wobbling

Dacket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel wobbles a lot, especially when i get around 45+ mph. What all do you guys think this is? I know my alignment is off a little bit, and one of my ball joints or control arms need replacing. Could these have anything to do with that? Or just unbalanced wheels? The ride is consistently bumpy as well. Like the car shakes.

Yes, that can have something to do with steering wheel shake at those speeds. Not saying that's it, but it could be. For instance, I have a steering wheel shake right now. But I have a new lower ball joint and outer tie rod sitting in the garage, and going in this weekend to remedy it.

Sounds like a balancing issue. Could also be an out-of-round or slightly bent wheel.

Well it didnt shake like this when I got the car a few months ago and i didnt hit anything hard enough to bend my wheel i dont think. One of my tires had a pin hole leak in it so i put a can of fix a flat in there till i can get some new tires. Maybe some of that settled on one side of my tire and threw it off blance. But that was a rear tire so i dont know. Also it seems to shake a lot less when its about 80℉ out so that kind of confuses me as well.

Well it didnt shake like this when I got the car a few months ago and i didnt hit anything hard enough to bend my wheel i dont think. One of my tires had a pin hole leak in it so i put a can of fix a flat in there till i can get some new tires. Maybe some of that settled on one side of my tire and threw it off blance. But that was a rear tire so i dont know. Also it seems to shake a lot less when its about 80℉ out so that kind of confuses me as well.

That Fix-a-Flat crap will really throw off the balance of a wheel/tire. I would get that stuff out of there ASAP and have the tire rebalanced.

Yeah i hated to use it but i needed to get to work and back. How am i supposed to get it out of the tire?

Yeah i hated to use it but i needed to get to work and back. How am i supposed to get it out of the tire?

Either replace the tire or have the tire removed, clean the stuff out then have the tire remounted. That stuff will play havoc with the balance as long as it's in there.

Most tire shops will patch a tire for really cheap... I had it done on my last car multiple times... It was an '88 so noway I was buying new tires for the thing!

One time I took it in for a patch and they didn't charge me a dime, I dunno if it is because im a returning customer or they were in a good mood. But most tire shops can do this in about 10 minutes.

Yeah I think I'm just going to replace my tires. I'm due for some new ones anyway so hopefully that will fix the problem. But that won't be for 2 weeks... I hope nothing goes wrong till then.

Any more info than that NYC? That arrow doesn't tell me much about the tire! :p

fix-a-flat is nasty :q:q:q:q it will destroy the innerliner of your tire. Most places wont even fix a tire with that stuff in it anymore.

The wobble is probably a balance issue--I can tell you from experience that the LS's suspension is very sensitive to balance. When my '04 threw a wheel weight, the vibration was immediately noticeable; while I was awaiting the delivery of the Michelins, I was running three 17" Bridgestone-shod wheels and one 16" Continental-shod wheel, and I could have told you which corner had the Conti even if I hadn't been the one to install it.

I don't know the Kumhos or Hankooks, but I can tell you that the Tire Rack's ratings on the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are both right on the money. They're a bit more expensive than the tires you spec'd, but they're well worth the money, IMHO.

I've never been a big Michelin fan, but the new Pilot Sport A/S Plus is an outstanding tire (at least on my LS). They have really good grip, and they're fairly quiet, to boot. They are just a hair better than the Bridgestones they replaced, so you can't go wrong with either, IMHO.

the hankooks are a very good tire the v4es and the k104 are excellent tires for performance. fix a flat is awful stuff also. but mainly it sounds like you really have a tie rod or balljoint issue first and foremost.:D

Maybe I should take it somewhere then... damn.

Well I picked up a set of GoodYear Eagle GT's 235/55 17 for $584 out the door. Sears was having a sale for buy 3 get 1 free, so I jumped on it. Completely fixed my issue. I guess I didn't realize how bad my tires really were till I got new ones. Plus the previous owner had 1 tire the wrong size :rolleyes:

Considering all of the things I've seen and had to fix in this car already, I can tell the previous owner was a younger someone who didn't really know what they were doing and just jimmy rigged most of the crap. Its so annoying, but I'm working one step at a time to turn this car around and make it better. Oh and I love the tires so far, they ride soooooooo much better than before.

Members online

Back