ICE Box

torquemonkey said:
The theory would be the same for N/A cars too I would think. Fits the "Ice Box" promise as the name applies. Again, between rounds.
Turbos and superchargers generate alot of heat so the effect has big power gains, on a N/A application alot less. In other words the intercoolers are removing the heat the power adder is adding, N/A motors don't have that problem. Power would be gained but minor. On the track anything helps. The Ice Box term or Cold Air Intake term really means or could also be said as. "At least the air isn't as hot as under the hood", or "As cold as the air is going to get for todays temp". Making the air as cold as ice will only make the car as fast as it is on a cold winter day.

torquemonkey said:
I had forgotten about this bit of Ford Patented Tech. The info comes from;
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=418

Cool Technology Takes Power to New Levels:
Coletti’s team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn’t enough.

Ford’s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system’s readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

“This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast,” Coletti says. “The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.”

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative.

The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R.

LMAO! Old news, the SuperMark had that setup back in 1993!! LOL!! The Supermark was a benchmark for ALOT of the Ford technology thats out now, very cool.

engine2aa.jpg

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Turbos and superchargers generate alot of heat so the effect has big power gains, on a N/A application alot less. In other words the intercoolers are removing the heat the power adder is adding, N/A motors don't have that problem. Power would be gained but minor. On the track anything helps. The Ice Box term or Cold Air Intake term really means or could also be said as. "At least the air isn't as hot as under the hood", or "As cold as the air is going to get for todays temp". Making the air as cold as ice will only make the car as fast as it is on a cold winter day.

Right, I'm talking about idling and stop and go traffic in 115-degree ambient temp. Under the hood being more, shielding as much heat is a benefit. Especially out here in the "dry heat". What may be argued as minimal performance gains can be seen as engine longevity gains. Outside of bench racing, having my 100k+mi. mill live longer is a benefit. With that in mind, no I’m not about to pack ice in my engine bay to drive to work. Yes maybe on summer nights, I’ll see about cooling the intake charge as much as possible, by means that I see fit.
Out here its not unusual to see fellas w/ ice bags on their intakes, intercoolers and radiators in between runs.
If a man was good enough to get there car to runs as good as if it were on a cold Wisconsin night down here, well, dang good job.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
That is eye candy for real. Never saw GenIs without coil paks, Is that coil on plug.

The whole car is a freakshow. Coil on plug, 2 tb's, 2 maf's, 3 ecu's, 2 24lb injectors per cylinder..etc..etc.

ONEBADMK8 said:
The whole car is a freakshow. Coil on plug, 2 tb's, 2 maf's, 3 ecu's, 2 24lb injectors per cylinder..etc..etc.

please excuse my ignorance,but can you tell me about the supermark,i mean ,everything there is to know,
do you have the car now?

please enlighten me ,its so beautiful,,ahhhhhh.

need more knowledge,please..............drooooooooooool !!

thanks

ONEBADMK8 said:
Thats kinda mindboogling, the Mark in general was IMO ahead of its time, but that thing is crazy.

torquemonkey said:
Right, I'm talking about idling and stop and go traffic in 115-degree ambient temp. Under the hood being more, shielding as much heat is a benefit. Especially out here in the "dry heat". What may be argued as minimal performance gains can be seen as engine longevity gains. Outside of bench racing, having my 100k+mi. mill live longer is a benefit. With that in mind, no I’m not about to pack ice in my engine bay to drive to work. Yes maybe on summer nights, I’ll see about cooling the intake charge as much as possible, by means that I see fit.
Out here its not unusual to see fellas w/ ice bags on their intakes, intercoolers and radiators in between runs.
If a man was good enough to get there car to runs as good as if it were on a cold Wisconsin night down here, well, dang good job.
Yea I know living in WI our heat isn't squat compared to yours, so I guess the power gains would be more, or perhaps lack of power loss. Very good point.

So the agreed difference being that you may see a HP gain and I would get closer to zero (or less) HP loss. After all, heat soak will get you every time.

torquemonkey said:
So the agreed difference being that you may see a HP gain and I would get closer to zero (or less) HP loss. After all, heat soak will get you every time.
On a hot day around here you can notice horsepower drop, but its not often enough to get to concerned (I only drove my Mark 600 hundred miles last year). You deal with it all summer long. I guess you could say not having some sort of cold air device is like living in AZ in the summer on a hot day, even if your in WI on a cool winter day. Its a must have!

Moes8 said:
while we are on this topic,what air filter (k&n) do i need ?like the one in these pics.

thanks
The filter in the pic is a K&N RE-0870. If you plan on switching to a conical but intend to use your stock MAF, you'll need a adapter.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
The filter in the pic is a K&N RE-0870. If you plan on switching to a conical but intend to use your stock MAF, you'll need a adapter.
thank you

Hey Geno... I'm in for one if you could also get me that flexible rubber connector tube that connects the MAF to the throttle body tube.
How much would it be for your ICE box and that rubber intake connector shipped to 60638? Thanks.

StraDog said:
Hey Geno... I'm in for one if you could also get me that flexible rubber connector tube that connects the MAF to the throttle body tube.
How much would it be for your ICE box and that rubber intake connector shipped to 60638? Thanks.

Your referring to the accordian hose I assume? If so that is not available seperately, it comes with the entire tube.

I want the whole kit. The intake tube thats been trimmed all the way to the conical air filter. Do you have a whole kit?

Oh that sucks... Alright well, I'll have to find one somewhere else. Anyone one here have an extra "accordian tube" that goes along with the throttle body tube?

How much for the ICE box ?

Marine said:
Maybe just go with the 1 wall version, make a whole bunch, and let Geno sell them. There is lots of interest in these, I am wanting one myself. This way every one is happy.

Order up now I am down to 7 units and I have no idea when I will be getting more.

Put me down for one... Give me the price to put on the check. I'll be calling ya tomorrow. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back