Where are the gounds?? Voltage Spike!!

lightman02

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well here it goes, I had a bad alternator I had it rebuilt and istalled it. I was getting over 16 volts out of the rebuilt one. I put in a new alternator and was getting the 14.5 which is normal. However it then shot back up to 16 volts for a few seconds and then went back to normal and has been fine for the last two days only daytime driving. I took the car out for the first time at night since the new alternator was installed and I saw the cluster get real bright for a second (high voltage) and give me a tail lamp warning. The warning went away on it's own and I did a status check and everyting was fine. So it seems like I got a voltage spike so I'm thinking there is still an issue and I don't think it's the alternator. So my question is where are all the grounds on a 02 V8 LS besides the main battery one. I think I must have a short somewhere for this to be happening. Has anyone ever seen anything like this. The battery light is off and status shows that charging system is normal.

there are 19 pages of ground dstribution schematics in the manual.... there is a lot of points to review. I do not know of a common one - other than the actual battery-to-chassis ground connector that is prone to loosening.

there are 19 pages of ground dstribution schematics in the manual.... there is a lot of points to review. I do not know of a common one - other than the actual battery-to-chassis ground connector that is prone to loosening.

Anyone have the schematics they can sent me??

Anyone have the schematics they can sent me??

Anyone?? I noticed that I get the tail light out problem only at night, and last night I got a left turn lamp out reading but as soon as I activated the working turn lamp the error went away. So far I seem to have these issues when the lights are on. So maybee I'm gettin closer??

Sorry, I don't have gen I schematics.
I would be more suspicious of the voltage feedback wire to the alternator than the grounds (although it could be the grounds). This should be a red wire to the alternator on the three pin connector.

Members online

No members online now.
Back