HID'S for 2001

2001 LS Owner

New LVC Member
Reaction score
i was just wandering if i can get like HID'S for my ls? like do i have to get a new headlight assembly all together, or can i just get some kind of kit? all i want is like that hid crystal blue effect that you see in bmw headlights and in the new 2004 ls headlights? also will the 2004 ls headlights fit in the 2001?

2001 LS Owner said:
i was just wandering if i can get like HID'S for my ls? like do i have to get a new headlight assembly all together, or can i just get some kind of kit? all i want is like that hid crystal blue effect that you see in bmw headlights and in the new 2004 ls headlights? also will the 2004 ls headlights fit in the 2001?
If you want to put the 03+ LS HIDs in your car you have to purchase new headlamp and a new cross-brace - the piece that goes cross the front of the car the the HIDs mount to. $$$$$

Ken - GrayGhost1 - sell HID conversion kit for the 00 - 02 LSes.

is it hard to install a HID conversion kit?, and what are all the parts that i would need to do it?

2001 LS Owner said:
is it hard to install a HID conversion kit?, and what are all the parts that i would need to do it?

The hardest part installing the HID conversion kit is find a place to put the ballast and ignitor. Once you do that it's a 15 minute install. Very simple to do. I've got a couple of pics I can post to show you were I put my ballast and ignitor at.

Here's a couple of pics showing where I put the ballast and ignitor. You can't see the ignitor but it's down next to the frame behind the headlights. Just DO NOT mount the ballast on anything plastic. The ballast will get warm. That's why I mounted on the steel cross member.

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

thx a lot, i really want to install some HID's on my LS, can u give me a good description of how to install them, and give me a definition of some of the words, like whats the ballast? and whats the ignitor?, if u cant find time or just dont want to dont worry about it then, thx

Ballast is what steps the voltage from 12 volts up to (I think) about 200 volts, to sustain the arc. Don't forget, these are miniature metal halide "dusk to dawn" type lamps...

The Ignitor is what creates a voltage high enough to throw the initial spark across the bulb, Then the ballast can supply current to sustain the arc, and make light.

I read an article about these lights from the company that actually made the ignitor and ballast setup, it was pretty cool, and I almost assembled one myself, but it's kinda an expensive science project when you don't have anything to stick them in. Now I do... but I don't have the time to mess with it.

Anybody know the actual cost for the conversion other than $$$?

Kleetus

'00 LS V8 Sport

GrayGhost, not really on the topic of HIDs, but it looks like your headlights have no chance of leaking or fogging. Sometimes overkill is the best idea.

SurfjaxLS said:
GrayGhost, not really on the topic of HIDs, but it looks like your headlights have no chance of leaking or fogging. Sometimes overkill is the best idea.

I've never had a problem with fogging or leaking since I installed my own DDE kit. I seal every headlight the same way and that's why I give a warranty with every headlight set I sell.

Also, I'm working with a company that manufactures the headlights for all year LS's. I'll be introducing NEW headlights with NEW angel eye rings early next year. This is exciting because no one has been ever to offer this.

GrayGhost1 said:
I'll be introducing NEW headlights with NEW angel eye rings early next year. This is exciting because no one has been ever to offer this.

Will it still be CCFL or completely new technology?

It'll be CCFL for now but the headlights will be new. Right now when you purchase the CCFL headlights from either me or any other person selling them we can only use used headlights. The headlights I use are in prestine condition but they are used. I'm working with a company to provide me with new headlights that I can modify myself. Right now, all new LS headlights have a black glue that holds them together and nothing is getting them apart aside from destroying the assembly. I'll be getting the headlights brand new with no glue attached. This way I can seal it myself and provide a completely new headlight assembly. The competition will be running scared at that point because I'll be able to introduce the Angel Eye kits in the 2003 and up headlights.

Sounds good. I have an '00 so the headlights were never a problem for me.

what bulbs do i use to match my headlamps to foglamps. I am looking into PIAA bulbs, I understand the replace number is 9145, but doesnt this number cross over? I read somewhere here that Silverstars and APCs are junk. Anyone use PIAA?

-Scott-

ohioLS said:
what bulbs do i use to match my headlamps to foglamps. I am looking into PIAA bulbs, I understand the replace number is 9145, but doesnt this number cross over? I read somewhere here that Silverstars and APCs are junk. Anyone use PIAA?

-Scott-
a 9145 has the end of the bulb capped - but a 9005 will fit in the fog lamps.... that's what I run.

I ran Silverstars and they were fine. I have heard APC is junk.

I use these now - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7945129805&category=36476 and love them.

I'm running siverstars as we speak 9005ST and 9006ST. My car came w/ 9005 from sylvania (not Silverstars though), and transfered them into my fog lamps. I did a before and after test in brightest in my High/Low beams. AMAZING!!! They really are the whitest and brightest (besided HID ofcourse) that I've seen. Bought them at wal-mart at $37.89 for a pack of 2. Can't beat that when it's more than that to buy them direct from sylvania. They've been on my car for about 2 months now. No problems yet, but ofcourse being only 2 months in, can't really tell

ohioLS said:

-Scott-

I'd recommend HOEN bulbs. You can find them at www.hoen-usa.com. I ran them for quite some time until I installed an HID conversion kit. The fog lights are 9145 or also known as the H10 bulb. You won't be sorry with the HOEN bulbs.

GrayGhost1 said:
I'd recommend HOEN bulbs. You can find them at www.hoen-usa.com. I ran them for quite some time until I installed an HID conversion kit. The fog lights are 9145 or also known as the H10 bulb. You won't be sorry with the HOEN bulbs.

OK I am at their site but I wondering exactlly which low/high beams to buy and foglamps. What style did u purchase? Thanks for your help!

-Scott-

Thanks Gray,
I ordered my bulbs last night and I cant wait to install and show them off.

-Scott-

ohioLS said:
Thanks Gray,
I ordered my bulbs last night and I cant wait to install and show them off.

-Scott-

Scott,

No problem. You won't be sorry with the HOEN bulbs.

Ken

agter installing these aftermarket hid kits did anyone have a problem with the bulb out light comming on?
Eamonn

FBplaya0085 said:
I have a 2005 LS with HID's can i get a different set of bulbs like 6000k's?
Yes you can. You have the D2S/D2R HID Xenon bulbs. You can get them in 10,000K, 8,000K, 6,000K, or 4,300K(OEM). Of course anything other than OEM is illegal in most areas so check you local laws. I can get the HID Xenon replacement bulbs if you are interested.

d2s/d2r?

GrayGhost1 said:
Yes you can. You have the D2S/D2R HID Xenon bulbs. You can get them in 10,000K, 8,000K, 6,000K, or 4,300K(OEM). Of course anything other than OEM is illegal in most areas so check you local laws. I can get the HID Xenon replacement bulbs if you are interested.

Can you get the entire kit for the D2s/D2r? also how much will the 03 and up headlights be? :L

gt95coupe said:
Can you get the entire kit for the D2s/D2r? also how much will the 03 and up headlights be? :L
For you to use the OEM D2S/D2R bulbs you will have to have the 2003 and HID headlights. They are a self contained unit inside the headlight. You can get the aftermarket HID kit for the non-HID H11 bulb. That kit is $399.

The D2S/D2R bulbs run from $209-$239 a pair for 4300K - 10000K bulbs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back