WTF is this???

They been peddling that garbage on ebay for years. They've been advertising it as a "chip", but all you get is a resistor that you can snag @ Radio Shack for 25 cents, and you end up paying $30. It still aggravates me to see that crap coming up on all my searches and ebay does nothing about it depsite tons of complaints and false advertising!

Yeah, what he said.

I actually did that IAT resistor trick on an old Formula of mine. 50 cents for like a pack of ten resistors.

i should leave a message and say, "if i install this and dyno my car, and if i DO NOT get 21+ horsepower i want my money back".

Just with the price of shipping, that guy will cover all his cost and still have a profit of over 100%. Add to that the amount the bidder offers, and cha-ching. That type of part is available at Radio Shack for a dollar or two. And the best part, your car's performance doesn't really improve.

Black87LSC said:
I've heard of all these pieces 'o' $hit... Somebody told me that the resistor just makes the sensors think it's ALWAYS a certain set temperature.

That's exactly what is does. It can also cause detonation by doing that too...

I have a friend who purchased a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Thought he has something fast..(This wasn't a kid... 35 year old adult)...

Got it home and was bragging about it..

Another friend of mine let him drive his Magnum.

The deal was then he would be get to drive the Eclipse.

After driving the Magnum the guy would let my other friend drive the Eclipse.

The next day he tells me that he bought a chip for his Eclipse 20+ hp and I got a cold air intake.

I asked him where he got the chip from he said proud eBay for only $30.

I told him it's not a chip and wouldn't work.

Well after installing the so called eBay chip and cold air intake the guy has come to the conclusion he's got a cute little car..

mespock said:
I have a friend who purchased a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Thought he has something fast..(This wasn't a kid... 35 year old adult)...
Got it home and was bragging about it..
Another friend of mine let him drive his Magnum.
The deal was then he would be get to drive the Eclipse.
After driving the Magnum the guy would let my other friend drive the Eclipse.
The next day he tells me that he bought a chip for his Eclipse 20+ hp and I got a cold air intake.
I asked him where he got the chip from he said proud eBay for only $30.
I told him it's not a chip and wouldn't work.
Well after installing the so called eBay chip and cold air intake the guy has come to the conclusion he's got a cute little car..

Awwww thats cute.

Hate to burst your bubble guys... but it's legit, in a non-legit manner.

The ten cent resistor, loops a sensor. Telling your computer that the engine is COLD. 99% of the time you can get a good 15 or so BHP. So is it really a lie?

Also, it's $20-$30 for the "chip"

Yes it's a 15c Radio Shack Resistor, but it DOES do the job.

You know what that nice $1000 PC in front of you right now costs me to make? About $200.

So If I make that much markup on a PC, why can't some dude who wires a resistor?

You know how much 200mb of webspace costs me to host to you? 0. But I charge $2-$7 for it. How's that for a markup?

It's all around you everyday. Every single item you buy costs 2% of what you paid. But you buy it.

If you put your car on the Dyno, and it doesn't show an increase in HP than you have a case against the guy. Unfortunately, that's not happening. You will see the increase.. he gets away scott free.

I wouldn't rush out and buy one, thats for sure... but think about it... do you crucify the guy for making money on a little knowledge?

hottweelz said:
Hate to burst your bubble guys... but it's legit, in a non-legit manner.

The ten cent resistor, loops a sensor. Telling your computer that the engine is COLD. 99% of the time you can get a good 15 or so BHP. So is it really a lie?

Also, it's $20-$30 for the "chip"

Yes it's a 15c Radio Shack Resistor, but it DOES do the job.

You know what that nice $1000 PC in front of you right now costs me to make? About $200.

So If I make that much markup on a PC, why can't some dude who wires a resistor?

You know how much 200mb of webspace costs me to host to you? 0. But I charge $2-$7 for it. How's that for a markup?

It's all around you everyday. Every single item you buy costs 2% of what you paid. But you buy it.

If you put your car on the Dyno, and it doesn't show an increase in HP than you have a case against the guy. Unfortunately, that's not happening. You will see the increase.. he gets away scott free.

I wouldn't rush out and buy one, thats for sure... but think about it... do you crucify the guy for making money on a little knowledge?

I still don't think its worth a cent out of my pocket, so lets trick are PCM to think that the car is running colder aka make it dump a crap load of fuel into the engine, so much for 14.7/1 (haha not like half the guys here want that right :) ), It might work somewhat on OBD-I cars but OBD-II, will set a code, or a DTC in the memory, the PCM will relize that its running cold all the time, and use ratonailty, from other sensors to figure out the actual temp. of the motor. If that dosen't work it will Suspend the reading from the ATC, or whatever you hook your "chip" up too, some are diffrent. So with newer cars the car can look right past that resistor, and work around it. Still stupid idea..I think...

:iconcur: I have heard of those things giving a few hp but its not worth it for the damage it will potentially cause. Clogged cats, bad O2 sensors, etc from too much fuel over time. Stay far away.......

evillally said:
It still aggravates me to see that crap coming up on all my searches and ebay does nothing about it depsite tons of complaints and false advertising!

This was what my actual rant was about... more or less... complain to the SEC about the scam Coke pulled back in '86 with New Coke or something...

Bothering Ebay with b/s like this prevents them from stopping the REAL Scams like the "Nigeria 419 Scam" or Sellers who never send the product sold.

I bet you this HP Chip seller guy actually sends the product :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back