Help! I can't get my starter off

Sarge

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have removed both bolts (the top one is a pita). It's like it is frozen to the tranny or something. I tried whacking it with a hammer with no luck. So then I put a bottle jack under it and figured that would break it loose, but it actually just started to lift the car.:confused: The tranny was replaced 10k miles ago, so it isn't like the started is rusted to it or anything. Is there a secret third bolt I don't know about or something? This is killing me.

Thanks,
Hunter

s6x~us~en~file=a0066256.gif~gen~ref.gif

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

2. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

3. Remove the starter solenoid terminal cover.

4. Remove the starter solenoid wire nut and position aside the starter solenoid wire.
* To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).

5. Remove the starter solenoid battery cable nut and position the starter solenoid battery cable aside.
* To install, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).

6. Remove the ground cable nut and position the ground cable aside.
* To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

7. Remove the starter motor stud bolt, bolt and the starter motor.
* Install the starter motor upper bolt and lower stud bolts hand-tight. Tighten the upper bolt to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft), followed by the lower stud bolts to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

8. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

+1

The starter gear may be stuck in the engage position, locked against the gearing. put parking brake on, then tranny in neutral, make sure battery is disconnected.

Update!

I came home from work today and the starter was laying underneath the car. Apparently hitting it with a hammer and applying pressure with a bottle jack won't work....but let it sit for 16 hours and it will fall off on it's own.:confused: I never did put it in neutral, but will when I put the new one in.

Thanks guys,
Hunter

I came home from work today and the starter was laying underneath the car. Apparently hitting it with a hammer and applying pressure with a bottle jack won't work....but let it sit for 16 hours and it will fall off on it's own.:confused: I never did put it in neutral, but will when I put the new one in.

Thanks guys,
Hunter

No need to put it in neutral for the new one to go in. The gear that contacts the flywheel (flexplate) gear won't be extended out to meet it anyway.

I came home from work today and the starter was laying underneath the car. Apparently hitting it with a hammer and applying pressure with a bottle jack won't work....but let it sit for 16 hours and it will fall off on it's own.:confused: Thanks guys,
Hunter

wow that's crazy. Glad there's not the PITA 3rd bolt like on the Grand Marquis'

I came home from work today and the starter was laying underneath the car. Apparently hitting it with a hammer and applying pressure with a bottle jack won't work....but let it sit for 16 hours and it will fall off on it's own.:confused:
maybe that is why Pete had so much trouble with his starter, he just didn't let it sit long enough :D

I went over there and took it off.

You're welcome.

hey pete, wouldn't it have been hilarious if the dude that changed your starter actually just picked it off of the ground because it had sat for so long by the time that he got there

Sweet!

I'll try that with mine next time it breaks down! Sweet! hey shouldn't this repair go in the technical section?

Last edited:
you said the top bolt was a PIa, how exactly did you manage to get it off?

I have managed to get everything off except the top PITA bolt, any suggestions. It doesnt seem that there is enough room to get a socket in there and i am trying to use an open end wrench but it wont budge. their is not a lot of room in there to move either. I need to get this changed this weekend and i am getting frustrated! Thanks!

got the old one out and new one in, still wont start. i have no idea what to try next.

Members online

No members online now.
Back