Why is FLM killing the LS?

Tidbits from the future car articles in the various magazines. I posted a link to one such tidbit.

Dutch said:
Tidbits from the future car articles in the various magazines. I posted a link to one such tidbit.

So no inside information??

Dutch said:

Very seldom do the tidbits seem to agree; I think we've already seen a concept from another car rag for a 2007 LS redesign on here.

In my opinion before they go stuffing 400+ horsepower under the hood and building them out of unobatanium the LS needs a real name, in the world of Ts, Ls, Rs, Js, Xs, etc, the name LS just sounds bland and unremarkable.

They are running some radio ads out here in LA where they call it the "Performance LS", if I didn't know what a LS is I would just assume that it’s some sort of performance package for the rest of the vehicles named which all have 'real' names.

After a rename they need to figure out who their targets are, I don't know that its going to help things by initially building high end high dollar cars but how about competing with the "I just got my first white collar job" BMW, Benz, Audi etc types. Once the vehicle has name recognition and street 'credit' then develop a high model to go after the M series and the V and the other high end cars.

slagburn said:
In my opinion before they go stuffing 400+ horsepower under the hood and building them out of unobatanium the LS needs a real name, in the world of Ts, Ls, Rs, Js, Xs, etc, the name LS just sounds bland and unremarkable.

This has been a problem from day one. FMC should have killed the Continental earlier and called the LS the Continental. While recent versions of that car were not associated with the market they were going after the name once did symbolize an American car with European inspirations. Even the recent mismatch between the market Lincoln was chasing with the LS and the market recent Continentals were selling to the name would have been no worse than the name they used.

I have heard that originally the cars were to be called LS300 and LS400 (for engine displacement) but Lexus rightly objected.

CaptainZilog said:
funkcity, no offence man, but both Volvo (passenger division) and Jaguar are Ford now... No point in competing with yourself.

Jaguar is not Ford.

Jaguar developed their V-8

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html

The next Jaguar XK coupe and conv't will use the all-Jaguar, all-new chassis from the aluminum XJ. The next Jaguar S-Type will likely use the aluminum XJ's chassis. The X-Type needs to die.

181850.1-lg.jpg

from wardsauto.com

"Using aluminum for next-generation Jaguars “is not something we can confirm today, but given the fact that we spent five years researching and doing all the work on aluminum and we’re so pleased with the results we’ve got back so far, there’s a very good chance it will stay a part of our future,” Michael Mohan, chief program engineer-XJ Series, tells Ward’s at a long-wheelbase XJ drive event here."

Lincoln should take the LS's chassis and

- give it bold styling like the Continental concept of 2002

- give it a powerful V-8 and the upcoming 3.5l V-6

- have the people responsible for the sensational 05 Mustang work with the next Lincolns

p.s. Mercury should get a new coupe by using the 05 Mustang's chassis and running gear with new exterior and interior styling.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2003-Mercury-Messenger-Concept.htm

memo said:
Jaguar is not Ford.
Ford has taken the position that Jaguar will be the high-end lux line, and Lincoln will not compete in the +$50k area.

Like CaptainZilog said - ... No point in competing with yourself.

memo: Ford OWNS Jaguar. Jacque Nasser went on a buying spree in his short tenure and bought, to my knowledge:
Jaguar, Aston Martin, Volvo passenger division, Mazda (at least as much as Japan would allow, which is a controlling share) and Land Rover. Those are all Ford companies, along with Hertz rental and some financial company. Don't be a dick.

What is it with me buying a vehicle and then the builder killing the line (S-series:Gone F-Body:Gone LS:???). I tell you what, let me know what you all plan to get into and I won't buy one. I think I'm bad luck...

GM had alot of problems with their F-bodies because they were constantly competing with the Corvette. They figured that if they came out with a Camaro/Firebird that had loads of power and all the goodies of a Corvette that it would be seen as a family friendly vette and keep them from making the obscene amount of money they do off that thing. Same with the LS. FLM can make a mint off a car just by saying the name Jaguar. Why continue to make a vehicle with a name that reminds most people (that is until they try to race a Mark or LS) of retirement homes...

Members online

No members online now.
Back