Just put in a 06 xxx and it sounds like crap???

20BlackLS00

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
THe speaker is not nearly as loud as my 2 audiobahn flame Q's. its facing forward through the seats with them down running off 1 2500d in a box built to its specifications. all i have now is 2 batteries. This is far from my expectations. This was installed by a professional audio store and im extremly dissapointed. I cant imagine wats wrong. Its got 0 gauge wire and everythin. Would adding a 200 or 240 amp alt make that big of a difference cuz right now it can barely make my rearview mirror go down and doesnt even compare to the audobahns that were in there.

why did u take the audiobahns out? and changing the altenator i dont see that making that much of a diff.

because i saw the xxx being louder then the audiobahns and more of a quality speaker and i was told it would be louder. Secondly its a lot nicer of an install but i dunno it supposed to sound really good. And looking at the speaker itself ive never seen a speaker like it. Its 13 inches deep and weighs nearly 80lbs and ive heard the old ones in other cars and they wre loud as :q:q:q:q and the new one was supposed to be even better and its 2000 rms

i will get to posting some pics later tommorow cuz the trim that goes around the eclosure needed to be cut down to inches and recovered because the seats would not go up with it in there. but if anyone has any other info to help me with y this isnt loud it would be appreciated

I suspect if you're already running 0 guage wire and 2 batteries that you have this covered, but what kind of wattage is your amp putting out? I switched to two Power Acoustik FUBR 12's and they're quieter than my old junky pioneer ones - only because they dont have enough power running to them. I suspect you've got a huge amp in there, but just to rule out the possibility, what are you running?

**EDIT** Never mind, I re-read your post and you likely have more than enough power, so I'm not sure.

Barring that I would go back to the shop that installed it and ask them what they think could be happening.

One reason could be is that you have them firing into the back of the seat, think about it, you have like 3-4 inches of foam absorbing the sound. Foam is very good at absorbing sound, so with the subs firing directly into them, it will dampen the sound. try flipppin them around and see what happens. personal experience says that they will be louder with them facing towards the rear of the car.
Elisha

That doesn't seem to add up. That sub should perform very well as well as the amp. The alt shouldn't have a very big impact. Is the box sealed or ported? Have you personally looked at the wiring to make sure the sub is hooked up correctly from the amp? What gauge speaker wire are you using?

Its been a long known car audio fact that having the woofers facing backwards produces a much better sound. Also, a sealed box will work better in your trunk.

Fla02LS said:
Its been a long known car audio fact that having the woofers facing backwards produces a much better sound. Also, a sealed box will work better in your trunk.

1. it has not been proven that it produces better sound fcaing backwards, it is all personal preference and the make of the car. SOme cars with the subs firing upwards produces louder sound. The hatch revererates the sound waves from the subs, but facing thme back wards dows not sound amazingly better. In fact most people without an acoustical ear cannot hear the difference.

And 2. sealed or ported is once again the listeners preference. The sub will produce more output with less power in a ported box then sealed, but will lose some of the sound quality that it has. But because it is an re audio woofer putting it in a ported box will not hurt the sound much at all. Upgrading to a ported box from a selaed box will increase the output of the sub, which is what he is looking to do.

fire it away from you ive installed car audio for years now bass waves double when they travel at least 10 inches then reflect ive had subs in my ls and they hammered firing away from me be sure that it wired correctly depending on single or dual voice coil could be in phase always fire away or down never towards you all you hear then is the speaker moving the air not the bass wave whats a xxx anyway who makes it?

XxbmxlsxX said:
fire it away from you ive installed car audio for years now bass waves double when they travel at least 10 inches then reflect ive had subs in my ls and they hammered firing away from me be sure that it wired correctly depending on single or dual voice coil could be in phase always fire away or down never towards you all you hear then is the speaker moving the air not the bass wave whats a xxx anyway who makes it?

not looking to argue with you or anything man, but if you install car audio and you dont know what an xxx is I can't say that i would really want you to be installing ym system. An xx is basically a super woofer. There arent many that you can compare it to. The only subs that are close are digital designs subs, but they get louder. The xxx gets exteremly loud, buut retains great sq while doing it. Do a search on it and look at some pictures, its an amazing sub.
Just curious what kind of systems do you install? main stream like kicker and alpine?

XxbmxlsxX said:
Thank you. Like i said, its not a matter of preference, its a fact. I dont know why your bringing up a hatchback though, we're talking an LS with a trunk. Any car with a sub box in the trunk should have the box pushed as far back(or towards the front which ever way you look it) facing the rear. Also a sealed box will give you better sound in a trunk. I am an old school guy with alot of experience with this type of thing. My first car was a '85 buick regal that i shook the hell out of with two 12" Lanzars. Ever hear of Lanzars? Dont think they are around anymore. Anyway, ported is good for a hatchback or whatever where its in the cabin of the car. For the trunk i'd go sealed.

Many installers ahve not heard of the RE XXX or other brands like DD or eD cause they are not sold in stores. Not uncommon at all. I have spoken with car audio shop owners who haven't heard of those brands but it doen't mean they dont know what they are doing.

The standard I go by, and you can dispute this if you want, is as follows:

Facing the rear typically produces louder sound, facing the front will provide a cleaner sound.

