Changing the oil pretty soon...

CrackerJack

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Been looking at filters a lot at work etc, the FRAM one looks like a total PoS, and the purolator... well, it's a purolator, so it's crap.

I'm looking into the K&N HP-1014, it lists a 2002 Thunderbird with a 3.9 so it works with my 02 V8. Now the question is, what kind of oil should I use? I'm in MN and it dead winter right now, so it's 0 - 10 degrees out, should I stick with a synthetic blend? or move to a full synthetic / conventional, Synthetic "blends" are a waste of time and money IMHO.

I've got 79,600 on the clock, and its been 4,600 miles since I bought it, and it still says oil at 13%, but I'm changing it anyway, *trying* to stick with the 3000 mile mark.

I can get AMSOIL for dirt cheap at work ($7.39/qt), same with Mobil ($5.99/qt) and Valvoline Conventional (~$2.70/qt).

This is my everyday driver, and I throw on about 12k a year.

Is there a reason why you feel the factory Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft synthetic blend in the recommended weight, both changed at the factory intervals (5k, not the 3k..which is always the interval recommended by Jiffy Lube and the like..for obvious self serving reasons) wont get you at least..200k miles on that engine? A Motorcraft filter and any major brand of 5w-20 or 5w-30 (doesnt even HAVE to be full synth, but it obviously wont hurt) will work fine and give loooong engine life.

Just for the record..I've been using WalMarts Brand (cant think of the name) of full synth and a mix of Fram, Purolator, and Motorcraft..whichever I can find on sale...since I went out of warranty about 3 years ago. I change my oil and filter every 10k. I have a 2002 V8, and now have 106k miles. Burns about 1/2 quart every 10k, engine runs and idles strong, no problems. Based on my last blackstone labs oil analysis, I may go 15k interval changes.

Keep in mind an engine gets most of its wear at startup.

I always try to use mobil 1 filters when I can. However they don't make a filter for the 3.9 LS. In that case I I get the motorcraft filter which is very good as well. I believe the purolator filter at advance auto is a wix filter which is also good. I stay away from everything else especially fram!

I have never used any kind of synthetic oil even mixed. I ALWAYS use shell oil. No mater what I need it for from lawn mowers to our fleet trucks they always always get shell oil. We have never never had a problem yet that was oil related in anything with a motor around here. I have also had at least the intake and valve covers off most of these engines some with over 400K on the clock and they are always very clean inside. Even in my LS I run a motorcraft filter and 5w30 shell.

Just my .02

I just changed mine and used the Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic blend. The car cranked right up when it was -20 the other morning. Much better than it did before I changed it.

I'm not sure what was in it before, when I bought it the dealer had changed it, the filter just said "Made in China".

I use royal purple 5w20

On aside note that K&N filter did NOT fit my car correctly(so I went with motorcraft). It had way to much play in the threads so if you do buy one make sure the filter threads on the block correctly. has anyone else had this problem with the K&N?

i use purolator filters with no problem. i go with 5k intervals and use royal purple. i might start using the motorcraft filter to try it out.

i use purolator filters with no problem. i go with 5k intervals and use royal purple. i might start using the motorcraft filter to try it out.

Trust me. You will notice absolutely, positively NO difference with either when you drive. :)

filters1.gif

filters2.gif

filters3.gif

Haven't seen that article in a while... couple of years at least!

i just get in part synthetic...though i'm going to switch over to full synthetic next time i'm in. I never asked for full synethitic b4. I just took it to the lincoln dealership and I said "Change my Oil" and they did it :p never asked me (Like Jiffy Lube) what blend I'd like. I'd never go go Jiffy Lube ever again..they :q:q:q:qed up the Ford Taurus I had to drive in High SChool sooo many times...and I found out they hire the SAME Ex-Cons that steal cars....or have had Grand THeft Auto charges......that's a risk I'm not taking.....

... idles strong...

Nothing beats a good strong idle!!

Don't you just love things taken out of context? :D

Debating oil and filters is just plain dumb. Everyone gets so worked up over which brand is better. some even bring data to the table to back it up. But if you look at the data and take into account your oil changing habits, chances are that you would be just fine with any oil and any filter. It's only when you get into situations of extreme driving or longer mileage that you need to be concerned with the best peforming products. Just buy the recommended weight/type of oil and move on with your life.

Its not what the picture is telling you, it is what you are able to comprehend and understand by looking at the pic.

<sarcasm>thanks, that helps a lot</sarcasm>

I changed my mind you don't know crap about driving RWD/AWD/FWD in snow.

:lol:

I think what you are supposed to gather from looking at the pic..is that you shouldnt make technical decisions based upon pics that are literally 15 years old..and contain products that arent even made anymore..and other products that are made by entirely different manufacturers and processes?

I think what you are supposed to gather from looking at the pic..is that you shouldnt make technical decisions based upon pics that are literally 15 years old..and contain products that arent even made anymore..and other products that are made by entirely different manufacturers and processes?

Most of those filters pictured are exactly the same today besides a different color on the outside.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

A pretty good read if and when you have time.

I run 0W-20 Mobil 1 and a Purolator...FWIW...

Also, FWIW, I use the same 0W-20 Mobil 1 in my 2001 Explorer 5.0, but I have Valvoline conventional 5W-20 in my company truck, a 2004 f-150 4.6. Just because it is a leased truck and the Co. foots the bill for "Instant oil changes". Point is, here in middle Tennessee when it is 30 degrees outside the F-150 starts as easily parked outside all night as the Explorer does parked in the 60 degree garage. Over the X-mas New Year holiday's we took the Explorer to Vermont. It was an indicated -19 Friday morning when we left and the old 5.0 spun over just as well as if it had spent the night in a heated garage. Last Friday it was +3 here in middle TN (from Accuweather) and the 4.6 groaned over and over before it started.
Proof to me that the synthetic is worth every penny.

4.6 has 80k and a good battery, 5.0 has 115k and a good battery. Most other things are equal.

Its the weight that makes motors turn over slow in the cold. 0w against 5w. You should hear how slow our diesels turn over on a cold morning with 15w40 in them.

Hey all, first post here, but will put up an intro soon...
Have a very good friend who was a service advisor and parts manager (at different times) at a local Ford Lincoln dealer, and he swears by the Motorcraft filter cause of the spring loaded valve at the bottom of the filter. A regular filter when clogged, doesnt allow oil to flow, whereas the Motorcraft one will open the valve when absolutely necessary (read clogged) to at least allow some oil flow. He also had cutaways of all the popular filters and the Motorcraft one was by far superior. I use Motorcraft myself.

Hey all, first post here, but will put up an intro soon...
Have a very good friend who was a service advisor and parts manager (at different times) at a local Ford Lincoln dealer, and he swears by the Motorcraft filter cause of the spring loaded valve at the bottom of the filter. A regular filter when clogged, doesnt allow oil to flow, whereas the Motorcraft one will open the valve when absolutely necessary (read clogged) to at least allow some oil flow.

Motorcraft filters are perfectly fine, but are not the only filters with a bypass valve..which allows flow when a filter is clogged.

Members online

Back