Why Kooks Headers?

JoeyLincolnMK8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i do not know why a lot of us MarkVIII owners go with Kooks as headers of choice. Is there a reason why the majority picks Kooks over, lets just say BBK, MAC, EDELBROCK? im just curious, does Kooks perform better than the others? sorry guys, if it seems like i am rabbling. i appreicate it thanks.

The Ford Motorsport shorties fit with no problems? Did you notice a difference or not?

Did you have to drop the k-member to install the shorties?

95LSC32V said:
Did you have to drop the k-member to install the shorties?

i picked them because 1they don't have to be modified.. and they're not that expensive as say a custom job for this car.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
i do not know why a lot of us MarkVIII owners go with Kooks as headers of choice. Is there a reason why the majority picks Kooks over, lets just say BBK, MAC, EDELBROCK? im just curious, does Kooks perform better than the others? sorry guys, if it seems like i am rabbling. i appreicate it thanks.

Because Kooks probably makes the finest header in the world that you can buy. They fit, they work, they last...and they out perform most everything else out there. They are a bitch to install, but if you're looking for every last bit of hp you can find, they're the ones. Bassani also makes an incredible header, but I don't know of one available for these cars. BBK and Edelbrock make a decent tube, but they are just too mass produced and aren't as nice and well engineered a product.

MAC is the single largest POS company on the market and I wouldn't own a thing they make if they paid me to take it.

Take a close look at Kooks compared to others and look at the quality of the welds, the materials used, and measure all the tubes. You will understand why they are so much more expensive. Evan Smith swears he picked up a tenth going to Kooks on his NHRA Stock Eliminator record holder.

All my LS1, F body frends love there kooks and that is the first place i looked I love them

I'm sory to revive such an old thread, but I would like to ask of the people with Kooks headers what the average install time was.

What should I expect a shop to charge me for installing them?

Also, suggestions on what to do with the exhaust? At this time, I have a borla Cat-back, on stock cats. Yes, SCP cats would replace the stockers at the same time.

Thank you for your input.

Frogman said:
I'm sory to revive such an old thread, but I would like to ask of the people with Kooks headers what the average install time was.

Just about an entire day. Support the engine with an engine hoist. Undo the k-member bolts and tranny crossmember bolts. Drop the subframe and lower the engine enough to take off the exhaust manifolds and motor mounts. If you do this, and you plan on changing the front sway bar, DO IT NOW! Use stage 8 locking bolts with the headers. You won't have to worry about the bolts backing out then.

Frogman said:
What should I expect a shop to charge me for installing them?

One arm and one leg

Frogman said:
Also, suggestions on what to do with the exhaust? At this time, I have a borla Cat-back, on stock cats. Yes, SCP cats would replace the stockers at the same time.

Thank you for your input.

You should be fine with a 2.5" dual exhaust.

I think well need to shurg Dan at Speed Freak, to make more sets of long tubes :)!! I'm willing to pay the price if needed, nothing is as nice as long tubes. I don't know of a single company that makes them for the Mark, might make them for the Cobras, but they still won't fit in the Mark engine bay, with out refitment.
Anyone know any details from Speed Freak?

Members online

Back