2003 Lincoln LS Stereo Problem PLEASE HELP!!

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
First off I'll start by apologizing because I'm brand new to the forum and don't intend on abusing it. Sorry if my post is in the wrong area etc. Now on to my URGENT issue I need resolved..

I have a 2003 Lincoln LS which I decided to put some subs and an amp in. I used a Line Out Converter for the RCA's because I wanted to keep my factory stereo. Everything is wired up correctly etc., the amp has power and the RCA's have great signal. I have installed many systems and know what I'm doing but I've never ran into TTHHIISSSSS....

All of a sudden my stereo head unit WILL NOT WORK!! I checked the fuses for the radio on the passenger side under glove compartment and they are good. The CRAZIEST part is the fact that if I press the "Menu" button, my clock appears on the display and I can adjust the time. And also if I press the load CD button it will allow me to load CD's as well as eject them(also appearing on the stereo display). But if I press the Volume knob in (which turns the stereo on/off), nothing happens. Same as when I press the "CD" or "FM/AM" button.. nothing happens and the display is black.

I have no idea what is wrong, all I could assume is maybe it's an anti-theft or theft mode type of ordeal, and I have no idea how to determine if that would be the issue.

Anyhow, PLEASE HELP MEEE!!! My beautiful Lincoln is sitting in the garage with the battery disconnected and I'm heartbroken. ENTHUSIASTS PLEASE HELP MEEEEE !!!!

It sounds like the switched ignition signal is not getting to the headunit. This could be a loose connector, a wire that you accidentally cut or shorted, and/or a blown fuse. Did you tap into this line to turn the amp on and off?
Did you test the fuses instead of just looking at them?
Did you check the fuses in the trunk?

There is no anti-theft for the radio.

I don't know about the rest of the issue, but when I installed my amp and speakers to the stock HU I ended up blowing the left channel and had to replace the HU with a rebuilt unit. What HU do you have? Base? Alpine?

Thank you for the quick replies. I have an UPDATE!!

I previously stated that the HU allowed me to load and eject CD's. Now when I press the load or eject button and select the desired slot.. it just makes a noise like it's trying to find the slot for 5 seconds and then the display goes black again.

Oh and to Joegr, I connected my amp remote wire to a yellow/green power wire that's within one of the harnesses connected to the HU. And I believe I have the base HU, it doesn't say alpine and it only has a 6disc changer, no cassette. The disc changer is above the display as part of the HU. I have two tweeter speakers near the right driver leg and left passenger leg, and four door speakers totalling in 6 speakers.

Oh and I also forgot to state, I only know of a fuse box by the passenger right leg area under glove compartment, and the fuse box in the engine compartment. Was unaware of a fuse box in trunk, but I honestly don't believe it's a fuse issue.

The yellow/green wire is exactly the switched ignition wire that I am talking about. You need to recheck that connection, it's the problem. Check with a voltmeter to see if it is powered with the key in run or accessory. Fuse F2.27 (10A) protects that line.
So that we all speak the same language, you have the higher end radio. (THX navigation is the highest option.) Also, you have the twelve speaker system. Two speakers in each door times four doors, plus two center channel speakers (mid range, not tweeters), and two woofers in the rear deck.
Unfortunately, it is common for the CD changers in the headunits to jam.

The yellow/green wire is exactly the switched ignition wire that I am talking about. You need to recheck that connection, it's the problem. Check with a voltmeter to see if it is powered with the key in run or accessory. Fuse F2.27 (10A) protects that line.
So that we all speak the same language, you have the higher end radio. (THX navigation is the highest option.) Also, you have the twelve speaker system. Two speakers in each door times four doors, plus two center channel speakers (mid range, not tweeters), and two woofers in the rear deck.
Unfortunately, it is common for the CD changers in the headunits to jam.

Hey Joegr thanks again for your time in helping me address this problem. I will pull the HU back out tomorow and check out the wiring to see if something may be loose or exposed etc. And also could you give me more info on that fuse and it's location please? Thanks again, I'd just like to troubleshoot all I can before I order a new HU. Oh and one more thing, my stereo has no subs. The factory stereo has no bass sound whatsoever. Could you tell me the location as to where my factory subs should or would have been so maybe I can re-route my amp etc later? Thanks again for all the help you're the man dude

Passenger kick panel, bottom row, 6th fuse from the left.
I'm pretty sure all systems with the center channel speakers got subs from the factory. Someone must have removed yours. They would have been under the package shelf, in the trunk. The factory sub amp would have been there as well, mounted to the underside like the subs. Note that your headunit has a single channel (mono) line level sub output. It also has a sub amp turn on signal wire (but it only goes to 7 volts or so).

