How long does an LS last?

djrudebwoy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Had my LS for a week now and today it just rolled over 150 Km. Just wondering what the average life span of this car is with scheduled maintenance.

Beat On It

new motor every 6 months to a year

Gee, your experience is so much different than mine. I'm still running the original---although it has a new set of coils and I'm on the third set of plugs---and I've pounded on it for 141K miles. 'Pounding' includes running it on Nitrous oxide and methanol in addition to 116 race gas in order to set to Land Speed records. I AM in process---slowly---of building a fresh aluminium-rod motor to allow 30+ pounds of boost and as much as 400 HP of methanol/spray. I've not gone beyond 150 HP of spray with the original engine.;)
KS

mines a manual so when sliding sideways and steady bouncing off the rev limiter which was raised from the stock setting will spin those bearing and toss those rods right out the sides. lol

i was kinda kidding because i think its a funny question when someone asks how long a car will last. like theres really an answer

new motor every 6 months to a year

He's measuring in KM so it's only 3-6 months.

It really depends upon your engine/transmission and maintenance. The v8 seems to have timing chain issues after 100k miles, the v6 does not. They both have problems with ignition coils going bad. There are a few issues with the automatic trans. Use the search function, this has been discussed before.

206k and counting.

I never had timing issues... just coils and some other stuff you'd expect. Transmission went out at about 180k

200k.jpg

the guy who jus fixed up a few things on my LS, has a 03 LS v8 and he has 251,000Km on it,and it still looks amazing, he also used to work for Ford/Lincoln, said its the best car hes ever had lol

How long they last depends on the method of pasteurization used when the car was built. You should check the door jamb sticker to find the "best used by" date.

:D

How long they last depends on the method of pasteurization used when the car was built. You should check the door jamb sticker to find the "best used by" date.

:D

LOL! Mine says March 11 2007 though, oh no!

I still have my 1977 F250 460auto with 347000+ miles on her and shes far from dead.

the guy who jus fixed up a few things on my LS, has a 03 LS v8 and he has 251,000Km on it,and it still looks amazing, he also used to work for Ford/Lincoln, said its the best car hes ever had lol

hey is he a good mechanic wouldn't mind checking him out since he actually knows the car

I'm about to cross over 100,000 miles. I'm hoping to get at least 50,000 more out of it. I've had it since 67,000. Been good to me so far, except for coils. :D

hey is he a good mechanic wouldn't mind checking him out since he actually knows the car

lol funny that u asked, i was thinkin about pm'ing you about this mechanic since ur out here in toronto too, yea hes good, hes got an LS so he actually knows the car, all the mechanics i went to out here dont kno :q:q:q:q about the LS, only problem is hes all the way in woodbrigde

i have had many problems with my ls and my tranny just went today at 140,000 miles i will never drive another ls

i have had many problems with my ls and my tranny just went today at 140,000 miles i will never drive another ls

Probably a good thing. Buy a Toyota, and let us know how that turns out.

A few problems

Seems like some have had great experiences with their LS's. Mine has 116k miles on it, is an '03 V8.
Absolutely flawless through 90,000 miles. Then the COPs went just after 90k, the CEL came on at about 110k miles (tech said the cats are "below spec") and the tranny threw the E message at 112k miles.
Held off on the cats since in CA you are supposed to use only OEM ($2k) then the tranny acted up. No 1st or 5th and wouldn't shift in D4 or D5. So I had a reportedly reputable shop replace the solenoid pack and it changed nothing. I've been manually shifting it between 2/3/4 since then.

You dont have to use oem cats, you just can't put any cat on their. You have to follow some new guidelines but definitely dont have to go oem. I was qoted at 160 per OB2 cat, following whatever the new regulations are.

For California Application look-up it will no longer be based upon G.V.W. (Gross Vehicle Weight) and engine size. Catalytic Converter Application look-up for California ONLY is the only approved method for determining the correct part number. It is illegal in California to select a catalytic converter for installation based solely on vehicle weight, engine size, physical shape, size, configuration or pipe diameter.

Members online

Back