Wipers won't stop running.

Piktureit

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently my wipers began acting up. When I turn them off, they would keep running for a few swipes before stopping. The last time this happened, they never turned off. I had to pull the fuse to get them to keep from wiping a dry window. I'm thinking it's either something in the stalk switch or the motor. Has anyone else run into an issue like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just finished working on this cars convoluted cooling system and realizing the wipers don't work and I have more wrenches to turn is depressing. It's a 2000 V8 and I'm assuming the wiper motor is as much fun to get to as everything else on this car has been. Wheeee! Thanks in advance for any ideas y'all may have!

multi-function switch would be at the top of my list of suspects

I had this happen inadvertently, this past summer.

I was working on troubleshooting overheating and had to park the wipers at mid-windshield. I left some nuts up on the cowl and when I went and tested the DCCV function, I had forgotten the nuts were down at the bottom of the wiper park area. I turned on the key and the wipers tried to park, and the motor could not rotate fully, due to the nuts being on the cowl. The motor quickly smoked. I too had to pull the fuse. It turned out to be the parking etch in the motor (or whatever it has to send the wipers to the park position internally) melted down, shorted out, and was then providing constant power to the motor. I had to change the motor. Getting it out is not too bad, but you have to remove the wipers and cowl, brace, and drain down some coolant in order to remove the degas bottle. Once the bottle is out, three bolts ( IIRC) and the electrical connector for the wiper motor is all that stands between you and having the entire assembly out. Once it is out, a single bolt for the gear train and 3 bolts hold the motor into the gear train. I exchanged the motor with a remanufactured wiper motor from Autozone for around $55 USD.

Does anyone know a way to test whether it's the switch or the motor without tearing into the motor or throwing parts at it?

Does anyone know a way to test whether it's the switch or the motor without tearing into the motor or throwing parts at it?

You have a gen I, so it could actually be the switch, the motor, a wiper relay, or the FEM. It's probably the motor.

If the wipers stop with you turn the key off, then it's not the main wiper relay.
Remove the wiper run/park relay. With the key on and the switch off, check for 12V across the contacts (in the relay socket) for the relay coil. If you have 12V, then it's the switch or the FEM. If you don't then it's the relay or the wiper motor. Try a new relay or jumper between the normally closed relay contacts in the socket. If the wipers keep running instead of parking, then it's the wiper motor.

Members online

Back