FWIW-- Ford speced 5w20 for there own good, not yours

rg200amp

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK oK maby I over streched that, but........

Ford uses the jaguar AJ-V8 in the LS, and they spec 5w20 for it.
Yet ALL of the Jaguars useing the AJ-V8 calls for 5w30,10w30,or5w40,10w40. NOT 5w20.

I know we have smaller AJ-V8s but its still the same motor.

So the only reason I could think of why ford went against Jaguars spec, is to meet CAFE, and get better "FLEET" MPG with the 5w20.

For what its worth. I may be proclaming old news.

Isn't 5w20 slightly thicker than 5w30? That would not improve mpg.

Last edited:
Isn't 5w20 slightly thicker than 5w30? That would not improve mpg.

It is the other way around, the larger the number the thicker the viscosity.

The 1st gen V8 LS called for 5W30 and yes they changed to 5W20 for better gas mileage to help with CAFE.

FYI Ford also shared the same engine block with Austin Martin 4.3 LT.

No. 5w20 is thinner then 5w30.

5 w 20

the 5 is the cold temp thickness

the 20 is the operating temp thickness

so on a cold day, 10w30 is thicker on start up then 5w30. but once they are up to operating temp, they are both the same 30 weight thick.

so you can use 0w30 if you want very light thickness on start up, that will help in the winter.

sooo yes 5w20 is thinner once it is at operating temp then a 5w30.

5w30 is thicker at operating temp.

jaguar wants thicker oil in there motor.
Ford with the CAFE and EPA regulations, took the Jaguar speced 5w30 motor, and like most of there motors after 2001 since CAFE, ford tells people to use 5w20.

I think the designer of the motor(Jag) would know better, so 5w30 I think would be best for the LS

Just an interesting note...

Multi-weight oils achieve their dual ratings through the use of polymer additives. Even though oil pours slower when cold and faster when hot, that is not an indication of it's viscosity.

An oil with a rating of 5w20 can be thought of as a 5 weight oil that through the addition of the polymer additives is will not thin more than a 20 weight oil would at operating temp. Simply put, the viscosity of the oil increases as the temperature rises.

Also keep in mind that this is not a "true" Jag engine as it was actually produced in Lima, OH using a proprietary rotating assembly and block. In reality, they aren't using Jaguar's engine, they are producing their own engine base on the same architecture (read: design principles).

I wouldn't use the oil ratings of other engines in the AJ-V8 series as a way to compare what "should and should not" have been the choice for oil... just as I wouldn't say that because a 93 Lincoln Town Car calls for 5w30 oil in it's 4.6L modular engine that the Ford GT using the DOHC all aluminum 5.4L modular engine should be running 5w30... Just because they are of the same general "family" of engines doesn't mean they are built with the same materials or to the same, identical specs; something as minor as a different bearing material with the same clearances could require a change in oil weight.

You listed four different oils called for by the true Jag AJ engines alone... who's to say adding one more into the mix is wrong.

Now, I'm not saying they had a mechanical reason for the choice of 5w20 (I really don't know and it would take a good bit of research, looking at part numbers... and even then you don't know for sure the reason for change) ... I'm just saying that you're making your statements base on assumptions that don't hold much water: "these engines don't use that oil... so that one shouldn't use it either"... really makes little sense.

I use only olive oil... I don't want my engine to be unhealthy... yours running with crisco; got to be suffering from excessive oil pressure, weight gain, sluggishness and possible clots.

It is a jaguar engine.

Ford used the engine design from Jaguar, and built the motors in there plant, but it still is a jaguar motor design. It still is a AJ-V8.

The 2009 Jaguar Cars with the AJ-V8 still call for 5w30.

I pack mine tight with grease!

The thicker the better!!!!!

Whats the point of this anyway? Is this leading to another one of those crooked oil producer & vehicle manufacturers combining to join forces and create a conspiracy to take our money kind of posts?

Whats the point of this anyway? Is this leading to another one of those crooked oil producer & vehicle manufacturers combining to join forces and create a conspiracy to take our money kind of posts?

If you took your head out off your ass, you would see.

Ford took and used the AJ-V8, why the :q:q:q:q did they not take the engine oil spec too?

Jaguar dose not have to conform to CAFE regulations as good as FORD dose. Jaguar is based overseas, and it dose not make as many cars.

So ford took the 5w30 speced engine, and told everyone to use 5w20, since that oil conforms the the CAFE regulations better.

FORD dose not have your best intrest with 5w20, they have there EPA regulations to meet.

Its not hard to understand. And no your motor wont die from useing 5w20.
But since Jaguar recommends 5w30, and there recommendation to THERE motor design is not clouded with the CAFE and EPA regulations, I am going to trust Jaguar has the best advise for our engines.

You dont have to take what I say to the bank. I thought some of you processing on more than 2 brain cells would find this info interesting.

What! I guess Im the one posting such a pointless thread. Boy my head is so far up my ass I can taste last nights Tacos!!!

Save it for one of those UK conspiracy theory sites. If you don't like it use a different brand, no on is gaining :q:q:q:q!!!

Does it tell you anywhere that this car will self destruct if you dont use Motor Crafts oil????

I still dont understand any point to this and doubt there will ever be one either!

What I find interesting is the fact that my car has been running fine on what it suggests. I find it ever so much more interesting now that you brought this worthless trash to my attention.

Calm down there rg200amp! Lol.

I believe there to be some truth to what you are saying. My Mark VIII for instance: On the car and in the book it calls for a 5w 30 (which is what i always use) However, Ford came out with a TSB saying 5w 20 could be used instead - most likely for those CAFE reasons you stated.

I searched around and found a few sources that suggested i stick with the 5w 30 (as that is what the engine was designed for) for improved longevity.

