How do you drive SST mode?

After reading this thread i went out to get groceries and tried SST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for about 15 miles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MEH,,,,,,,,,,....

When i got home got a call to bring in my Vette for state safety inspection.

Lot's of hp with a 4 speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,now,,,THAT was fun !! :)

dont think i will use SST in the LS again...

Haha, not sure how it goes there but the inspection on this car took near 2 hours. Every dang thing has to be checked. I'd probably feel different if I had a vette but I'm kinda getting a feel for sst. I see where it can be fun atleast. I seem to burn gas faster though, no surprise.

Haha, not sure how it goes there but the inspection on this car took near 2 hours. Every dang thing has to be checked. I'd probably feel different if I had a vette but I'm kinda getting a feel for sst. I see where it can be fun atleast. I seem to burn gas faster though, no surprise.

I have antique plates on mine and the owner of the place is a good friend of mine,,even got the sticker free :)

Enjoy what ya got :)

After reading this thread i went out to get groceries and tried SST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for about 15 miles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MEH,,,,,,,,,,....

When i got home got a call to bring in my Vette for state safety inspection.

Lot's of hp with a 4 speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,now,,,THAT was fun !! :)

dont think i will use SST in the LS again...
I takes practice. I rarely use SST for full throttle all the way through the gears.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Ah ... no, I have not ... actually ... and I also slip shift a 13spd non-sync transmission every night. (except Sundays and Mondays) ... without busting that up and it's rev matching, no clutch without clashing any gears ... Son!

Have a look at this video of mine, it's all SST shifting with only two Captain Morgan's in me.

It's my Silver 01 LS V8 Sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma8zw5hNxFo

Take notice at 05:15 where I drop it from 3rd to 2nd while just below 3K, hear the back scratch? It's not good for the transmission.

Don't, it's not good for anything at all. Too much of that playing around will cause the [OPEN WALLET] light to come on. Kid you not!

It will do it with Advance Trac disabled but you'll be kissing the front glass I'm sure, it's too high of a rev vs roadspeed.
Man that sucks! You got busted by UMG. Next time use Prince music.

What do you guys do on a fast take off SST 1 or D5? It feels to me like 1st gear takes off quicker, the tires break loose and it reacts faster I think. I'm not sure if it's my tires or what but it's really hard to get them loose from a take off in D5 they hold the weight to the ground really well.

What do you guys do on a fast take off SST 1 or D5? It feels to me like 1st gear takes off quicker, the tires break loose and it reacts faster I think. I'm not sure if it's my tires or what but it's really hard to get them loose from a take off in D5 they hold the weight to the ground really well.
With mine, it seems launching from 2nd seems faster. It might be time saved from not shifting from 1-2. D5 may be as fast on mine though. Launching in SST1 is slowed by AdvancTrac on mine as the engine cuts out.

AT off, locked down in 1st, holding the brakes tightly and the revs between 1800-2100 RPM gives me the best take off.

any higher than that and it knocks the tires off! (well at least one of them...)

None here seem to like D4 much, to me as I understand it, it's a towing gearing and stays in each gear longer with more torque. I'm sure I'd have to read up on it for a clear definition but its my preferance majority of the time. Actually possible if your quick about it, to go from D4 to SST and back slap into 4th without feeling anything at all. Then after that ready to drop to 3rd when needed.

I also find that when using SST if you want to drop down a gear or two and go .... the throttle to the floor is done at the same time as the gear change. For best catapult results anyhow.

SST is definitely fun and aggressive but overall around town some light spirited driving calls for D4 as my preferred choice.

Others obviously differ as its a preferance not requirement.

Haha, well hell I find every gear to be fun that's for sure. I'm just taking it slow right now and getting the feel for it. I don't wanna tear up the tranny making a mistake.

None here seem to like D4 much, to me as I understand it, it's a towing gearing and stays in each gear longer with more torque. I'm sure I'd have to read up on it for a clear definition but its my preference majority of the time. Actually possible if your quick about it, to go from D4 to SST and back slap into 4th without feeling anything at all. Then after that ready to drop to 3rd when needed.

I also find that when using SST if you want to drop down a gear or two and go .... the throttle to the floor is done at the same time as the gear change. For best catapult results anyhow.

SST is definitely fun and aggressive but overall around town some light spirited driving calls for D4 as my preferred choice.

Others obviously differ as its a preference not requirement.

The LS doesn't have a "towing gear". The trans is actually a 3-speed with an overdrive where every gear can overdriven. Yes, I know that means there should be six speeds, but two (IIRC it would be essentially be 3rd) are so close together that one would be unusable. I always drive around in D5 and I don't recall ever using D4. It has been said that D4 is good for city (low speed) driving so the trans doesn't have to hunt between 4th and 5th.

the "towing gear" in D4 is that it just keeps the trans from shifting into 5th... if youre pulling much weight it will shift out of 5th with every small hill you come to, D$ just keeps it in auto mode and only allows you to go up to 4th gear.

Engine braking, and a little "boost" when I need a bit more acceleration but don't want to nail it.

Also, in stop and go traffic, rather that experience 1-2, 2-1,1-2, 2-1, etc, I'll leave it in D2.

I also have a 2003 retrobird.

Engine braking, and a little "boost" when I need a bit more acceleration but don't want to nail it.

Also, in stop and go traffic, rather that experience 1-2, 2-1,1-2, 2-1, etc, I'll leave it in D2.

I also have a 2003 retrobird.

There is no D2.... 2 just gives you access to 2nd gear ONLY; as 1 just gives you 1st and 3 just gives you 3rd.

