what oil should i use on my 00 ls?

Hmmm... did have a quick question. Any truth to 2004 and older cars needing API SL spec oil and 2005 and newer cars needing ILSAC GF-4 / API SM spec oil?
Apparently, the newer API SM spec removes a lot of the friction modifier additives to be more friendly to the newer cats and this will supposedly kill older motors.
Most of the high-mileage oils are API SL and the regular stuff is API SM.

Hmmm... did have a quick question. Any truth to 2004 and older cars needing API SL spec oil and 2005 and newer cars needing ILSAC GF-4 / API SM spec oil?
Apparently, the newer API SM spec removes a lot of the friction modifier additives to be more friendly to the newer cats and this will supposedly kill older motors.
Most of the high-mileage oils are API SL and the regular stuff is API SM.

No. SM is good for all years. Up until 2004, SL was the best available oil. Now, we have SM which is even better.

API quote below

"API ratings are backward compatible to previous generation ratings. This means that an API SM quality oil, which is the latest API rating, is recommended where API SL, SJ, SH, SG were originally required."

Been changing mine every 10K miles with synthetic for the last 150K miles. My engine still uses no oil, at 167K miles.

Pretty much same here. When it was in warranty I did change it every 5k. But after warranty, I went to 10k intervals. Now have 107k and going very strong.

SuperTech 5w30 from Wal Mart. A 5 quart jug is $10 + $2.50ish for a 6th quart. With a Motorcraft filter, my oil changes run around $16.

Mark

Same here. You sound like me..the type of guy that wont pay extra for the marketing associated with name brand oils. Amazing how many people also dont realize that the WalMart brand exceeds Ford's specs for motor oil.

And for those changing oil every 3k, may I suggest you send in a sample to blackstone labs for an analysis? You may be surprised to learn that your oil can easily go to 10k and still have all of the protective properties in place. Pls keep in mind that 3k intervals are usually promoted by...Quick change lube places. I dont have to tell you why, do I?

Also...its your car, but keep in mind the absolute TOUGHEST time for an engine is the first start after oil change. That is..unless you guys are prefilling your oil filter every single time

I've read many good things about Wal Mart's SuperTech oil, so I've been running it since I bought my LS in '07. I don't skimp on the filter, always making sure I get a Motorcraft.

I may have to take a sample into Blackstone labs. Lucky for me, I'm within 10 miles of them. :D

Mark

I've read many good things about Wal Mart's SuperTech oil, so I've been running it since I bought my LS in '07. I don't skimp on the filter, always making sure I get a Motorcraft.

I may have to take a sample into Blackstone labs. Lucky for me, I'm within 10 miles of them. :D

Mark

Walmart oil is just KY Warming Sensations Oil

:p

Members online

No members online now.
Back