Grill options

KLEEN did it of my car....my shop can make it but it'd cost up to or around 5k-8k to do the entire top grille, lower grille and headlights

here's more

l_942b44db70c74d5fa380ac58cc793280.jpg

I dont know how the hell you people paint the chrome trim on the grille and surround and sh*t!

I started filling in the emblem space and painting my grille day before yesterday and its a bitch getting anything to stick to it.

Today Im pulling off all the primer and taking a machine to it and sand the bitch down big time. I started getting past the copper in some of the contoured spots so I know you can take it down past the chrome.

The Lower grille looks like its off a g8, very beautiful though, every part of it is amazing

It is from a g8. Good eye. Wonder what the overall width of a g8 bumper is compared to the LS...

I couldn't agree more.....(cause my wife's outta town)...but really. Very nice.

Must resist comment . . .

Oh screw it. Your wife is the most sexually attractive thing I've seen today (and last night).

My God, I'm starting to sound like rePete. :eek:

I installed the tried-n-true mesh grill. I think it looks good with the painted grille surround.

mesh.jpg

What are you painting on your grille? the waterfall? what color

I have a 03+ grille Im painting the surround on.

I also scuffed the waterfall a tad and under the matte its actually chrome also:confused:

I dont know how the hell you people paint the chrome trim on the grille and surround and sh*t!

I started filling in the emblem space and painting my grille day before yesterday and its a bitch getting anything to stick to it.

Try some of this stuff JWerner. This is some of the best adhesion promoter you can get. "Bulldog" from Klean-strip. I've used this stuff for the last few years and it'll work great. It's about $18 a can for 15 oz, well worth it when doing projects.

glue 2.jpg

I have, and followed up with Dupli-color primer.

Its not that it wont lay correctly.

Its that it pulls off the chrome way to easy. I cant wet sand it without it pulling. I lifted it off the surface I was painting it on and nipped the table the slightest and it took the paint of in a unreal sort of clean way considering I bumped it.

I sanded it down real good before I started to rattle the cans also.

Hmmm. Did you let the adhesion promoter dry?

When I use it, I spray a pretty good coat and then only let it sit about 2 minutes or so. You want it to be tacky wet when you spray your color that way the promoter and paint bond together really well.

I see what your saying though.

See, I let it dry over night. The last time I did it the way you say on plastic how ever it took forever to cure and dry. Had that funny soft sponge like texture to it if you know what I mean?

Yeah, Unfortunately it does take along time to dry. :rolleyes:

Odd though that it wants to come off of the chrome.:confused:

Yeah, Unfortunately it does take along time to dry. :rolleyes:

Odd though that it wants to come off of the chrome.:confused:

I've painted three different factory grills. I had the chrome look and black stock grill painted all black with no problems. It's all about prep.

1. 100 grit sandpaper
2. 600 grit sand paper
3. 1200 grit sand paper
4. several (3-4) very light misting coats of primer (20-30 minutes between coats) This will provide one really solid base for paint to stick.
5. Same method with paint. Light, misty coats. (5-6)
6. 2000 or 2500 grit wet sand
7. Same paint method for clear coat (4-5)
8. 2500 grit wet sand and buff, wax

The whole process should take several days if you want it to look good, but can be done very easily. I actually used Autozone paint on the first one(black) and you could't tell the difference when I was done. The pics I have of my ride now is before I clear coated the new grill, so alittle shine is missing.

See, I let it dry over night. The last time I did it the way you say on plastic how ever it took forever to cure and dry. Had that funny soft sponge like texture to it if you know what I mean?

Sounds like you some how trapped moisture under it or applied too thick. When paint gets applied to thick, the top layer prevents the bottom layer from drying properly.

Well it wasnt to thick but it may have been the humidity.

I didnt think about that till now and its hard to work around a day thats not humid around here this time of the year.

Well it wasnt to thick but it may have been the humidity.

I didnt think about that till now and its hard to work around a day thats not humid around here this time of the year.

Humidity def f's with the cure time and ability. It won't set properly. Your right.

Humidity def f's with the cure time and ability. It won't set properly. Your right.

Im giving it another whack. Just gotta wait out this humidity.

I guess I should update the WIP for best or worst huh?:shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back