The LS doesn't have a "towing gear"...

Should pull up your pants real high and put your Fn Urkel glasses on next time you decide to bitch slap me with words! Clearly I didn't get my thoughts across properly. I did not say it has a towing gear option. By towing gearing I meant to convey just that ... that it stays in gear longer without jumping into 5th. I don't have the OM in front of me but I'm willing to bet it reads in there something with regards to pulling a small trailer and the usage of D4 maybe even some reference to hill climbs ... can't say for sure .... don't really care .... sorry you don't find a need to use or have use for D4, as I mentioned, it's a personal preference and in referance to city driving using D4 I'm sure I had already figured that out.

Do please leave me your cell number so I can at least call you for advice on how to Fn drive something.

Like I put these three LS'es in my driveway yesterday you thought.

the "towing gear" in D4 is that it just keeps the trans from shifting into 5th... if youre pulling much weight it will shift out of 5th with every small hill you come to, D$ just keeps it in auto mode and only allows you to go up to 4th gear.

Loud, please! I'm not sure if you are trying to educate me on something I already do know or simply elaborating on what I already said to LS4ME ... I'm going to suggest to myself it must be option number two. I may or may not get it right every time but the two of you have known me for a few years now and can possibly agree with me that I don't need much lessons in how to drive anything.

I stated that I preferred, doesn't mean I meant to apply that my way is the only way ... the name is not Don here.

I'll have another read over the OM when I get back home but in no way was I trying to suggest it was the right way or the only way.

I prefer D4 and slip it into D5 when up to speed.
Like others I myself also play around in SST mode. Nothing wrong with going D4 to D3 and back again in some little twisties, aggressive or not. I can mix it up with the best of then no doubt. Obtained a license in '83 added motorcycle shortly there after followed by an upgrade to Class 1 with air brake endorsement upward to 80,000lbs combination vehicle ... damn I was even a truck training school instructor for a brief winter some few years ago.

Anyhow ... sorry, you two know I should be able to manage I'd imagine.

Cheers! (you also Michael/Jeff)

Should pull up your pants real high and put your Fn Urkel glasses on next time you decide to bitch slap me with words! Clearly I didn't get my thoughts across properly. I did not say it has a towing gear option. By towing gearing I meant to convey just that ... that it stays in gear longer without jumping into 5th. I don't have the OM in front of me but I'm willing to bet it reads in there something with regards to pulling a small trailer and the usage of D4 maybe even some reference to hill climbs ... can't say for sure .... don't really care .... sorry you don't find a need to use or have use for D4, as I mentioned, it's a personal preference and in referance to city driving using D4 I'm sure I had already figured that out.

Do please leave me your cell number so I can at least call you for advice on how to Fn drive something.

Like I put these three LS'es in my driveway yesterday you thought.

Loud, please! I'm not sure if you are trying to educate me on something I already do know or simply elaborating on what I already said to LS4ME ... I'm going to suggest to myself it must be option number two. I may or may not get it right every time but the two of you have known me for a few years now and can possibly agree with me that I don't need much lessons in how to drive anything.

I stated that I preferred, doesn't mean I meant to apply that my way is the only way ... the name is not Don here.

I'll have another read over the OM when I get back home but in no way was I trying to suggest it was the right way or the only way.

I prefer D4 and slip it into D5 when up to speed.
Like others I myself also play around in SST mode. Nothing wrong with going D4 to D3 and back again in some little twisties, aggressive or not. I can mix it up with the best of then no doubt. Obtained a license in '83 added motorcycle shortly there after followed by an upgrade to Class 1 with air brake endorsement upward to 80,000lbs combination vehicle ... damn I was even a truck training school instructor for a brief winter some few years ago.

Anyhow ... sorry, you two know I should be able to manage I'd imagine.

Cheers! (you also Michael/Jeff)

DUDE!!!!! Take a chill pill!!

Page 216, 2004 Owners Guide...

TRAILER TOWING
Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available
through Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealers.
Driving

Not arguing with you...

Still don't get it do ya

EDIT - - - - Meanwhile electrical diagrams for the trunk area clearly shows towing lighting hook up. I've brought that up before in the past with a posted pic of diagram.

But towing option isn't the subject matter. Correctional officers when the slightest wording is delivered out of context, is the matter.

No wonder Noobs can't stand this place .... rail roaded every Fn time.

Getting to be done here myself soon enough also. Maybe pull a Telco exit.

HERE FROM THE 1st gen OM's

2016_05_14_21_13_17.jpg

Clearly it makes referance to D4 towing!!!
Further in said manual it discusses DRIVING WHILE TOWING.

although towing wasn't the discussion or correction you felt the need to piss on me anyhow, yet here we do find material related to my statement.

I said I understood it as a towing gearing, potentially not 100% correctly termed as gears specifically listed as a towing gear. Was not even close to what I was thinking.

I made referance to the fact I prefer D4 as it seems like towing gearing to me.

Do appreciate the lesson though! Fn BS!!! doesn't have a towing gear! Recommend usage while towing, apples and oranges.

Hopefully you can get your head around it this time.

In a slow traffic jam I just flip it down to 2nd gear and it will cover up to 30 mph or down to zero. Keeps the tranny from shifting all the time. `Course you don't need SST to do that. don-ohio :)^)

Quote Loud:

"it just increases the chance of messing up a shift due to human error..."

Been there... did that a few times when I first got my LS. My hand/ear coodination isn't quick enough to properly use SST,,, so now I rarely touch it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back