What tranny do I have V2???

RCodePaul

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Found the original "What tranny do I have???" thread in the archives

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=21507&highlight=5R55

and the info seems inconclusive. Of course I have a June '03 car. LincolnTech38 seems to be inactive, but he had an online resource to check trans model by VIN, apparently the only conclusive avenue.
How can I be sure I get the right replacement tranny?

Last edited:
Found the original "What tranny do I have???" thread in the archives

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=21507&highlight=5R55

and the info seems inconclusive. Of course I have a June '03 car. LincolnTech38 seems to be inactive, but he had an online resource to check trans model by VIN, apparently the only conclusive avenue.
How can I be sure I get the right replacement tranny?

If you have an '00-'02 LS you have a 5R55N; if you have an '03-'06 you have a 5R55S.

N or S

The issue doesn't seem to be that cut and dried. The Ford system VIN lookup LincolnTech38 did in that thread was on an '03 made in 11/02 and it showed it had an N and not an S.
Junkyards are telling me that if the car was made before July '03 it has an N but I am reluctant to trust them. I took it to an Indy mech awhile back and the receipt says it has an N.

The issue doesn't seem to be that cut and dried. The Ford system VIN lookup LincolnTech38 did in that thread was on an '03 made in 11/02 and it showed it had an N and not an S.
Junkyards are telling me that if the car was made before July '03 it has an N but I am reluctant to trust them. I took it to an Indy mech awhile back and the receipt says it has an N.

It depends on model year, not manufacture date. I don't remember when Job 1 was for the 2003 model year.

Agreed on model year. The commanding for the tranny is different between the N and S, so a cross-swap wouldn't work. All Gen 2's were made for S's, all Gen 1's for N's.

You can also tell by the fill plug location. N has it on the back of the tailhousing facing towards the rear end, while the S has it on the side of the case facing (IIRC) the passenger side.

Thank You

Agreed on model year. The commanding for the tranny is different between the N and S, so a cross-swap wouldn't work. All Gen 2's were made for S's, all Gen 1's for N's.

You can also tell by the fill plug location. N has it on the back of the tailhousing facing towards the rear end, while the S has it on the side of the case...

Good explanation, wasn't sure what the deal was from the previous thread. The tranny is a tight fit in the tunnel and I was under it this weekend with an inspection mirror looking at the decal on the side of the case. None of the codes on there were readily decipherable to me.
Thanks again.

ML: Thanks. Couldn't be bothered to actually check a source at the time. :)

RCodePaul: So, which was it? Does the conspiracy theory live on?

Not sure yet...

So, which was it? Does the conspiracy theory live on?

I need to try and find the Driver's side fill plug. When I was under there last weekend, the only plug I found was an internal hex plug facing rearward. It is on the tail housing under the plug was wording saying check oil level at 1??* with engine running in park, mercon V etc. Didn't see another but will double check driver's side of the tranny case tonight.

Last edited:
I need to try and find the Driver's side fill plug. When I was under there last weekend, the only plug I found was an internal hex plug facing rearward. It is on the tail housing under the plug was wording saying check oil level at 1??* with engine running in park, mercon V etc. Didn't see another but will double check driver's side of the tranny case tonight.

Dude, if you have a 2003 LS you have the 5R55S. It isn't that hard.....

Sounds like the N fill plug.
Sure you have an '03? :shifty:

Says 6/03 on the decal

Sounds like the N fill plug.
Sure you have an '03? :shifty:

The decal says 6/03 my paperwork says '03.
Here's the pic of the plug on the rearward facing surface of the tailshaft housing.
I can't find any other plug on the tranny.

5R55 Tailhousing.jpg

Is your third brake light at the top of the rear windshield (03+) or the bottom (02-)?
Do you have cooled and heated front seats (03+), heated only (02-), or not heated or cooled?
Are your front windows auto up and down (03+), or auto down only (02-)?

Is your third brake light at the top of the rear windshield (03+) or the bottom (02-)?

Top (right above the sagging headliner)

Do you have cooled and heated front seats (03+), heated only (02-), or not heated or cooled?

Cooled and heated. Best feature on the car.

Are your front windows auto up and down (03+), or auto down only (02-)?

Auto up/down.

I get that the car is an '03 (door sticker etc.) but the JY is telling me it takes an N tranny and my indie tech put an N solenoid block in it. I have a line on an S tranny for an R&R but with my luck it will be incompatible.

Top (right above the sagging headliner)

Cooled and heated. Best feature on the car.

Auto up/down.

I get that the car is an '03 (door sticker etc.) but the JY is telling me it takes an N tranny and my indie tech put an N solenoid block in it. I have a line on an S tranny for an R&R but with my luck it will be incompatible.

AFAIK, the gen II PCM can only control the S transmission.

That's an N tailhousing.

Slap me silly and call me sally. Looks like this is (more) proof that some 03's had 5R55N's. Yet another trusted rule fails. What's next, gravity?

Here's another reference: http://www.charlietranny.com/Ford.htm Good pictures of the N, doesn't look like they have any of the S.

Crazy.
Wonder if it was different assembly plants? 5R55S shortages?
Must be different PCM flashes for the different trannies. Seems the SCT folks would've mentioned this, unless the flags they modify are the same regardless.

(I was joking about the '03 up there. :) )

AFAIK, the gen II PCM can only control the S transmission.

Correct. The synchronous (S) transmission in the '03+ speaks a totally different language than the non-synchronous (N) transmission. The transmission change was one of the 500+ changes for '03.

From the link:

Used 2002-up in some Ford products

Think what you want, though. IMHO, the engineers that built it know a little more than the local transmission shops. "Conventional" wisdom also says the '03+ exhaust system is different. The '03 is for sure, but my '06s have the same system as the first generation.

What!

I know that fill plug in the picture! I have changed the trans fluid on mine multiple times. And I alway top it off a little when I check it like it says on the trans itself. My fill plug faces rearward on my 2004...so I have an older 5r55N? Which letter/# in the vin specs the trans?

5R55%20Tailhousing.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back