Where to buy Xcal

IrishV8LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering where the best place to buy an xcal tuner and who has the best tune?

Im pretty sure you have to buy it from SCT, the company that makes them. You need one programmed specifically for your vehicle.

As for tunes, I remember ILLS being shot around and one other but I forgot their name :(

ILLS (Robert) and Torrie (torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com) are the primary tuners LvCers use. Both can sell you the device.

yes they do - they sell it with the base stock tune that they claimed dynoed at 14rwhp+

But - it's a better option to buy form a tuner that you can work with over time to get the tune exactly like you want and then future tune through any additional upgrades.

yes they do - they sell it with the base stock tune that they claimed dynoed at 14rwhp+

well that must be "new" because when I bought PRP, Chip and Chip burner and Xcal 2 they told me they "didn't sell" to end users and I would have to get it from a authorized dealer.

NOW I guess SCT is competing WITH their dealer sales by Selling to end users.

How very typical of SCT.

Yep - kinda crappy. The new touch-screen tuner is not even avaliable to the reseller yet - only from SCT directly.

Yep - kinda crappy. The new touch-screen tuner is not even avaliable to the reseller yet - only from SCT directly.

As buggy/crappy as the new SCT devices are, they unknowingly have done the resellers a favor.. believe it or not.

is the sct stuff the only tuner for an ls? if so what sct product is the best?

it is that I know of. There have been others that initially advertised but none that I know worked

your choices are limited to XCal3 or LiveWire - both do exactly the same thing for tuning, but the LiveWire has more features - so it depends on what you want to use it for and if that's worth the extra $$$

I called a shop here in Pittsburgh about getting a tune. He verified with SCT that they supported the LS (which I told him ahead of time) and that the device would cost me 389.00. Once the tune was installed he would have to dyno tune it but claims it wouldn't be worth the $$$ for only 14rwhp. He said the people at SCT are working on a new tuner for the LS and have a test model at their shop right now. He suggested I upgrade the intake, mufflers, and then purchase the tune and have the LS dyno'd; he also suggested I wait for the newly released one from SCT which will have pre-loaded tune programs?

the preloaded tunes were the ones SCT developed in-house and gave a dyno tested 14rwhp improvement. Working with a tuning shop we were able to do a little better than that at 19rwhp.

the new tuner they are testing is the new Touch Screen Xtreme - which they announced but have not turned over to their dealer network yet. The device is cool - but the tuning is exactly the same - it cannot make more horsepower, just a better interface.

I wait for the newly released one from SCT which will have pre-loaded tune programs??

the "tuning device" has NO bearing on the gains that come from the tune.
you can get the same GAINS from an X-1, X-2 or X-3

the majic is IN the tune file.. not the device that "holds the tune".

and the preloaded tunes are NOT gonna be worth a crap.
They are "canned/off the shelf" tunes.. not "custom tunes".

Sounds like you really need to find another SCT dealer, that isn't focused on SELLING you somethng you dont need.. like "waiting for the new device".
What a load of crock.

the new tuner they are testing is the new Touch Screen Xtreme - which they announced but have not turned over to their dealer network yet. The device is cool - but the tuning is exactly the same - it cannot make more horsepower, just a better interface.

+1...well said.

myself, I'd stay away from the "latest and greatest" sct device.
give them 5-9 months to get the pre production bugs out of them

After all, the touch screen is roughly a GRAND!!!
you dont want to pay 1K to be a beta tester.

know wonder his SCT dealer wants him to wait for the 1K touch screen.
He "sees a lincoln owner" and gets $$$$$ signs where his pupils used to be.

Just the fact that the LS owner knew the LS was supported and the t00ner didn't is reason enough to RUN RUN RUN from that guy.

I made the same mistake.. looking for a LOCAL sct dealer.
that was a BAD BAD mistake.

I THOUGHT i was getting around the whole "mail order" tune process.
Until I discovered my "t00ner of choice" couldn't even extract my tune file from his software.

"I" knew more about it than THEY did.
After 4-5 months of them sending me a STOCK file.. I went down there and created my own tune file and emailed it to myself from their PC.

Just because they are LOCAL doesnt mean your gonna circumvent "tooner issues"

Members online

Back