2 Door luxury car like Mark VIIIs??

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So my dad needs another car in the near future to replace his 95 Lincoln Continental which he has had for 7 years.(73K-205K) His dream car is a Corvette but he has never driven one and I know he likes luxurious interior's which the Corvette does not have.

I was thinking of these cars (up to $9,000 or so)
1. Lincoln Mark VIII- of course:)
2. Nissan 350Z
3. Infiniti G35

So far these are the only cars I can think of that are two door and nice IMHO but if you know any others, list em. Maybe there are other forgotten cars like the Mark VIII that i just don't know about. Have to be reliable, not like a a Eldorado or something....lol

A 350Z doesn't have a luxurious interior! Lol.

I can think of quite a few 'forgotten' luxury coupes that may fit the budget, I just don't see much point in listing them, as a gen 2 Mark VIII would suffice for these reasons:

* A very good condition Mark can be picked up for around 3-6K.

* The problems they do have are well known and are generally not too serious.

* The money saved from not blowing the whole of the 9K budget can be kept for future fixes / mods.

Mind, if he's always wanted a Corvette, then he should go look at some! :)

You're not going to get much better than a 2nd gen for that $$. Step it up 50% or so and a GTO is a good choice. The G35 is decent on the inside, but for $9k it would be hard to find a coupe in decent condition - easy enough to find a sedan, but meh.

Oh yeah, XK8. You won't get an XKR for 9k, but who needs a blower anyways...

Last edited:
Sorry. Just don't see a Vette or a 350Z as luxury 2 door cars.

You can try one of these CL65 AMG cars. I hear they are very nice. It's only a Twin Turbo 6 Liter V12, but i hear it goes really fast and it's comfy as all can be.

Last edited:
1995- 2001 Cadillac eldorado, if you dont mind front wheel drive.

If you can push the budget a little, Id go for an 05-06 GTO. the 04's are nice, but they are down 50hp, plus smaller brakes.

After my dads experience, I would stay away from the G35.

Sorry. Just don't see a Vette or a 350Z as luxury 2 door cars.

You can try one of these CL65 AMG cars. I hear they are very nice. It's only a Twin Turbo 6 Liter V12, but i hear it goes really fast and it's comfy as all can be.

I know I'm gonna get punished for pointing out a flaw in frogman but I think he missed the limit of 9,000. How does everyone like the 1997 and up XK8? 290HP also.

I was gonna throw out an XK8 but he would need to step up a couple grand. Maybe a 3000GT VR4, they had allot of nice features and if you dont try and launch them at 5K then the rear end tends to stay together. An older BMW 850 is a nice choice too. They are even fairly reliable.

BTW Frog, I really hate you. :p
Wish you would drive down here and let me drive that thing. Ill buy you a happy meal! :D

An older BMW 850 is a nice choice too. They are even fairly reliable.

V12 BMW reliable? :lol: The V12's drink gasoline, too.

The later 840 (4.4 version) has a better reputation for reliability - just as fast too. (excluding 850 CSI)

Can't remember if the 4.4 V8 had the Nikasil issue, although many had their engines fixed by BMW.

Edit: Nope, the 4.4 had an Alusil block.

Im with Froggy on this one. The CL65 is AMAZING in every way. Plus they have come down in price dramatically and can usually be had for the 50k range for 05's. Sometimes cheaper if you can get to an auction.

you can get XJR's for 9 grand, XKR's i have seen for 13/14 g

I hear the XJR is some fun, even though its a 4 door.

V12 BMW reliable? :lol: The V12's drink gasoline, too.

The later 840 (4.4 version) has a better reputation for reliability - just as fast too. (excluding 850 CSI)

Can't remember if the 4.4 V8 had the Nikasil issue, although many had their engines fixed by BMW.

Edit: Nope, the 4.4 had an Alusil block.

Yes, and also prolly the smoothest 12 made. The problems were throttle body motors, plenum gaskets and the damn radiator mounts. Other then that the 12 was a damn good engine IMHO. I had two 750iLs and loved them.

I had a 750iL - gave it away and kept the 735.

Wasn't the engine that was much of a problem, it was all of the other Bosch electronics throughout the car!

Good luck finding a nice g35 coupe for under 9k.

Jaguars are nice but parts are insanely expensive.

I honestly can't think of a luxury coupe for that price that is even remotely comparable to a mark viii.

Im with Froggy on this one. The CL65 is AMAZING in every way. Plus they have come down in price dramatically and can usually be had for the 50k range for 05's. Sometimes cheaper if you can get to an auction.

50k is...well, pretty far off from 9k.

not a 2 door but great luxury pretty good performance (250 hp) a 2001-2003 olds aurora 4.0 v8 (northstar) but does not have the problems the cadillac has i know because my wife has one and it is an amazing car! with just under 110k still runs great. all leather int. (heated) moonroof woodgrain very comfy. you could pic one up in mint cond. for 7-9k

I know I'm gonna get punished for pointing out a flaw in frogman but I think he missed the limit of 9,000. How does everyone like the 1997 and up XK8? 290HP also.

Punished? :confused:

You are correct about the $9,000 and apparently, reading comprehension eluded me last night. I'll admit when I'm wrong.

To my defense, I was setting up email accounts on a new host that I moved to in anticipation for a website that I'm having made for one of the businesses I'm invested in.

The 840 BMW's are pretty reasonable. Dunno about reliability though.

1995- 2001 LEXUS SC400 COUPE,
300 horse power rear wheel drive, very nice body style.

The 94-01 Eldorado is nice, but beware of the head gasket failure. Once that is fixed, they run forever. Grand Prix GTP's are nice, as are Riviera's. C5 vette has a decent interior and can be had fairly cheap these days. you MIGHT be able to find an RX8 for that price.

Members online

Back