mark viii dual alternatord

Lincolnls00arturo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have done the research n no luck, that been said. I have a 97 mark8 with 6 15'' subs. I need to install 2-230amp alt. Had any of u done this before? Any ideas how to make a bracket? Any help is appreciated. Tank you in advance.

You could probably run another one with a termi bracket. Have you looked into a cvpi alt? From my understanding they are pretty stout to run all the cop ****

I have done the research n no luck, that been said. I have a 97 mark8 with 6 15'' subs. I need to install 2-230amp alt. Had any of u done this before? Any ideas how to make a bracket? Any help is appreciated. Tank you in advance.

I think the alternator you have chose is enough and instead of trying to add another alternator, you might want to consider hooking two of these up in parallel.

122xspower_group_ACC.jpg

What AMP are you running?

Why 6 15's and how are you going to fit them? Sealed with less than desired air space?

Got pics?

Im calling BS on this one unless you are putting them in the back seat as well. Hell i had to take part of the trunk apart just to get my 2 12's in there with a half decent ported box. I am not sure id agree with NoLimit on this one. I think if you're trying to run that kind of power and system you will need the alts. The batteries are nice for parking lot time but if you're pulling hard enough you'll drain em and you will still need to charge them back up. However this has always been a long standing debate for as long as i can remember. Alternators vs caps/more batteries. Either way you got. your first problem will be find a spot for those 15's.

I believe the trunk has something like 14-15 cubic feet of space. So good luck. I really want to see this done so I'm not against you.

Im calling BS on this one unless you are putting them in the back seat as well. Hell i had to take part of the trunk apart just to get my 2 12's in there with a half decent ported box. I am not sure id agree with NoLimit on this one.

I suggested it because fabricating a bracket and finding a place for it isn't going to be just a simple bolt on and getting a longer belt.Might not even be a place for it. He might be putting the six 15's in the back seat, into a wall. That's where I'd go with them. The alternator size he's going with should be enough to keep those or one extra battery charged. I guess we would need to know what he is planning on using to push all six of them to better answer the question. Could be 6 amps, could be 3 but if it's no more than three 1500.1's for the subs, 2 alternators @ 230 amps each is going overboard. I was just suggesting a simpler way to go but without knowing the amount of amps he will be pulling, I guess I should have held back that suggestion. :shifty:

You have 3600 watts Trippen, what are you using for your power source? All I have is a stock 120 amp alternator, 850/1000 battery, Kicker ZX1000.1 and three 10's and not one bit of light dimming at all. Then again, I'm also not into the major leagues with what I have lol

Hell, throw 6 alternators in there.

6 Alternators Over 1800 Continuous Amps of 15+ Volts! NO BELT SLIP! Iraggi Alternator FTW! - YouTube

I suggested it because fabricating a bracket and finding a place for it isn't going to be just a simple bolt on and getting a longer belt.Might not even be a place for it. He might be putting the six 12's in the back seat, into a wall. That's where I'd go with them. The alternator size he's going with should be enough to keep those or one extra battery charged. I guess we would need to know what he is planning on using to push all six of them to better answer the question. Could be 6 amps, could be 3 but if it's no more than three 1500.1's for the subs, 2 alternators @ 230 amps each is going overboard. I was just suggesting a simpler way to go but without knowing the amount of amps he will be pulling, I guess I should have held back that suggestion. :shifty:

You have 3600 watts Trippen, what are you using for your power source? All I have is a stock 120 amp alternator, 850/1000 battery, Kicker ZX1000.1 and three 10's and not one bit of light dimming at all. Then again, I'm also not into the major leagues with what I have lol

Hell, throw 6 alternators in there.

6 Alternators Over 1800 Continuous Amps of 15+ Volts! NO BELT SLIP! Iraggi Alternator FTW! - YouTube

No way should you have held back on your suggestion. Please don't think i was knocking it. As for my setup I'm running stock alt too till i grab a bigger one :)- I do have a 25 farad cap that helps tho. I can tell you tho that vatozone dislikes me. I'm averaging a new alt every 3 months with them. Talk about abusing the life time warranty. They even tried to tell me to get a refund and go somewhere else. I told them it says life time so shut up and get me a new one please and see ya again in 3 months. I just switched up my system actually. Now I'm running a Sundown SAZ-1500 with two 12 inch Skar Audio VVX's and a Quantium 2000 4 channel amp for the mids and highs.

6 Iraggi Alts. I bet thats a steven mead link isnt it. anyway Id really like to see this dude stuff 6 15's into a mark viii. i bet he blows the windows out or it sounds like poop. one or the other. as for a double alt. I think the relocator that people use when they run boost might be a good start

edit:

looks like i was wrong about that being a steve mead link. but he has a few of those same alts in his tahoe

No way should you have held back on your suggestion. Please don't think i was knocking it. As for my setup I'm running stock alt too till i grab a bigger one :)- I do have a 25 farad cap that helps tho. I can tell you tho that vatozone dislikes me. I'm averaging a new alt every 3 months with them. Talk about abusing the life time warranty. They even tried to tell me to get a refund and go somewhere else. I told them it says life time so shut up and get me a new one please and see ya again in 3 months. I just switched up my system actually. Now I'm running a Sundown SAZ-1500 with two 12 inch Skar Audio VVX's and a Quantium 2000 4 channel amp for the mids and highs.

