2002 LS V8 - Replacing ignition coils, spark plugs, and VCG's

thanks. I looked around online and found sets. I remember them now from my uncle's shop. Never had used them, guess there's always a first time. lol

Well, I finally did it. It took me about 7 1/2 hrs yesterday. It went fairly smooth except for a couple bolts on the back of the drivers side. Here is where I wish I had some gear wrenches. 5 out of 8 COP's were gross. The plugs were burning good though. I checked them and they were at .050 I was surprised that they were NGK though. I replaced them w the OEM Motorcraft Platinum Iridium plugs, gapped around .042 ( workshop manual called for .039-.043 ) I remember someone having issues with the gasket, so I didnt take chances and I black RTV'd it in place.

It went back together, and no leftover parts :D LOL She fired right up and ran like a scalded cat on the way home. No chugging and fighting on the big hill going home. I didn't see any pooling of fluids on my buddy's floor, so I guess all is well.

Thanks a lot for all your help in diagnosing and figuring out which parts to purchase. I went with the Visteon COP's from EBAY. The rest I got online from Advance w a 25% discount using the code they had listed for Thanksgiving Day only. Plus, I should be getting a coupon from them as I spent over $100. Not too bad.

tips on the coil covers...I eliminated some bolts and it made it easy and fast everytime I change coils and plugs...I especially eliminated the bottom rear on driver side because of the damn Brake Booster...i would change all 8 plugs in 15 minutes after the elimination of the bolts...I think i left 3 on each side

I was under the hood of my 03 V8 a few days ago. All 8 coils and plugs have been changed under the campaign by my local Ford dealer. I noticed that the dealer did the same thing and left out a couple of bolts too. (shrug) They sent me a coupon for a $9.99 oil change, so I am going to request they install the bolts when I take it in for that.

haha what a coincidence, i was reading this thread and then DING DONG, delivery guy!
finally got my coils! (from alanisdeals too)

quick questions guys, how much time would it take to do the coils + plugs only?
hopefully not 5-6hrs lol! last time my friend changed it on my old car took about an hr, pretty straight forward easy access, but this time i will bring it to the garage because he's not confident he can do it easily.

thanks!

It shouldn't take more than a couple hours I'm assuming. You still need to take a lot of parts off to get to the coil covers. About as much as if doing the VCG. The driver's side is a PIA on the back part of the motor. The brake power booster? behind the master was in the way for like 2 or 3 bolts and had to use a wrench to get them off. Hopefully he has a set of flex head gear wrenches. If not, invest in them. You will use mainly 8 and 10 mm.

Best of luck, and take your time with the drivers side back plug, its a funky angle. It wasn't as bad with the valve cover off, and I was thinking it would be a real PIA to get to with only the COP cover off.

Once again...... universals and taking your time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back