where to cut to add true duals

young mark 8 lover

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
where should i cut the third cat off to put in a x pipe the easiest

uploadfromtaptalk1375729436178.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1375729458746.jpg

Yes. Get rid of that third cat. It is completely useless. And you can sell it on fleabay and make enough to pay for the true duals :D I used an H-pipe on my '97 but a lot of folks like the X-pipe. Either one works.

search is your friend...there are lots and lots of pics of converted exhaust systems....look through threads started by DLF

The stock piping in the trans area is not even 2" because it dual walled.
If you connect it all the way in the front, just buy the S pipes they sell with the x-pipe and use that too unless you have one preferred to buy. I would personally cut it close to the two cats and then run it.

m_maker's photo

Exhaust_zps35dcbd4e.jpg

Get this kit too and then you'll know it was done right. $155.00 304 Stainless Steel, 2.5 Inch, Standard X-Section unless that has changed. I don't even know what size pipe you're going with.

trubendz_tbird_partial_xpipe_pic.jpg

Something for you to ponder on...

trubendz_tbird_partial_xpipe_pic.jpg

The stock piping in the trans area is not even 2" because it dual walled.
If you connect it all the way in the front, just buy the S pipes they sell with the x-pipe and use that too unless you have one preferred to buy. I would personally cut it close to the two cats and then run it.

m_maker's photo

Exhaust_zps35dcbd4e.jpg

Get this kit too and then you'll know it was done right. $155.00 304 Stainless Steel, 2.5 Inch, Standard X-Section unless that has changed. I don't even know what size pipe you're going with.

View attachment 828461187

Something for you to ponder on...

dual 2.5 where wld i cut to put in the pipe u showed me

i used to log into markviii.org back in like 2005 but that place is dead now....and plus everybody either end up getting banned b/c the owner is very strict with language....ive been banned myself several times.

If you get the 2.5 Inch, Standard X-Section with S-pipes, that will have you cutting well away from the 3rd cat and also getting rid of the small OD area in the bends before it goes into the 3rd cat. All of that would be eliminated. If you have a shop in your area, find out if they have a mandrel bender. It might be cheaper for them to do it. There are no mandrel bend shops around me anywhere. The shop will know right where it needs to be cut.

If you get the 2.5 Inch, Standard X-Section with S-pipes, that will have you cutting well away from the 3rd cat and also getting rid of the small OD area in the bends before it goes into the 3rd cat. All of that would be eliminated. If you have a shop in your area, find out if they have a mandrel bender. It might be cheaper for them to do it. There are no mandrel bend shops around me anywhere. The shop will know right where it needs to be cut.

is there any direct bolt on kits

this is an easy question to answer. you remove the stock manifolds. replace them with headers and then run new pipe all the way out the rear. this way you dont have to cut anything.

o ok do u think it wld b better if i purchased all the tubes seperate

What I'm saying is that if you get the S-pipe kit with the X and the other kit you were going to get that goes from where the X would be, all the way to the rear, that would be enough. You would have much more opened pipe through out the whole system. The only thing you would be left buying would be mufflers and tips. I would find out if a local shop will do it and if they have the capability of mandrel bends before buying anything. Maybe they can do it and you furnish the X-Pipe, mufflers and tips.

Take it to a reputable exhaust shop and tell them what you want. It's that simple.

this is an easy question to answer. you remove the stock manifolds. replace them with headers and then run new pipe all the way out the rear. this way you dont have to cut anything.

tht wld involve pullin the engine im on a limited budget and i want to keep atleast two cats seein ill b movin to pa possibly cuz i cnt goto cali for college with the 3rd cat off

Members online

No members online now.
Back