Apparently (now i don't know how true this is) When Ford changed it's oil recommendations it also changed it's small print in the warranties for some vehicles.

However, bare in mind im talking about my modular 4.6 - I don't know what oil the LS engine was specifically designed for.

You could try this: run 5w 20 for recommended miles, then send off a sample for lab testing. Next, do the same for 5w 30 and see what results you get.

True 93 blue on blue

I am just pissed off at Jwerner two.

I present something of relelvance to our motors. NOt about my rims or my new cd player. NO, I post somehting usefull. The designer of the motor, and some one who is useing it in there cars have two diffrent oil specs.

And he has the balls to say there is no point, and my post is

"another one of those crooked oil producer & vehicle manufacturers combining to join forces and create a conspiracy to take our money kind of posts?"

OK, insted im going to show off my rims and worthless vanity plates that say N V ME.

I guess some people cant enjoy an itelligent conversation. They just want to see flashy RIMS!!!!!

Talk about lose of brain cells. Im sure that was a question.

I sent you a PM but you by all means cant be mature about it.

Next time quote everything I said. Or if you really feel like incriminating me, leave out that question mark that made it clear as day that it was intended as a question. You still did not explain what you are trying to get out of this. Is it a warning to us to not use what has been recommended and used in most of our cars with great success?

I don't know how you can say great success. I don't see many LS's on here that are over 200k mileage wise.

I don't see any falling apart because they use the oil that is recommended. I honestly wanted to know the point. If there is one and it is valid I would do the switch, why buy nice rims and vanity plates if the oil we are told to use is going to do harm?

It is a jaguar engine.

Ford used the engine design from Jaguar, and built the motors in there plant, but it still is a jaguar motor design. It still is a AJ-V8.

The 2009 Jaguar Cars with the AJ-V8 still call for 5w30.

No, actually the engine is not a Jaguar engine; it is a Ford engine which uses Jaguar architecture. Did you not read anything I wrote?

This AJ30/AJ35 is NOT used in ANY Jaguar, the block, pistons, rods and crank are ALL proprietary to this specific engine.

There is a distinct difference between taking an engine built by Jaguar and dropping it into a Ford vehicle (which is not what happened) and Ford engineers taking the architecture and layout of a Jag engine, then building it to their specs (READ: DESIGN)... which is exactly what happened.

Maybe when FORD DESIGNED the engine they opted to run bearings that contained a different Aluminum than most other engines in the series and this required a thinner oil because they expand more at operating temp.

The point here is Ford used the architecture; they did not just take a specific engine from Jaguar and put it in the LS and Thunderbird. Even the VVT used on the AJ35 is different from the VVT used by Jag.

Make an attempt to remove your head from your 5th point of contact; YOU LISTED FOUR SEPERATE OIL WEIGHTS that other engines of the series call for... again FOUR SEPERATE OIL WEIGHTS... Obviously this architecture doesn't "require" a certain oil weight if the engines found in Jaguars call for FOUR SEPERATE OIL WEIGHTS. (and for the record, correct oil weight for an engine is determined by bearing material, operating temp, expected use of the engine, clearances and the molecular make up of the materials used to make the engine and it's various parts; all of these things were determined by FORD... not Jaguar)

Ford set the specs for this particular engine... are you going to bitch about the fact that it's 3.9L instead of 4.0 or 4.2? They set the specs, they built the engine... they can put whatever the hell they want in it.

Anyway what are you trying to prove with all of this? There have been several members on here with 130,000-150,000 miles on their cars with original engines... obviously the oil is doing the job it's intended to do.

If you're an engineer at Ford and you have some sort of hard data on why Ford shouldn't be using 5w20... then please enlighten us. Otherwise, you're just another noob rattling off BS with no hard facts or information to back it up... nothing but speculation.

amp

noob_yoda.jpg

Then why did ford WHO USED TO RECOMMEND only 5w30 in there motors, one day say HEY, lets say 5w20 from now on!!!! and all the motors that use 5w30, we will put 5w20 in them. Did they change the specs of all the old motors out there while we where sleeping to run on 5w20???

All ford did was down size the motor so it was less powerfull then the more $$$$ jag.

Now did ford go through BIG $$$ on R+D on the jag motor, and make it fine to run on 5w20, or did they take the jag design, down size it, and blindly put the 5w20 oil on it like they did to all there old motors.

5w20 Will be fine, I am not saying its going to blow up your car. But Euro cars run 5w30-5w40-0w40 for a while now, they never changed to 5w20, and look how long they last.

Yes 5w20 can get you to 300-500 thousand miles easy. I am just stateing jaguar has not gone to 5w20 as of yet, with there motor design. WHY is that???

No I am not a ford Engineer, and no I am not running BS. The Engines I work on cruse at about 40,000 feet.

I don't know how you can say great success. I don't see many LS's on here that are over 200k mileage wise.

I think that's more a product of the kind of vehicle it is and the age. You don't see as many luxury vehicles with a ridiculous amount of miles as you do compact cars of a like age. Also the early models are just starting to get to a point where you could expect to start seeing higher miles.

Lets say you put 20,000k on your car a year... if you have a 2000 LS, you're only at 160,000k mi. And it's safe to say that most people don't drive that much... and if they do, they usually don't waste their money on a car like the LS. However, with the earlier cars getting older and losing value at an accelerated rate... different people are buying them who are bound to have different driving needs. I think the real test of longevity and durability is yet to come in the next few years.

I don't have any clue what type of oil is in my car. And frankly I don't care. I don't know who designed the engine and where it was built. And again, I don't care. I hear it shares a lot in common with Jags and Thunderbirds, but I don't drive one of them, so I don't really care.

My car is a hell of a lot of fun to drive and runs very well. Now that I care about.

Members online

No members online now.
Back