What to buy for a "second" car?

Archer28

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy my LS. My wife has been driving it since she was hit in september, totaling her little Kia spectra 5 sporthatch.

She's never really been crazy about it the LS though, we just have different tastes in cars. She's more of a "mustang, beetle, mini coooper" type of person and my taste in cars is a bit more mature.

Now we're about to settle with the insurance (and no, its not a fortune), but I'm looking for a car for her that she can also share with my teenage daughter, who just got her learners.

I enjoy working on my own cars, and have access to a full vocational auto mechanics shop, but I'd still like something reliable.

She likes the thought of a used BMW (my parents have a 95 525) but its been expensive to maintain.

What comes to mind in the "less than 15,000 used" area? Has to be a bit sporty, and youthful type of car or she won't have it.

Have you thought of a Mark VII? It matches your requirements and being a fox chassis, you would have plenty of access to parts.
Considering it has a 302, AOD, 8.8 rear, leather, air ride and four wheel disc brakes it's quite a bargain these days.

Thanks for the reply TM, but that is more of my kind of car than hers (as much as I like the Mark!). Her taste in cars is much closer to the average teen than mine.

Think "cute", "flashy", "sporty".

She's kind of stuck on the Mazda 3 hatch, which I like OK as well, but dang, they are overpriced, especially a used one.

At least the MINI holds its value, though I can't seem to make them understand it WON'T hold our family of 4 very well...;)

I have to admit, I think the new mustang is a nice looking machine, and there are sure plenty of used ones out there with factory warranty remaining.

Probably what I'll end up with, but dang I remember getting four people in and out of my firebird, what a pain 2 doors are.

I'll take a peek on autotrader and see what the V6 vs the V8 are going for.

I wonder how expensive they are to insure?

How about an Audi A4? They are pretty sporty and very reliable and you should be able to get a pretty nice one for 15K. Plus, you get the 4 doors for your family.

you can find a really nice 3 series bmw for under 15k those are pretty sporty looking

what about a used maxima or an acura rsx

Sounds like her choice is more Small car, not so much gadgets than immature. I am a small car guy myself, I like 2 doors and a manual(of course some mature cars you say do come in that form too).

The new generation stangs are becoming very cheap, I see many '05 and '06s in the 17K range, v6 of course. V8's I've seen between 19-25K depending on what options and packages they have.

Based what she's had I think these are other good choices:

Chevy Cobalt
-Cavalier(preferably a Sport or z24)
- Camaro/Firebird yada yada(v6)
Ford Fusion(2 door is coming I hear)
- Focus (zx3's are fun, especially the SVT. Also try and find an ST)
Honda Civic(new ones are very nice)
Toyota Celica
Another Spectra 5(I like the new ones)
Hyundai Tiburon(check out the rest of the lineup too)

Eh, best bet is too go to different dealers and drive what they see and like and not make a decision till after you cannot think of anything else.

Thanks for the replies all.

Having the Lincoln, I'm trying to talk her into something other than another sedan type car (If I had my way we'd have a BMW 5 series wagon, or maybe even a V70R), but those are tough to find on our budget.

I'd love to own a BMW, but I have a feeling that will have to be my next car after the LS.

She's not much on Chevy, even though our local dealer has a nice used 06 SS Cobalt (black). Her insurance-selling friend told her that the Cobalt's rates have been very high.

Here in Va. she has to drive to work in the snow from time to time, so a FWD, or AWD would be nice, but traction control on any RWD would be a must.

I may even try to talk her into a mid sized extended cab truck (dakota sized), or a small SUV like a Sportage. As long as its bright and shiny, maybe she'll be satisfied lol!

I must be lucky, got a pretty decent rate on my '07 Cobalt SS/SC. Have heard that some owners are being nailed on it though, not sure of the regular SS though.

Those Sorento's are pretty nice deals, dealer I was talking too about getting a Spectra 5 back before I got the 'Balt tried to put me in the Sorento. They had like 10K off so I could of gotten a top trim level for around $20K at the time but I do not care for utility vehicles, gotta say they are nice. Even the Hyundai's and that new Mitsu Outlander are pretty nice but again that is not my thing.

Its a tough choice but a fun one deciding on what the next vehicle well be.

What about 2005 VW GLI? Or Audi A3? A3 is a bit expensive I think because it is still new, but sure looks great. That turbo 4 is a gem.

Other than that, well 3 series, Golf, Civic si, C-class Benz (expensive), maybe a Volvo?

Archer28 said:
Thanks for the replies all.

Having the Lincoln, I'm trying to talk her into something other than another sedan type car (If I had my way we'd have a BMW 5 series wagon, or maybe even a V70R), but those are tough to find on our budget.

I'd love to own a BMW, but I have a feeling that will have to be my next car after the LS.

She's not much on Chevy, even though our local dealer has a nice used 06 SS Cobalt (black). Her insurance-selling friend told her that the Cobalt's rates have been very high.

Here in Va. she has to drive to work in the snow from time to time, so a FWD, or AWD would be nice, but traction control on any RWD would be a must.

I may even try to talk her into a mid sized extended cab truck (dakota sized), or a small SUV like a Sportage. As long as its bright and shiny, maybe she'll be satisfied lol!

Have her look at the A4 quattro, it won't feel like she's driving a sedan, they are pretty small cars, plus they have AWD and are very reliable.

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_Ca...QQsatitleZQQsocmdZListingItemListQQsofocusZpf

A4 is a really cool car and the price is right. Cheaper than the Bimmer.

Well if you want something reliable and easy to work on and they are fun to play with.... Also you'll save money on the purchase. Plus Mustangs used hold their used value pretty good for a used car. Someone (kid) will always by it.

I'd go for the V-8 as you know you'll want to take it out to play some times. My daughter has an 02 V-6... It's fun but really no guts.

My friend has an Audi A4 and l highly recommend it. He has had no trouble with it (aside from being side-swiped by a teenage girl) and it is a beautiful car. Handles great, very nice interior and a good car in bad weather. Maybe you can get a nice cherry-red color to entice your wife!

Funny you guys mention an A4, the little used car lot that we pass on the way to town got in a few new cars, and what do you know one on them was an Audi.

I stopped to look at it, and it was an A4, 1.8T I got a bit excited, until I realized it was a 1999 model with 174,000 miles. Still wanted 8K for it.

Strangely, that high mileage was encouraging, must be halfway dependable!

Archer28 said:
Funny you guys mention an A4, the little used car lot that we pass on the way to town got in a few new cars, and what do you know one on them was an Audi.

I stopped to look at it, and it was an A4, 1.8T I got a bit excited, until I realized it was a 1999 model with 174,000 miles. Still wanted 8K for it.

Strangely, that high mileage was encouraging, must be halfway dependable!

archer, i happen to come by the same deal recently. just after i bought the ls i saw one, so i stopped and lookd at it. it was a4 1.8t 1999 with upper 100,000 miles, $7500. it was also encouraging. and it looked nice all black.

Members online

No members online now.
Back