weld all over the place and turns black instantly, then you have to stop and clean the hell out of the area.

Hey unity maybe this will help it is the closed picture I have of my intake.
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=1800&normal=1&showimage=33

I have the same intake on my Mark, except its a Cobra. I have seen many Mach intakes.... many... the one I have pictured is not the same as you can see by the EGR trail. As you can see in yours you can see its very visible from start to finish. The one pictured that I will be getting is not visible across the whole cover.

Hence the confusion. It is certainly going to fit on an 01 or 04 bottom half. But what is it?

My old marauder had it on the outside the best I can member I think it is a couble diffrent intakes to make one but could be wrong. My brother has his 96 cobra intake off and has a few 32v intakes around I will look at them and see maybe what it came from.

Clearly one of many detroit prototypes to get the 99+ intake to where it is now. It's not a production hat. It resembles the fr500 hat a little bit, but the mounting surface is very different in the fr500 setup.

The key here is that it was made for the 96-98 cobra lower intake, and it won't bolt up to the 99+ style.
Just look closely at the location of mounting holes.

The hat plays a little role when it comes to HP. If you want better intake, port and polish the bottom part. The hat can be polished, but that's about all you can get from it.

"The key here is that it was made for the 96-98 cobra lower intake, and it won't bolt up to the 99+ style.
Just look closely at the location of mounting holes."

I was looking at that last night. I noticed the matting surfaces under the throttle body were much more "curved" than the 99+ style.

I will closer compare when I take mine apart for another project.

If it does mate to a Cobra intake, would this be a better hate for a Cobra intake swap into a Gen 1? This intake has a low profile.

Ok, so it will fit 99+ a lot better then 96/98. But still not gonna fit. Looks like I have a wall decoration.

gasketcomp.jpg

If you look at the bolt patern on the underside it is way off, the edge casting isn't even close. The TB is a crap shoot. the only thing good that might be usable is the TB sensor.

If the seller had the lower, it would be a "unique" intake manifold. But they dont, so yes, useless.

Oh well! lol $50 down the tube I guess.

Members online

No members online now.
Back