How do you drive SST mode?

amorgan2017

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was curious to know how you drive SST mode. I'm pretty new to the car and have tried it a few times but I don't see the fun. I've never tried putting it to the floor and shifting through the gears because I read it's not easy to do or something. I also read people are spinning their tires through shifting the gears?? Anyway I'd like to mess around with it so any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

I mostly use it for engine breaking or to hold a gear through a turn, however in a straight line race, I always use auto mode.

as far as spinning tires during gear changes, those people need to either get better tires or stop driving in the rain or snow so hard...

Ok, same here. I've never tried anything but auto in the quarter. Doesn't feel right flooring it in sst. I just thought I was missing some tricks or something lol.

Doesn't feel right flooring it in sst.

not really sure what this is supposed to mean, it feels exactly the same as it does in auto mode, it just increases the chance of messing up a shift due to human error...

a hair before the rev limiter kicks in at redline.

every time...

I use(d) it in mountainous or twisty driving.

I drive 80% of the time on sst now. I find it easier to down shift while going 50% throttle vs having to go 80% throttle for it to down shift and pull much harder than I need it or want it to.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I played around with it today. Never floored it and shifted around 2500 every time which seemed alright. Down shifting is weird. Seems to be limited to 3K. I thought that was just a rev limiter and once you get going its gone..

Down shifting is weird. Seems to be limited to 3K. I thought that was just a rev limiter and once you get going its gone..

mine has no problem down shifting and it being higher than 3k RPM, as long as the post shift RMP is lower than redline, it will down shift.

I mostly use it for engine breaking or to hold a gear through a turn, however in a straight line race, I always use auto mode.

as far as spinning tires during gear changes, those people need to either get better tires or stop driving in the rain or snow so hard...

Pretty much this. I also use SST to manually hold a gear in traffic so that when I want to pass I don't have to wait for it to downshift or have to floor it.

SST drop down to 3rd to hammer it into a nice long sweeper, 1/3 into turn, hit 4th, back to D5 once up to speed on the straights.

SST 1st when ricers line up and stare at traffic light too much. Tail BMW's onto the on ramps in SST 3rd, ready for 4th with a kick.

SST 3rd down to 2K RPM, drop to SST 2nd and foot 2 floor ... that'll get you a new transmission in a hurry.

I mostly only use SST when I'm beating on the 04 LSE. Specifically for setting up on a nice long sweeper, some switch backs or tight winding roads.

SST in traffic is dumb, it's D4 for me all day. D5 when up to speed mainly highways.

I also just really like how the exhaust sounds with keeping the revs high when coming to a stop!

oh that's a given ... prolly the most reason SST even gets used at all.

That and the back scratch from 3rd to 2nd with TC off while road speed still slightly too excessive. (lot of fun but also not good for the tranny)

Lol Big Rig, sounds like you've taken out a few trannys but hve a lot of practice. I beat on it some today but just take offs and shifting. Pretty smooth, I don't understand the down shifting part still. I'll be goin 55 for example and shift down to 4th. I go down to 3rd say at 40 to hve it rev higher and get that nice sound but it seems to stop at a little over 3K. I mean it don't sound right I guess. Can you shift down past 3K or can you hurt the engine?

Perhaps you have clogged cats. You should be able to get to the red line with ease.

Lol Big Rig, sounds like you've taken out a few trannys but hve a lot of practice.

Ah ... no, I have not ... actually ... and I also slip shift a 13spd non-sync transmission every night. (except Sundays and Mondays) ... without busting that up and it's rev matching, no clutch without clashing any gears ... Son!

Have a look at this video of mine, it's all SST shifting with only two Captain Morgan's in me.

It's my Silver 01 LS V8 Sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma8zw5hNxFo

Take notice at 05:15 where I drop it from 3rd to 2nd while just below 3K, hear the back scratch? It's not good for the transmission.

Can you shift down past 3K or can you hurt the engine?

Don't, it's not good for anything at all. Too much of that playing around will cause the [OPEN WALLET] light to come on. Kid you not!

It will do it with Advance Trac disabled but you'll be kissing the front glass I'm sure, it's too high of a rev vs roadspeed.

I use SST when I want to avoid the lag of a down shift and when I am anticipating the need for a certain gear. Whenever I sense drivers acting silly I always shift into SST mode.

Lol Big Rig, sounds like you've taken out a few trannys but hve a lot of practice. I beat on it some today but just take offs and shifting. Pretty smooth, I don't understand the down shifting part still. I'll be goin 55 for example and shift down to 4th. I go down to 3rd say at 40 to hve it rev higher and get that nice sound but it seems to stop at a little over 3K. I mean it don't sound right I guess. Can you shift down past 3K or can you hurt the engine?

I will pull it down to SST 3 at speeds as high as 60mph. I have practiced blipping the throttle a bit for a little softer touch.

Oh that's not the issue, I meant when down shifting in SST. It red lines all the time :). I understand the idea now. I just like when I car has that sound when ya downshift and it's a auto. I need a manual Lincoln too I guess..haah.

Nice video big rig, i don't understand why it made the noise but yours is a little different from mine being a 02. I was thinking it was really tuned up or had NOS until I realized the speedometer was kilometers lol. How does it feel when you downshift into 2nd then put it to the floor? I don't want to wreck anything but it looked fun.

Nice sound btw, still running stock over here :(

Pretty much this. I also use SST to manually hold a gear in traffic so that when I want to pass I don't have to wait for it to downshift or have to floor it.

SST in traffic is dumb, it's D4 for me all day. D5 when up to speed mainly highways.

If you're in a lane doing 35mph... I mean 55km/h... on the highway and the next lane is doing 45mp... 70kmh... and you want to jump over, but the lane has a steady stream of cars with no gaps, I can see using SST to "preload" a gear for when that gap finally arrives so you can jump right in with no shift lag. Because that's what I've done. All the other SST usage on my part is because racecar though

If you're in a lane doing 35mph... I mean 55km/h... on the highway and the next lane is doing 45mp... 70kmh... and you want to jump over, but the lane has a steady stream of cars with no gaps, I can see using SST to "preload" a gear for when that gap finally arrives so you can jump right in with no shift lag. Because that's what I've done. All the other SST usage on my part is because racecar though

Yup. That's the number one reason I use it, specially during rush hour. Usually I'm in 3rd or 4th if on the highway. If I have to go into 2nd then it's usually cause racecar.

Second reason is engine breaking. Brakes are evil and should be avoided at all costs! Plus it helps the gas mileage. :p

Racecar! Cause even when I'm driving backwards, RACECAR!

Members online

Back