6 Iraggi Alts. I bet thats a steven mead link isnt it. anyway Id really like to see this dude stuff 6 15's into a mark viii. i bet he blows the windows out or it sounds like poop. one or the other. as for a double alt. I think the relocator that people use when they run boost might be a good start

I had a Chevelle when I was young that had a high compression engine in it. I bought a lifetime starter from VIP (parts store up in Maine). The first starter lasted a month, 2nd lasted 4 months (the longest), the third lasted 6 weeks, and the 4th like 2 months.

I got sick of changing them and asked for a BETTER QUALITY starter. They gave me a different brand that came with a 5 year warranty - it NEVER burned up the remaining years I owned the car.

Just something to think about - ask them for a better brand alternator that can handle more abuse. Also, can't you get these high performance alternators up to like 350 amps or more?

Trippin, I don't see 3600rms between those 2 amps.

And aren't you tired of replacing alts? Just get a built one and be done with it.

Trippin, I don't see 3600rms between those 2 amps.

And aren't you tired of replacing alts? Just get a built one and be done with it.

I should probably update that huh :) I think now its closer to 2000 RMS but its a much cleaner better power and sounds a ton better. I do plan on getting a better alt. I just have other things that are higher on the list. hence why i just swap the alts. I actually burned autozone with a swap. I went grabbed a junk yard alt and turned it in as faulty. so i always have a back up :) and really it takes like what 3 minutes to change it out if that. its not a big deal

I have been running my AZ alternator for nearly 3 years now. I think I got lucky and got a good one out of the bunch. The first one lasted 2 to 3 weeks. One good thing about it is that if it ever goes bad, you don't have to worry about a shortage of AZ's on the corner and getting yourself another one for free. I don't beat my system a whole lot anymore but when I do, nothing at all dims down on me and the alt has been doing fine.

If I had one of these other aftermarket alts and it went bad on me, then what would I do? I'd be stuck with it until I could get another one or get that one replaced. People bash AZ all they want but I'm all for being able to replace my battery and or alternator for free any day. As power hungry the Marks are, you never know when one is going to go bad. I'm just glad I got lucky and got a good one that has lasted. Many others on here are also running Duralast alternators. I know of about 5 of us.

If you're running 6 15" subs you might consider more than just 2 alternators. For running that kind of setup with obviously insane ammount of power coming from the amps you need a good battery rack. Note, not a good battery but a good rack! A rack that is containing atleast a high 1 figure ammount of good quality batteries.
I would love to see how you managed to squeeze 6 15" subs in a Mark Viii even with the backseat gone.
Pics are definetly wanted! :D

From the sounds of it he could be running them compound so it needs half the box space and only has the the frontal area of 3 15's. I used to make competition stuff for SPL back in the early 90's and would compound GS 15's in SAAB's for DB drags. Powered by a Hifonics Colossus and then he had us put in 4" Tweeters...I mean I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried :eek:

Looks almost like it may work but the power steering reservoir sits in that position :confused:[/

The website mentions that on the page, maybe it can be moved?

Quote from the site:

Note: Some applications require a simple power steering bracket move. Call our Tech Line at: 630-849-7754 for details.

Kit # 8-751

WAY back in 2000, I was running 2400 watts worth of power to a pair of giant 12s and component speakers in an Oldsmobile. I ran 0awg main power to distribution blocks to the setup in the trunk. I had a factory 105amp GM alternator that was modified to put out somewhere around 200 amps and I ran a factory style battery. It did just fine.

The question is, how much power are you going to be running? With 6 12s, I surely hope you are planning to run them with 6000+ watts, otherwise you are likely underpowering them which can lead to subwoofer failure. If you plan to bang them hard anyways, don't use cheap crap and make sure the total harmonic distortion is at a low percentage especially when running at lower impedances. I had an old PPI running my subs and that was an awesome amp. Clean and LOTS of power for its day especially at 1 ohm. I was right around 150 db back in 2000. Chit's got crazy these days in car audio but I am pretty much out of the loop now with it. I still remember those days going down the road and it felt like my entire face and body was on a jackhammer. The walk hand signal at interesctions jumped all around like I was on some sort of psychedelic. LOL

I keep seeing people say 6 12's if you read the first post its actually 6 15's.

@Kstromberg 150 is nothing to sneeze at. thats pretty good score. I know mine hit pretty good never had them metered but i can tell you on the high way my speed-o jumps around like its on crack. kind made me worried at first then i got used to it :)

Google search Kove Audio Armageddon X. Those are the 12s I ran. All black kevlar woven fiber cone with push style terminals and woven leads into the spider. The excursion on them was ridiculous. I know things have gotten crazier, but like I said I'm out of the loop now. I saw a huge triple-stacked Memphis 15" that made my subs look tiny but for the day they were top of the line. I think they retailed at $600 a piece. If I got back into it I would probably be breaking windows with what's available today and I surely wouldn't be buyin crap from Best Buy! Lol. I shipped the Koves straight to me from Casablas California. Straight to the source. They're out of business now. I don't think they could keep up with the competition and I'll bet Memphis was one of them.

Members online

Back