where to cut to add true duals

tht wld involve pullin the engine im on a limited budget and i want to keep atleast two cats seein ill b movin to pa possibly cuz i cnt goto cali for college with the 3rd cat off
Young M8L, just a small bit of well-intentioned advice for you: there are dozens upon dozens of extremely knowledgeable and experienced mechanics and Mark VIII enthusiasts on LVC. Most of these guys, myself included, are as old or older than your dad.
You are apt to receive much more helpful advice when you post in clear, understandable text. Ghetto jibba-jabba and vague text abbreviations are generally not well-received and often not responded to.
-----
re; your exhaust, here's what i did on my brown car; find a shop to cut the resonator and third cat, (many shops won't cut it, but some will). The fact is the 3rd cat does not affect emissions. Then run a muffled or un-muffled x-pipe crossover where the resonator was to balance pressure, take 2.5'' true duals to the bumper, and add mufflers of your choice. I have flowmaster 40's: no real bad drone but they are loud, the x-over makes it smooth though. Alot of guys like magnaflows or Lincoln Motor Sports mufflers with dual outlets on each muffler. Exhaust threads are all over the place here, you gotta search and read.

Young M8L, just a small bit of well-intentioned advice for you: there are dozens upon dozens of extremely knowledgeable and experienced mechanics and Mark VIII enthusiasts on LVC. Most of these guys, myself included, are as old or older than your dad.
You are apt to receive much more helpful advice when you post in clear, understandable text. Ghetto jibba-jabba and vague text abbreviations are generally not well-received and often not responded to.

sorry

where do i get tht s x pipe nd two pipes from

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-317/89-dsh-98-FORD-fdsh-LINCOLN-fdsh-MERCURY-RETROFIT-X-dsh-PIPE/Detail

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-117/93-dsh-98-MARK-VIII-EXHAUST/Detail

Same stuff from the same place as the ebay ad. I ordered everything from them but then ended up selling some of it. I still have the mufflers and tips. Anyway,if you ask them to add the front section to the rear section box, they will. I had them add some 45's to my box and they didn't mind at all. Shipping might be cheaper but I can tell you now that by the time you're done getting everything to have installed, you're looking at an easy $700 just for parts, then more for installing them. It adds up fast so be prepared but if you go with aluminized steel, that will knock off a lot. I went with all SS pipe from them and that's why I was in the $700 to $800 range so quick. Mufflers and a quality X with nice tips is where the good sound is going to come from. Well, the tips are mainly for looks but sound is a part of them too.

Lets hear it for the old guys I find it hard to read some of the English language..Pictures are much better

Ghetto jibba-jabba and vague text abbreviations are generally not well-received and often not responded to.

Makes a person seem lazy and unintelligent.

With that, you can cut anywhere after the front cats and before the third cat. Any exhaust shop can plumb that up, no problem.

Or...

Do what I did. Find a LSC in the junk yard, gen1 or 2 and swap it onto your car. It's cake. And cheap. Then just have someone replace the third cat with an X if you want.

...cuz i cnt goto cali for college with the 3rd cat off

Yes you can. The 3rd cat has nothing to do with emissions. There's no O2 sensor downstream of it so removing it won't have any effect on the OBD-II readings. You just have to find a muffler shop that will cut it off and put in an X- or H-pipe. I didn't have any trouble with my shop doing it.

Or just leave your stock exhaust alone like I did. It's quieter that way.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

what cherry bombs did you use

Don't know. I just told them to put in some cherry bomb glasspacks. I don't know what brand they were.

I find it hard to believe that an 18 year old kid would find a $700+ exhaust system budget friendly..and that's not even including the installation. Dude if I were you I would take your car to a couple exhaust shops have them put it up on a lift and show them some pictures of guys dual exhaust set ups from this site..god knows theres plenty of pictures around here. At most buy whatever mufflers you want to use and buy a universal x pipe. You don't need stainless and you don't need mandrel bent stuff if you're just looking for a basic dual exhaust. They can easily bend an exhaust out of 2 1/2" aluminized pipe..been done many times before..ask dnsherrel, his is not a kit. I mean if you have the money then go for it, buy the mandrel systems kit..that's what I will do eventually but in the end I like a clean looking exhaust with no crush bends and I want stainless...BUT like I said it is not necessary and you won't be able to tell a damn bit of difference by sound

2011-10-24130602.jpg38821464021_large.jpgCustomExhaust.jpgFGGDXCA7LKNDNCA8EWY4KCAUCSPL8CAMMFE4HCAVT4QP1CA6LABTPCAN3CGI9CA3911L4CAHWLE55CAIHA0S5CAVIDUQSCA3.jpgm10.jpgmarkVIII030.jpg
h-pipe.jpg
And this is mine.

2011-10-24130602.jpg

38821464021_large.jpg

CustomExhaust.jpg

FGGDXCA7LKNDNCA8EWY4KCAUCSPL8CAMMFE4HCAVT4QP1CA6LABTPCAN3CGI9CA3911L4CAHWLE55CAIHA0S5CAVIDUQSCA3.jpg

m10.jpg

markVIII030.jpg

h-pipe.jpg

I agree with Kevin. That stuff gets very pricey by the time you get all of it. Just getting the X added where the 3rd cat is now will free up a lot of air and some nice mufflers will make it sound good. Much much cheaper too. Let the shop do the work.

I find it hard to believe that an 18 year old kid would find a $700+ exhaust system budget friendly..and that's not even including the installation. Dude if I were you I would take your car to a couple exhaust shops have them put it up on a lift and show them some pictures of guys dual exhaust set ups from this site..god knows theres plenty of pictures around here. At most buy whatever mufflers you want to use and buy a universal x pipe. You don't need stainless and you don't need mandrel bent stuff if you're just looking for a basic dual exhaust. They can easily bend an exhaust out of 2 1/2" aluminized pipe..been done many times before..ask dnsherrel, his is not a kit. I mean if you have the money then go for it, buy the mandrel systems kit..that's what I will do eventually but in the end I like a clean looking exhaust with no crush bends and I want stainless...BUT like I said it is not necessary and you won't be able to tell a damn bit of difference by sound

theres a possiblity that i can have it all welded for little to nothing by a family friend if i help so thats why im going with mandral bent and other stuff because im saving tons on labor

theres a possiblity that i can have it all welded for little to nothing by a family friend if i help so thats why im going with mandral bent and other stuff because im saving tons on labor

If thats the case, that's even MORE reason to not spend a bunch of money on that mandrel bent pipe kit..just the pipe alone..no mufflers or tips is $450 shipped. If you have a family friend who can do it that won't charge labor then all you're essentially paying for is the pipe that the muffler shop has in stock which will be a fraction the cost of the stainless mandrel bent stuff. But if you got the money go for it..but if I were you I'd save a bit and go the cheaper route and put some of that extra $$ into fixing your drivers side front fender..

If thats the case, that's even MORE reason to not spend a bunch of money on that mandrel bent pipe kit..just the pipe alone..no mufflers or tips is $450 shipped. If you have a family friend who can do it that won't charge labor then all you're essentially paying for is the pipe that the muffler shop has in stock which will be a fraction the cost of the stainless mandrel bent stuff. But if you got the money go for it..but if I were you I'd save a bit and go the cheaper route and put some of that extra $$ into fixing your drivers side front fender..

that fenders trashed i cant get it to line up i took it off to pop out some dents and the front.mount where its behind the headlight in the fender is bent

Members online

No members online now.
Back