cheap bolts :mad:

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
:mad: was changing out my battery to install an optima yellow top. Snapped the damn long bolt that holds the retainer bar to the floor. snapped it off right at the floor too, so no way to get a hold of it to pull it out. So, now I need to figure out how to secur the battery. Any ideas? I'm thinking some kind of a strap, then drill and bolt it to the metal wall in the trunk. This was supposed to be a quick job, but I guess it's to be expected. When has any car repair only taken as long as originally thought?

pete i am your savior, this just happened to me the other day. if you get under your car you will see where the bolt comes out through the floor. wd40 the hell out of it top and bottom and get some vice grips. grip the bolt so tight that you need two hands and a lot of grunting. work it back and forth until it loosens. dont worry if you strip it at first just release the grip and clamp again. if this fails then cut the bolt from the inside of trunk flush with floor and drill the bolt out . use a slightly smaller bit so you wont damage the threads. The bolt at ford will come with the bolt metal arm and plastic hold down for about 25 bucks

Thought you would like to see a Optima that a member did not secured well in a LS from awhile back:

Optima.jpg

Yeah, I searched the threads before I purchased it. That particular thread is the reason I have my retainer bar wrapped in electrical tape :D

John- I'll get under the car and give it a try! The bolt broke off flush with the floor, so drilling might even be a better option. I'm going out to try right now. Thanks again!

Got it installed. I drilled out the broken piece. the bolt at the broken length was a little too short. So, since the Optima is shorter, I filed down the black plastic piece that sits at the base of the battery. The Optima also came with a couple different plastic retrofitting pieces, since they are not model specific. I used one of the extra pieces to snug everything up. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

This battery is going no where. It fits tighter than a virgin :D

Here's the pics of what I did. The grey plastic piece came with the battery, but was supposed to be for GM applications. I added a "shim" underneath the grey plastic piece - made from some underlayment, then wrapped in electrical tape - to make sure it stays tight:

battery 1.jpg

battery 2.jpg

battery 3.jpg

Oh, and I'll figure out the venting issue tomorrow :D

Sort of right... it's for GM applications when using side terminals. If I were installing on a GM vehicle where side terminals are used, I'd have used it to bolt to the battery tray. The LS, however, already has a retaining block. I just needed to use two other pieces (one on either side) to mate up to the existing tray, and to re-use the black block that was there originally.

Have you ever removed the battery on the LS, and seen the black block that holds the battery secure to the tray? That gets re-used.

Here's a pc of the wing adapters that I needed to install. In the picture, you also see the black retaining block with the long bolt through it.

battery 4.jpg

I didnt think you had to worry about venting on a gel battery...

Only if you don't mind explosions every great once in a while.

Gel cells do vent under some circumstances.

Why do so many not understand this?

I didnt think you had to worry about venting on a gel battery...

there are many threads on this. the only battery (beside a vented ones like OE) that is safe to be installed into the passenger cabin (which the trunk of the LS is) is an Odyssey - and they are silly expensive but do not vent.

Oh, and I'll figure out the venting issue tomorrow :D

I have used the standard 'sealed vented battery boxes' from Jegs or Summit when relocating batteries from the engine bay to the trunk in the past. seem to work ok.

For those who have not read the past topics:

Optima - can vent in situations:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/discover_optima/tips_q02.php
"Do not install batteries in a non-ventilated or sealed compartment"
http://www.optimabatteries.com/discover_optima/battery_care_q01.php
"gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions"

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applications/auto.htm
"Can be mounted inside passenger compartments
Will not leak, gas, or corrode "

Materials cost was about 10 bucks. Would've been cheaper if I wouldn't have left the silicone and epoxy at home. Each of the fittings was under a dollar. The clear hose was .69 per foot. I also bought some silicone and epoxy. I haven't permanently attached it yet. silicone is going to seal where the fittings make contact with the battery. The epoxy is going to permanently affix a fitting to the trunk floor where the existing vent hole is. I was going to buy some yellow spray paint to paint the fittings on top of the battery so they matched. Maybe I'll do that before I attach them.

Thoughts?

Nice.

You get them gauges in yet? :D

Thanks!

Yeah, I put them in a while ago. Now I see why you waited. It's not the most fun mod I've done, but I really like the new look. Since I have the camera out anyways...

guages 1.jpg

guages 2.jpg

pektel, Nice clean job on the battery and the vent hose installation.:headbang:

ok... had the gel battery in my car for about 3 months with no problem.... how is it going to just blow up... come on now! the trunk isnt sealed air tight half the time anyway... it will vent...

oh and when i hit the telephone pole... it was on the side with the non venting battery...

oh and the interstate battery that is in my trunk now has no vent tube hook ups but is made for the LS.. vent tube is sitting on the floor by spare tire....

Members online

No members online now.
Back