Engine rattles on startup

ok.... well I met up with gilby (fellow member here) THANKS BTW! Good guy and nice garage! lol! He heard the sound we narrowed it down to the passger side front under the valve cover. Not sure what is going on in there. but like I said its only for 3 sec and only after it sat for roughly an hr...

Iv noticed no power loss... but its obnoxious noise kills me. so not sure if the tensioner is bad or the chain is stretched. but im just going to drive it till something noticeable happens, Ie. power loss or rough starts or whatever... in the meantime im going to start saving for parts and such,

His opinion was that I should not let it worry me to much and drive it till I notice something..

I have the same noise, but on my driver's side. I have 2 videos of it. There is no question that the sound is coming from the upper portion of the valve cover area. By holding a screwdriver to the valve cover and listening to it while it is running (the poor man's stethoscope), there is some noise present that you cannot hear on the passenger's side. It is heading to the dealership tonight, but I am almost positive it is a bad timing chain tensioner. My best guess is that the tensioner must have some sort of check valve built into it that is no longer holding.

BTW, this is a 2003 V-8 with about 127k miles on it.

http://youtu.be/zUDN_T0bZfk

http://youtu.be/w-5Or-wzHOs

Sub'd - same sound on start up as Bigwayner - happens when I start up in the morning , i can then turn the car off and directly back on and it will not make the sound - frustrating -but glad to see I'm not alone.

*mine has nothing to do with outside temperature at all - happens rear round, only on the first start after it sits.

Kain. Finely someone else whom has a video. I have the exact noise as we have already came to conclusion but on passenger side. I just got the car in February. So it was new to me. But as it current it does do it no matter the outside temp. only if the car has sat longer than 45min. every time. Like clock work. its quite annoying. I cant stand it. I wish I would have known the noise before I bought it...

My ls is 05 V8 120K...

Bruno, Please keep us posted as to what you find out. I know its internal... and like to figure out the problem asap. so I can put some cash aside and get it fixed asap.

Dammit... I think I got screwed on this car...

I really like them too...

Sorry, I have to wait until it cools down again. When it's hot out I have no clattering problems at all.

Sorry, I have to wait until it cools down again. When it's hot out I have no clattering problems at all.

Hmmmm... Then we don't have similar noises. My still does it in the heat of the day.

Sorry guys, I forgot that I had promised to update.

As it turned out, the cam shaft was bouncing back and forth in the head. They pulled one of the cam caps off and it was visibly scored. My oil cooler blew up on me about 6 months before this happened and I am guessing that it starved the engine of oil and caused the damage to the caps. I also have a picture where you can see the cam sprocket was actually starting to cut into the head. They recommended a new engine based on not knowing where else in the engine there might be damage.
I traded it in on a 2013 Fusion.

IMG_20130423_114507_395.jpg

IMG_20130423_114507_395.jpg

Hey Guys!
I'm amazed no one found this or mentioned this sooner. I was looking to purchase the 2006 Lincoln LS workshop manual on the internet and came across this gem. It can be downloaded here.

At any rate, according to this article, "Some 2000-2006 Lincoln LS and 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird vehicles equipped with a 3.9L V8 engine may have an accessory drive belt snapping noise for approximately 10 seconds when ambient temperatures are below freezing. A new idlet pulley is available to repair this condition"

I haven't had a chance to try this on mine yet. But when I do, and if this works... I will be amazed.

The factory service manual for the gen II V8 LS is here:
http://deneau.info/ls/

I have copies of all the TSBs. Somewhere there is a thread that lists all of them.

The one about the belt slap has been discussed on this board before.

I replaced my idler pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump and belt. No effect on the noise. My son's in from the Air Force right now, and leaves for his next duty station tomorrow, so after that I'll be taking another stab at it then. Mine's gotten a bit louder (so now I'm able to pick the sound up better, tinnitus sucks), and sounds like bearing rattle to me now. Not main bearing rattle, I'm thinking alternator rattle.

