What wire turns on/off after market amplifier?

Kevin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Help me out, I've finally blew my factory sub woofer, and am going to install the 12" Phoenix Gold w/500 watt amp from my engineless summer car.

I'm not an expert in installing car audio, but figure this should be a pretty simple swap.

1 - does the factory deck have outputs for a sub, or do I just use the plugs from the factory sub?

2 - need to find the wire that'll remotely turn on/off the amplifier

Essentially the swap will be direct, with only those 2 things to worry about.

Kevin said:
Help me out, I've finally blew my factory sub woofer, and am going to install the 12" Phoenix Gold w/500 watt amp from my engineless summer car.

I'm not an expert in installing car audio, but figure this should be a pretty simple swap.

1 - does the factory deck have outputs for a sub, or do I just use the plugs from the factory sub?

2 - need to find the wire that'll remotely turn on/off the amplifier

Essentially the swap will be direct, with only those 2 things to worry about.

Youll need power wire, ground wire, LOC (14.99 Line out converter), and a remote wire.

Run the power wire from the batter + to the + on the amp,
Run the ground from the - on the amp to the frame or the car.
Splice the line out converter into your rear speakers, this will give you the rcas.
Run the remote wire from a + power source, I've heard people runnin it from the power window switch, or a hott wire in the back of the head unit.. then run this to the remote wire input on the amp.

any other questions? :Beer

so, stupid question, need 2 locs to run a 4 ch amp, right? do they make a 4 ch loc? are any brands better than others?

Does anyone know the color or location of the remote/hot-run wire on the back of the CD Player in a 2004 LS without the audophile system?

00ls-sport said:
so, stupid question, need 2 locs to run a 4 ch amp, right? do they make a 4 ch loc? are any brands better than others?

you only need 1 set of rcas for an amp...so 1 loc..

I've used many locs, i've had a problem with only 1, in which i recieved some engine noise through the speaker, it required teh loc to be grounded. I had to then install a ground lope converter...
just go to circuit city, even kmart/meijers has it for 14.99..

Visalize said:
Does anyone know the color or location of the remote/hot-run wire on the back of the CD Player in a 2004 LS without the audophile system?

i cant recall of the top of my head been a while since i've had the hu out.. someone will reply..

Yup, that's pretty much what I need too, to know which wire to tap into.

Putting the box w/amp into the car and hooking up power is the easy stuff, getting it to 'talk' to the existing stereo is another problem.

Now I'm not so sure my sub is blown, it was making 'fluffy' popping noises last week, but didn't hear anything last night on my drive home with the music cranked. Maybe it's one of the other speakers.

Does anybody remember how to test the individule speakers? I think it was hitting 3 and 6 at the same time while listening to FM.

I'd start on it today, but it's pouring rain. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice out.

Kevin said:
Yup, that's pretty much what I need too, to know which wire to tap into.

Putting the box w/amp into the car and hooking up power is the easy stuff, getting it to 'talk' to the existing stereo is another problem.

Now I'm not so sure my sub is blown, it was making 'fluffy' popping noises last week, but didn't hear anything last night on my drive home with the music cranked. Maybe it's one of the other speakers.

Does anybody remember how to test the individule speakers? I think it was hitting 3 and 6 at the same time while listening to FM.

I'd start on it today, but it's pouring rain. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice out.

push 3 and 6 at the same time,
it could also be a bad connection..
you dont even want to know my current problem... when i roll the psgr window down the psgr speaker stops.. what a pain in the A$$.. I have to have the window about 6 inches up for the speaker to work!

Does anyone have a wiring guide or an idea what the remote wire is for the 2004 CD/tape factory deck? I wanna get on installing my amp and subs but don't wanna cut into the wrong wires.

Under the rear parcel shelf, in between the stock 6xwhatever" woofers. Remove the carpeted trim in the trunk and you'll see it dead-center.

Members online

Back