Air Suspension, how durable is it?

Paul65FL

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought a MK VIII yet and have also been considering a Mercury Cougar. One thing I'm concerned with is the durability of the MK VIII. Does the air suspension hold up well, even under strain? When I mention strain I'm talking about running fast down two lane roads while outrunning certain "blue light specials"!

When I bought both of my 94's I replaced the front airsprings and the compressors. I didn't want to worry about them failing. I haven't had a problem since.

I don't know about outrunning blue light specials though. I've never done that.

Mark VIII vs Cougar... go with the VIII you'll love it...

Don't worry about the air ride... It's great but it can wear out... then it's an easy swap for a conversion and not terribly expensive about $400 if you can do it yourself... and anyone can... it's easy.

I'd say yes, the air bags are durable, OEM parts being DOT approved. Big rigs run them and have no issues. Over time the rubber weathers and need to be replaced.
Nothing beats out running "Roscoe" on dirt or asphalt. Keep in mind that the suspension auto levels, showing no signs of overloading any "block and tackle" by the gallon.

When I mention strain I'm talking about running fast down two lane roads while outrunning certain "blue light specials"!

In a Mark VIII? Go right ahead- you'll be getting a "red light special" in prison...
supergay.gif

Aren't you Bubba's bitch already?

Frogman said:
Outrunning the cops? What an idiot.

Why do these kids think it's cool to tell everyone how they outrun the cops?

Oh well. It is your arse that will be Bubba's girlfriend in jail, not mine.

That is all.

:rolleyes: I was really just trying to come up with an example of what I mean by running the car hard. Your opinion of me is about as important as the turd I flushed earlier, less actually. You seem to know alot about man on man loving though...

You must be Bubba!

evillally said:
In a Mark VIII? Go right ahead- you'll be getting a "red light special" in prison...
supergay.gif

:rolleyes: I guess you shared a cell with Frogman. Who was the bitch?

Paul65FL said:
I haven't bought a MK VIII yet and have also been considering a Mercury Cougar. One thing I'm concerned with is the durability of the MK VIII. Does the air suspension hold up well, even under strain? When I mention strain I'm talking about running fast down two lane roads while outrunning certain "blue light specials"!
The Mark VIII engine is significantly more powerful than that of a Cougar.

The rubber air bags are obviously not as durable as metal coil springs, but they're not going to suddenly fail because of a few bumps. It's not like you'll be taking the car off road though.

They will fail in time, but not for several years.

wow. the newbs here are just as bad as 3si. thinking running cops is cool.

Ignore the running from cops statement & answer his questions, or don't post at all..

I was really just trying to come up with an example of what I mean by running the car hard. Your opinion of me is about as important as the turd I flushed earlier, less actually. You seem to know alot about man on man loving though...
Paul65FL is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

You stupid assh0le. If you wanted to know how tough it was, then why did't you just ask "how tough is the air suspension?". Moron h-mo.

Paul65FL said:
:rolleyes: I guess you shared a cell with Frogman. Who was the bitch?

You, troll prag scum. Back to the salad bar with you, queer... :rolleyes:

good thread!:p

Buy a mark! you will love it!!!

cougars are kinda ugly, arent they? Id'd rather drive a t bird over a cougar any day.

Frogman said:
I'm sorry. Who died and put you in charge of MY opinions? Which as it turns out, I happen to be an expert on?

Or start a :q:q:q:qfest if it better suits you. :rolleyes:

who would have guessed a suspension question would end up in the politics section? LOL

From what I have read the Bags seem to be pretty durable, however some have bad luck with them. Either way, they are not too expensive to either fix or replace with conversion kit.

Come on guyes its just a figure of speach, so don't get you all undies in a bunch.

Days later and people are still upset with my post. Get a life! No, I've never outrun a cop and have never tried to. I just wanted to know if the bags can sustain stress or do they have to be babied. Thanks to everyone who saw beyond the cop issue and answered my question.

Paul65FL said:
Days later and people are still upset with my post. Get a life! No, I've never outrun a cop and have never tried to. I just wanted to know if the bags can sustain stress or do they have to be babied. Thanks to everyone who saw beyond the cop issue and answered my question.

The bags are very resilient. New bags can easily last 100k miles of regular aggressive driving. I wouldn't take the car off road, but regular abuse is shrugged off.

The compressor would take more abuse if you're driving aggressively because it would be forced to repeatedly drop the car when you hit 65mph, and then reinflate after you've slowed down.

But the answer is no, you do not need to change your driving in any way to accommodate the air ride suspension.

Members online

No members online now.
Back