ICE Box

ONEBADMK8 said:
How is this Vendor complacency? Do I have control over the Guy who makes these for me?
Get a grip.

I tell you people what he tells me ? Thats all I can do, so do not make it look like I just sit back and do nothing about this and YES I have tried other vendors to do the manufacturing and of course once again since its such SMALL numbers none of them even want to bother with it and I cannot blame them. My guy is HEAVY into Military contracts and they HAVE to come first and he does these as a favor so thats all I can tell you Guys.

Geno,

Thanks for setting me straight. I certainly meant no offense.

Geno, Maybe you can get 02LSE96LSC91SE84TC to make some for LMS. If you are having troubles getting your guys to build them due to lack of quantity.

Here we have someone who can make them for us, and maybe have a product that we could buy now and not have to wait until it meets someone else schedule.

I don't know if anyone else is like me but I have a small fund that I keep for my Mark VIII toys. It's also the funds that get hit first when things other things come up. So if I'm looking for an Ice Box I may not be able to wait to purchase them from LMS if the product is not available, and someone else has one or can make one that I can purchase when I have the funds that's what I have to do.

Right now my Mark VIII funds are low... So I'm not getting anything new for a bit.

maybe, however . . . Overkill and Eyecandy rule, that has both.

That X-model may never make it to market, still is a great looking mod.

That one does look awesome. Ours will polish to a mirror if you so choose to do so. Anyone can make it, its not rocket science. I made my own in about two hours when we made the template. I just started offering them for an easy item to just buy and plunk in.

If your comes out smoother and better looking than whatever I manage to put together here (very likely), then I'll definitely purchase it, but for now I just want the function more than anything.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Firstly that one looks great yet its overkill, too expensive to make also.
How is it overkill? The idea is to provide the coldest air possible for the car to breath. One wall of material cannot possibly achieve two seperate temperatures inside and out. Maybe some type of polymer, but no metals I ever heard of. Also the factory air box shields the mass air sensor from heat, That is lost with the open filter set-up. My unit sheilds it also. Overkill, no functional. It is also about as air tight as your gonna get, functional. The fact that it looks good is just how I try to do things. It didn't take long and I like to do creative stuff like this. Believe it or not it was designed all for fuction, it just happens to look good too.

Would it be "overkill" to have an interstitial area to put ice into, like the '60's technology of having coils of fuel line run through an actual "ice box" for better performance? Maybe put some lunch box blue ice freezes between the two sheets of metal on race night? Just a thought.

torquemonkey said:
Would it be "overkill" to have an interstitial area to put ice into, like the '60's technology of having coils of fuel line run through an actual "ice box" for better performance? Maybe put some lunch box blue ice freezes between the two sheets of metal on race night? Just a thought.
Can't say it would pull the temp of the filter side down to ice type temps. However it would however keep the box colder overall. Daily driving probably a waste, at the track it could help while waiting in staging lines alot. The only time the inner panel really gets hot is after the car sits with a hot motor, running or not. This would stop that. It would be a easy thing to fab or even integrate into my current design, Can't drip on the track, they don't like that, I would make sure it was sealed. Maybe enough room to set your beer while working under the hood.

Dry ice for the desert racers. I have read in a CAT diesel manual that for every one degree of intake temperature it raises the exhaust by three degrees. So if a gasoline engine is anything close to that, it is optimal for higher ambient temp racers to have an actual "ice-box". Just a theory, after all is it worth the weight gain? However w/ 3900lb. curb weight, its all a matter of time slips.

Though for those of us who idle in long traffic w/ AC on, a well designed intake scoop for cooler air can only be a good thing.

You could just drop some of those right in around the filter, not to many to restrict flow. Still think more on track night. I still don't know if it could possibly cool the air, the air spends little time in the box. Kinda funny, packing a lunch for you in the morning, and can't forget about the car, it likes it food cold too.

Yep, definately a track night deal. I have a few buddys that do a 50# shot of NO2 to cool off the manifold track. As I understand it works pretty good for intercoolers as well. To go along w/ the box idea, I have seen offered a cold air scoop for mustangs. Rather pricey for playing around w/ VIII's, still something to look at. It incorporates a under bumper scoop that snakes up throught the fenderwell to the air box. That would be quite trick to do w/ an air compressor down there.
All in all, its been fun bench racing for ideas.

while we are on this topic,what air filter (k&n) do i need ?like the one in these pics.

thanks

I had forgotten about this bit of Ford Patented Tech. The info comes from;
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=418

Cool Technology Takes Power to New Levels:
Coletti’s team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn’t enough.

Ford’s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system’s readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

“This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast,” Coletti says. “The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.”

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative.

The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R.

The theory would be the same for N/A cars too I would think. Fits the "Ice Box" promise as the name applies. Again, between rounds.

Moes8 said:
while we are on this topic,what air filter (k&n) do i need ?like the one in these pics.

thanks
I would have to dig that up, the box is somewhere. It was a part of the LMS Mega Mass Air kit, Geno would know.

Members online

Back