Kain. Finally someone else whom has a video. I have the exact noise as we have already came to conclusion but on passenger side. I just got the car in February. So it was new to me. But as it current it does do it no matter the outside temp. only if the car has sat longer than 45min. every time. Like clock work. its quite annoying. I cant stand it.
My ls is 05 V8 120K...

I have the exact same noise and have not been able to diagnose it. Started at 130k and i misdiagnosed it. I replaced secondary tensioners, nope. Replaced alternator (it went out) no effect, changed oil filter brands 3x, NOPE, took the accessory belt off NOPE. Gave up and the car has been parked for months. It's driveable if you park away from anyone - it scares women and children and gets dirty looks from the rest.

This is not a repost of those videos, this is my car. It's identical.

th_IMG_1174_zpsd100af0b.jpg

th_IMG_1173_zpsb8e86a36.jpg

Would really like to hear from anyone who's solved the riddle.

That first one kinda sounds like mine. The second one, no. If yours does it with the belt off, that's a sound I don't like the sound of.

Sorry guys, I forgot that I had promised to update.

As it turned out, the cam shaft was bouncing back and forth in the head. They pulled one of the cam caps off and it was visibly scored. My oil cooler blew up on me about 6 months before this happened and I am guessing that it starved the engine of oil and caused the damage to the caps. I also have a picture where you can see the cam sprocket was actually starting to cut into the head. They recommended a new engine based on not knowing where else in the engine there might be damage.
I traded it in on a 2013 Fusion.

View attachment 828462849
Interesting..

Cool, should be easy enough to check the flexplate for damage then. Going to have the car up in the air next week, barring any problems, and will be able to check. Having an open house this weekend, rear links get changed out next week.

Guys keep me post on this... I still have a rattle even if the temp is above 80. it just only does it after the car has set for upwards an hr. To me I think its a time chain or cam chain tensioner that is going bad, its like when the oil leaks out after its pressurized it rattle. Are the tensioners on the ls oil pressurized? For example, if the car sits for a period of time the oil leaks back down and once I start it the oil becomes pressurized and pushes the tensioners out. is this possible? Or did i just confuse myself...?

I have the exact same noise and have not been able to diagnose it. Started at 130k and i misdiagnosed it. I replaced secondary tensioners, nope. Replaced alternator (it went out) no effect, changed oil filter brands 3x, NOPE, took the accessory belt off NOPE. Gave up and the car has been parked for months. It's driveable if you park away from anyone - it scares women and children and gets dirty looks from the rest.

This is not a repost of those videos, this is my car. It's identical.

th_IMG_1174_zpsd100af0b.jpg

th_IMG_1173_zpsb8e86a36.jpg

Would really like to hear from anyone who's solved the riddle.

This is exactly what mine sounds like, are we saying that it quite possible that its a pulley???

See here

http://youtu.be/EBDBHtDmjp0

Guys keep me post on this... I still have a rattle even if the temp is above 80. it just only does it after the car has set for upwards an hr. To me I think its a time chain or cam chain tensioner that is going bad, its like when the oil leaks out after its pressurized it rattle. Are the tensioners on the ls oil pressurized? For example, if the car sits for a period of time the oil leaks back down and once I start it the oil becomes pressurized and pushes the tensioners out. is this possible? Or did i just confuse myself...?

Yes, they are oil pressurized, but 05s have the better tensioners and your noise does not sound like the chains rattling.
Your noise sounds to me like it is the starter. It sounds like the starter gear is sluggish about retracting once you release the starter. This would cause it to hit against the gear on the flex-plate for a little while.

Yup, that's the starter making that sounds like Joe says. Very obvious as well.

Yup, that's the starter making that sounds like Joe says. Very obvious as well.

The only thing that throws me off is the fact it won't rattle again till the car sits an hr. Like if I start it up cold. I rattle. Shut it off and start again. No rattle. But if I let car sit (not running) for at least an hr. And the start it up. I rattle.

Members online

No members online now.
Back