Ported / bandpass will be louder, but sealed will have cleaner/crisper sound.

This of course depends on your subs and your amp, and this is just TYPICALLY what i've seen, doesn't mean it'll work 100% of the time. If you're concerned about the foam in the seat making a difference (and yes it will make a little bit of difference) then just fold down your seat back and see if it helps. As far as what way to face things and how they reverberate and the measurements away from the back of your car for placing the sub: most people will have a preference that they say works better, and I have noticed a difference myself, but if I remember right bass waves are not directional, meaning that they should emanate from a source outwards, but pointing them a certain direction shouldnt make a difference. That being said, hatchbacks seem to get a lot more sound when the waves are bouncing off the back glass.

I could go into all sorts of technical jargon about wave lengths etc. but what it comes down to is trying out different things to see what your personal listening preference is. I havn't built the system for my LS yet, but I will be soon. I still find it strange that I'm more interested in the sound quality than i am with show-off earth-shattering bass. I guess its just a sign that I'm getting old...

first of all i meant hatch as the trunk lid and second of all yes lanzars are still around, and they are exteremly poor quality woofers. Beating the trunk up with lanzar's dont go in the same sentence...

The difference between a box makes no difference in the hatch or the trunk its the sound it produces. A ported box produces more sound. period. not more sound in a hatch, not more sound in a trunk. period regardless of the area it is placed in a ported box will have more output then a sealed box.

absolutely upgrade alt

absolutely upgrading the electrical makes a huge difference with any above average audio. i have not seen and 260 amp alt's but if you have let me know i am in dire straits?

buddyleee5 said:
second of all yes lanzars are still around, and they are exteremly poor quality woofers. Beating the trunk up with lanzar's dont go in the same sentence...
Speak for yourself on that one buddy. Back in 1991 (How old were you then?), when i was doing my thing... there where three major subs, you had Orions, Lanzar, and the 'ol Fosgate Punch. Then later came Bazooka's and on and on. The Lanzar's i had at the time held the record for spl at audio shows. I had two 12" in a 3 cu.ft. sealed box running off a 300 watt amp. This was in the trunk of my '85 Regal. That sh!t would rock the hell out of the trunk, rattle the side and rearview mirrors so bad you couldnt see out of it. When the car was in the garage, it would shake the walls of the house. Sitting in the car your voice got rattled. An unopened can of soda placed on the trunk would just rattle right off. I am sure the technology in car audio has come a long long way since 1991 but at that time, my car was the sh!t at my school. I had those same 12" in three seperate cars...all of them got rocked. So please, dont tell me what time it is in that regard. As far as quality, those same 15 yr old subs are still in my garage and would work again if fired up.

As far as firing subs forward or backwards that is up to you. I have done both in many situations. Firing them forward generaly ends up with a more punchy sound and not quite as deep of bass. Firing them backwards tends to more or less use your trunk as an enclosure wich results in deeper boomyer bass but it does not "hit" as well. In my volvo I have decided that I like the subs facing forward (2 10's) in a slot ported box. They seem to go low enough for me and facing them backward I ended up with some kind of resinant sound which kind of made it seem like the bass was a litle delayed. In the LS I have 1 12 in the back of the trunk facing across. It gets the job done well. I guess in the LS I was mostly going for space conservation and not so much for rediculace bass. But like I said earlyer, what kind of sound you want changes in style of box, size of box, setup and size of trunk, and can differ from woofer to woofer. So I know this in no way helped with why your sub isn't as loud as you want it, but in terms of placement you just have to try out a few positions and find out what you like. In theory that sub should rock the wheels off in almost any position. Make sure you RCA's are both getting signal at the rear and recheck the sub wiring, even pro's make mistakes sometimes. Post in here what you have tried and what you have found I am curious to see if you get this this pounding.
Eamonn

i wasnt bad mouthing the sub just hadnt heard of it i install home audio now used to be on orion team extreme in 1997-1998 worked with jl,phoenix gold, soundstream ,alpine, kicker, fosqate, all sorts just didnt know what the xxx was the audiobahns are a pretty good quality sub i was really into spl contests when i was in high school thats when i was on team extreme just check your wiring move it around if you can for the best sound if that doesnt work change out the sub if its a vented enclosure the vent must be exactly to manufacturers specs also maybe contact them good luck

bring the seats down... have u thought about dynamat to stop the rattle... or maybe porting the box.. are u sure u have enough air space? is the box made from the right wood? is it sealed correctly.. usually when this is a problem u either dont have a good amp (which doesnt seem to be the case) or the box is jus not right for that speaker..

Sounds to me like some wiring is goofed up. I'd check to make all the polarity is right and that they didn't do something dumb like splice some RCA's and hook em up backwards.

THe problem i was having was i did not have enough voltage and the amp was putting out enough power. Next week i should have my 280 alt and kinetic 1800 amp powercell and that should do it cuz then i can put my second orion 2500 on it and the sub will doing 4000 rms, this sub isnt the soundstream one its a RE or resonant engineering xxx. once all that stuff is in and hooked up the speaker should be able to reach the mid 150s, rihgt now only doing about 130. i will post some pics of the install and the sub and specs

Members online

Back