When you first got the Ls were you aware...?

kingofmy_h

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Were you aware that it needed 91+ premium gas?

When I got mine, 4 years ago, I did not know that it needed premium gas. I remember the sales man driving up to the gas station and said, This car does not need the most expensive gas, you'll be fine with the cheap gas. I drove my car for about a year with 87 gas until I bought the owners manual and read that it needed 91+(my car was missing the manual). This is my first car so i did not know much back then.

I wish these cars didnt need the premium, not because of the price but because some times I feel like I pay for premium and get something less than 91+. I usually go to Valero to fill up.

just curious to know

When I got mine, 4 years ago, I did not know that it needed premium gas. I remember the sales man driving up to the gas station and said, This car does not need the most expensive gas, you'll be fine with the cheap gas. I drove my car for about a year with 87 gas until I bought the owners manual and read that it needed 91+(my car was missing the manual). This is my first car so i did not know much back then.

I wish these cars didnt need the premium, not because of the price but because some times I feel like I pay for premium and get something less than 91+. I usually go to Valero to fill up.

just curious to know

Yep. My wife even mentioned the added cost. At about $150 a year it's no big deal. Also, the fuel door has a sticker on it that say 91+. I use Shell or Chevron. I tried Valero a couple of times and my LS didn't like it.

Did you notice an increase in gas milage when you switched to the 91+ ?

Yeah there is a huge sticker inside the fuel door that says 91+. Some people really don't believe in premium gas though a few of my buddies always give me :q:q:q:q for buying the premium.... "you idiot you don't need premium"... I hope they buy a premium car someday and put 87 in so I could say I told you so.

I too get those comments simmons. Even my mom rolls her eyes @ me when I fill up with premium.

Some of my buddies call me richboy and stuff when I fill up with premium lols.

They don't understand, they all think it's an 'image' thing.

looking to add a lincoln LS to my collection wheres a good place to stat looking i have a budget for about 5000.00

Last edited:
I knew too. I believe the 3.9 has 10.5 CR. It was one of the small concerns I had before I bought but were talking only .20 cents difference from 87 to 91 so no biggy really. Alot of people think gas is gas but I believe it is needed for sure.

A question I have had is that on the gas door sticker, there is a crossed out "PB" insignia. Is that refering to "PB" the gas station?

I knew too. I believe the 3.9 has 10.5 CR.

A question I have had is that on the gas door sticker, there is a crossed out "PB" insignia. Is that refering to "PB" the gas station?

Are you sure it didn't say BP? That would be BP (British Petroleum) gas. Ford recommended it for a while.......

IIRC, the 3.9L's compression is 11.55.

Are you sure it didn't say BP? That would be BP (British Petroleum) gas. Ford recommended it for a while.......

IIRC, the 3.9L's compression is 11.55.

LOL, I'm gonna have to look now on the door.. Never heard of British petroleum. I do believe it is 10.5 CR though.

LOL, I'm gonna have to look now on the door.. Never heard of British petroleum.

:lol:

Surely, you have seen the sign?

BP_Logo_color.gif

Howdy!

The crossed out "Pb" refers to the symbol of lead on the periodic table of elements. Basically - don't put leaded gas into this car!

I run premium in this car and my Navigator. They both run better, get slightly better economy which offsets the extra cost and I am not worried about the couple hundred dollars extra that I pay a year. It makes up for it with the slight performance boost and cleaning additives.

svtman

Howdy!

The crossed out "Pb" refers to the symbol of lead on the periodic table of elements. Basically - don't put leaded gas into this car!

svtman

DOH!! You're, of course, correct!

just curious to know

The one thing I worry about is it really premium or is all the gas coming out of the same tank.:eek:

Wow! There are people out there that buy cars without reading up on them first? I knew well in advance of my purchases what I was in for with all the vehicles I own.

Between the damage that can occur with preignition and the lowered power and fuel economy in using lower grade fuels, you are best off to use what it calls for, no matter what car it is.

My 2006 Ranger 4x4 4.0L says right on the factory fuel cap (on the cap itself, not the door) "Ford recommends BP Unleaded Fuel" or something to that effect.

i wasnt aware at the time but the first time i went to fill up i saw the sticker. its been 91 or above ever since. well except one time while driving through utah i was really low and stopped at the onyl gas station i could see and the highest they had was 89 so ive been good besides that. and i agree that paying a little more is no big deal. doesnt bother me.

mine pings and runs like $hit on anything under 93

mine pings and runs like $hit on anything under 93

were do you live to be able to get gas that high? the town i live in had 1 gas station that had 94 but when gas got really high last summer they went to 91 as their highest.

What's Super Unleaded?

Hey what are you some dumb @ss newbie ... There's this think called search before you bother us with stupid questions that with a little effort on your part you could find the answer. You're just lucky that there are nice members who tried to answer you dumb @ss question ...:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back