How long do Lincoln LS engines last?

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I usually muddle in the Mark VIII section because that's what I drive. My wife is looking for a car and I thought an LS V8 would be a great car for her because well....they are nice looking.

Anyway I'm trying to figure out how long these engine usually last? Also how long are the transmissions good for?

I know that with the Mark VIII's the engine usually last 200k+ and the tranny goes every 100k. I'm just trying to gauge what mileage would be safe for her to buy.

Thanks guys.

Btw, is there any other things I should watch out for with the LS?

What year LS are you looking at? There is a member on here who has hit 200,000 in his LS. Also there are a few members who have well over 100k and still running strong. I would recommend a second gen LS 03-06. If I had to do it all over again that's what I would go with. A lot of the common problems on the first gen LS they corrected in the second gen. Just my two cents.

I just turned over 140K on my '02 V-8 LS. I've replaced the ignition coils and the plugs. I simply snugged-up the cam cover bolts. Engine still going strong and I race the car at Maxton. I've used as much as a 150 shot of spray and run methanol in a stand-alone fuel supply to go with the spray.
Come on in---the water's fine !
KS

any engine should be good if you take care of it right. dont c why you cant go over 200k even though you'll probably replace so much stuff on any engine over time, you might not have any parts from the original engine!!!!

I thought someone said they recently hit 225,000 miles? As with your Mark, its all about taking care of it.

only common problem with the LS's are the coils other than that you're good to go. I have 83,000 on my 02 V8 and all Ive done on it is plugs and coils. Make sure you snugg up them coil cover bolts so that moisture dont get in there and you are good.

I bought my 2000 LS with a blown V6 @ 125K. So that engine only made 125K not that good. It broke 2 connecting rods in half and pulled the wrist pin out of the piston.The main and rod bearings looked 100% brand new you could still read the light shadow numbers Ford printed on the bearing surface that goes against crank! But I really have not seen many v6 LS's with blown motors for sale. I mostly see the v8 cars for sale with lower end rap or timing chain issues.

over 600k easy :D

2nai3pv.jpg

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=44154

Isn't that 62,679.5 miles.

No, it's actually displaying 626,795 miles. It's in a thread that was posted a while back. It's an electronics malfunction of some sort. The mileage on the car was neither 62K or 626K miles.
For those who don't know, on the LS when you get to 100,000 miles, the decimal point goes off and the odometer starts reading in whole miles only. I assume that it could read up to 999,999 miles, but there's no chance of the rest of the car making it that far.

my first gen just hit 80,000 and the only problem i really had was the alternator, other than that ive yet to get my hands really dirty, other things r small like window regulator, bulbs burnt, and sometimes ignorant locals try to throw big ass bricks for sleeping with their gf's but seeing as you are married, you won't have that problem.:D

my first gen just hit 80,000 and the only problem i really had was the alternator, other than that ive yet to get my hands really dirty, other things r small like window regulator, bulbs burnt, and sometimes ignorant locals try to throw big ass bricks for sleeping with their gf's but seeing as you are married, you won't have that problem.:D

Yeah I'm sure hoping I don't get any bricks launched at my cars. If they do they'll be quickly greeted by me and my Crocodile Dundee knife :D

my cousin's 00 V8 just hit 190K, it had the alt replaced around 150 and he just got it back from the trans shop for the first time, and it is on its third set of coils (assuming he got it at 100K with the originals in it) the first set was replaced almost as soon as he got it and the second was replaced a couple of months before the trans went out.

and he beats on his car like it owes him money!

V8 or V6? The V6 is the venerated Duratec engine. I've heard of them lasting rediculous amounts of time. I can't say on the V8 as mine only has 60,000 on it. It is running strong though. I'd bet the engine can last forever, it just might not work that entire time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back