There is an eight pin connector on the back of the radio.
Pin 1 - white/red - sub line out +
Pin 2 - gray/red - sub line out -
Pin 3 - shield for sub line out
Pin 4 - yellow/red - sub amp turn on signal
Pin 5 - white - center channel line out +
Pin 6 - gray - center channel line out -
Pin 7 - shield for center channel line out
Pin 8 - yellow - center channel amp turn on signal

I'm pretty sure all systems with the center channel speakers got subs from the factory. Someone must have removed yours. They would have been under the package shelf, in the trunk. The factory sub amp would have been there as well, mounted to the underside like the subs. Note that your headunit has a single channel (mono) line level sub output. It also has a sub amp turn on signal wire (but it only goes to 7 volts or so).

I don't remember about the 2nd gen, but the sub enclosure was de-contented in, IIRC, '01 to save weight. At least that was the excuse.....

Yes, no sub enclosures on my 04 or 06, but the subs are there. The 06 has speaker grills on the deck, but the 04 does not (the sound just comes through the cloth on the deck/package tray).

Yes, no sub enclosures on my 04 or 06, but the subs are there. The 06 has speaker grills on the deck, but the 04 does not (the sound just comes through the cloth on the deck/package tray).

Are you sure? Have you actually seen them? When I added speakers under there I had to cut holes in the package shelf as the covering is about an inch, inch and a half thick with loads of sound deadening. I couldn't hear the speakers through it. Every LS I've seen without the sub-tray doesn't have the subs. I know there was a base radio that had a cassette and single CD slot. The "regular" in-dash 6-disc changer should be the same internally as the base 6-disc from the '00-'02 model years.

Yes, just went out and reached in and felt them. (I can hear them too.)
I actually removed the interior trim on the 04 once, and the insulation was indeed cutout or popped out over the subs.
I'll be looking at it again soon. Something is rattling on or by one of the subs now.

Yes, just went out and reached in and felt them. (I can hear them too.)
I actually removed the interior trim on the 04 once, and the insulation was indeed cutout or popped out over the subs.
I'll be looking at it again soon. Something is rattling on or by one of the subs now.

Thanks. I wonder why they left off the cover...... Maybe they forgot on your car? I know on my wife's LS they forgot to cut the slit to load the NAV DVD!!

So when I pull my HU back out here in about 5 min, would you advise me changing my afternarket amp's REM wire from the yellow/green, and tapping it into the yellow/red sub amp turn on signal that you state? Thanks again !

Okay new update. Now the HU does nothing. It still shows clock time if I hit "Menu", but if I press "Load" or "Eject" it just says "CD ERROR".

After a fresh cup of coffee this morning, I went and checked the fuse you specified Joegr, and it was good. So I pulled the HU back out and checked the wiring, everything is clean and legit, and aside so nothing gets pinched or pinned when sliding the HU back in place.

So I've come to determine that my HU basically just took a dump on me. So I will be ordering a replacement. Now my Climate Control still works great. Do I need to order them both as a unit, or can I just order the stereo and mount it above the Climate Contol Unit and have it work just fine? Thanks for all the help again !!

They are separate. There's just a bracket that holds them together. It's actually two separate face plates.

Thanks. I wonder why they left off the cover...... Maybe they forgot on your car? I know on my wife's LS they forgot to cut the slit to load the NAV DVD!!
I don't think they forgot. My 04 actually has a "special" appearance package. I think it mostly had to do with the mirrors, grill, and headrests. Maybe it was a factor on the sub grills too.

my 2000 had metal grills over the subs (with an enclosure) but my 03 didn't have grills, instead the carpeted panel is perforated above where the subs are to let the sound through, both have the big sheet of sound deadner with cut outs for the subs.

I have added two 6x9s with an amp for a customer in an 02 once that did not have the OEM sub option, the carpeted cover was solid, with no holes for the sound to go through, if I remember correctly, the insulator did not have the cutouts and had to have holes cut in it too for the speakers

Okay one final question !!

I'm about to order an OEM factory replacement HU. When I receive it... do I have to go to the car dealer to have it programmed and stuff? Or can I just plug my cars harness into it and be good? Thanks !!!

Just plug it in and go. Nothing to program.

Okay, new question!! I'm going to order my new OEM headunit but the problem I'm having is that my particular head unit is harder to find (or atleast it is for me). My head unit is model "3W4T-18C815-AC". So I suppose my question is.. is that particular model of headunit the ONLY one my harness will connect to without modification? Or will a "4W4Tetc" 2003-2005 lincoln ls headunit work as well? The difference that I notice between the two is that the 4W4T has one more harness plug than the 3W4T. Only reason I ask is because the 4W4T's are much easier to find.

I don't know I guess I just figured one of you might be familiar with this subject. I just want my music back, and OEM by all means possible. Thanks !! Oh and if any of you know a good place to find one please enlighten me.

duuude how did you find those!!!!?!?!?? I must suck at shopping on ebay cuz I couldn't find s***. What search words or criteria did you use? Thanks big time !! And yeah for me it's all appearence I love OEM. But thanks for the advice !!

Members online

No members online now.
Back