My Drilled + Slotted Upgrade by Brake Motive

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My Drilled + Slotted Upgrade by BrakeMotive

So today I ordered the drilled and slotted brakes for my car. I will update this post as I receive and install them.

4 Rotors & Pads

Total Price (Shipped): $169.45

http://bit.ly/IADrvG

$(KGrHqN,!k0E5YNFdEmnBOfenM0wn!~~60_58.jpg

History: I have used them on my Navigator for 2 years now. My dad installed a set on his 2000 Crown Victoria, and a friend installed them on his 2000 LS. I haven't seen any problems with them in any instances... though my truck would benefit greatly from a set of steel braided hoses. The rear rubber lines are incredibly long.

good price... how are the brake pad's? any complaints/brake dust?
On my truck they're great... work even better after they've warmed up, but you're really limited by the calipers and hoses of the stock system as well. Also, they aren't racing pads and rotors. Warm is completely different from hot. I've never raced my truck, so I can't tell you how'd they perform in track driving.

When I put them on my truck the reduction in dust was so dramatic, I couldn't believe it myself at first. If I go a couple of months without washing my truck, you will start to see some collecting on the wheels.

I have the same package on my LSE. Love them, no noise, minimal dust...only noticeable after 2 weeks without a wash. I know I shouldnt wait so long to wash my baby but its been raining off and on lately.

So for the guys who have these, no problems at all? Hows the noise? Quality?

Im thinking about ordering a set for my mom's mountaineer...not really for the performance aspect lol, she only drives like 6-7k a year and doesnt really beat on the car, i was thinking mainly because of the price. What do you guys think? I dont want her having any problems at all...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390411249294?redirect=mobile

So for the guys who have these, no problems at all? Hows the noise? Quality?

Im thinking about ordering a set for my mom's mountaineer...not really for the performance aspect lol, she only drives like 6-7k a year and doesnt really beat on the car, i was thinking mainly because of the price. What do you guys think? I dont want her having any problems at all...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390411249294?redirect=mobile

Zero noise, great stopping power. I really like them.

Just as long as you all know that if you use them hard, they are going to disappoint, esp in their useable life. Cross drilling stock sized rotors leaves you with less brake rotor than you had stock. Less mass to absorb heat. If you drive average and never really have to get into the brakes hard, you'll probably be fine and those with the favorable testimonies probably fit that profile.

I'm a huge fan of cross drilled/slotted rotors, but only when they're a Big Brake Kit. Then this 'mass' thing is moot. They look great, cool better, and can take abuse over and over and over, unlike stock.

Im sure we would all love to spend over $5K for better brakes but theres no way i could justify it. For $10K more i could buy an str and get brembos plus a supercharged engine.

The rotorpros kit with 12.6" front upgrade and SS lines is more than enough for most.

Just as long as you all know that if you use them hard, they are going to disappoint, esp in their useable life. Cross drilling stock sized rotors leaves you with less brake rotor than you had stock. Less mass to absorb heat. If you drive average and never really have to get into the brakes hard, you'll probably be fine and those with the favorable testimonies probably fit that profile.

I'm a huge fan of cross drilled/slotted rotors, but only when they're a Big Brake Kit. Then this 'mass' thing is moot. They look great, cool better, and can take abuse over and over and over, unlike stock.

1. The brakes are $170 for the rotors WITH the pads... If they go bad, I can get a new set for less than the cost of one tire. I'm fine with that.

2. I have them on my 6000lb Navigator. They've been on there 2 years and survived last years record breaking DFW summer where not only did we hit 110º day after day, but we had over 70 days of 100+ temps. I think they'll be more than fine on a 3800lb LS.

And if that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. My main reason for wanting them is to have something that can move more air (BrakeMotive makes some pretty bold claims for these), and hopefully prevent warping. But if they do, see #1.

Im sure we would all love to spend over $5K for better brakes but theres no way i could justify it. For $10K more i could buy an str and get brembos plus a supercharged engine.

The rotorpros kit with 12.6" front upgrade and SS lines is more than enough for most.
Exactly... and the SS lines are on my list. :D

I like them. I don't do autocross or drive extremely aggressive so they are fine for my needs. I haven't had any rust issues or discoloration. Like elemino said they are inexpensive so buying a new set in 4 or 5 years wont kill my wallet. I too wish I could spend 4 or 5gs on a big brake kit bit it isn't necessary for my needs.

Navigator BrakeMotive Brakes

Here are the brakes from my Navigator. I just took these a few minutes ago. This is after 2 years of use (Including rush hour driving in last year's record heat). The rear brakes are still pretty shiny where there is no contact, but the front rotors are starting to rust a little. I'm no brake professional, so someone else will have to break down anything further.

One of the things I find ridiculously amazing is how clean the calipers are now. I haven't washed this truck in about 3 weeks (silver has benefits), and those calipers are still clean to the touch.

Front Driver Side Rotor:

530052_3821344493252_1266894794_33538173_1893466246_n.jpg

Rear Driver Side Rotor:

389593_3821342973214_1266894794_33538170_1183864734_n.jpg

You do have stress fractures on the front rotors. Can't see enough of the rears to tell....

I doubt the rear rotors do enough stopping for it to happen. The rear brakes need to be bigger on this truck. If we have another summer like last year, I'll replace the front rotors again. I don't think it'll get that bad... at least I'm hoping it doesn't!

But considering what they went through last year, I still think it was worth the investment.

Edit: I find it interesting the stress fractures aren't around the holes... I don't think my issue is related to being cross drilled. I may have a bad pad... hmm

Found this on another forum

"Crack propagation is normal on thermally fatigued rotors and they shouldn't be cause for concern until they grow to over 5MM in length or begin touching the inner or outer edge of the friction plates. The rotors in the OP's post look like they've reached the end of their safe useful life." - BrakeMotive

ySZbl.jpg

Keep in mind, if I was racing, I'd probably use only slotted rotors. Though a lot of you probably have. I've never driven any car over about 88 mph.

Hite, did you get their ceramic pads as well?

So Elemino, you would recommend these? I'm thinking they'll be good, for my mom's Mountaineer anyway. She's not an aggressive driver, and she doesn't drive much at all. Also it doesn't get as get as hot here, but we do get snow lol I just want them to last her at least 2 years with no problems.

Keep in mind, if I was racing, I'd probably use only slotted rotors. Though a lot of you probably have. I've never driven any car over about 88 mph.

were you trying to go back to the future :D, or was that 86? I may get these though when I need to do my brakes again

So Elemino, you would recommend these? I'm thinking they'll be good, for my mom's Mountaineer anyway. She's not an aggressive driver, and she doesn't drive much at all. Also it doesn't get as get as hot here, but we do get snow lol I just want them to last her at least 2 years with no problems.
Definitely... I'm a VERY aggressive driver! lol

Also, I'll probably just get the Raybestos ceramic pads from Pep Boys when its time to replace them.

were you trying to go back to the future :D, or was that 86? I may get these though when I need to do my brakes again
I was, but I think its because I needed a DeLorean. I don't think it works with Lincolns.

Yes I did. I can't remember the brand but RollinLS has the same pads and he likes them. I have a pic of the pad box in my 'My new LSE ' thread.

Yes I did. I can't remember the brand but RollinLS has the same pads and he likes them. I have a pic of the pad box in my 'My new LSE ' thread.
Just took a look through your thread... VERY NICE LS!

The Evolution pads are the same ones on my Navigator. Did you ever figure out which pad is the rear one? I saw that you asked the question. It appears that someone may have answer the question with a picture, but of course it was posted on Photo Bucket, the downfall of many forums.

Members online

No members online now.
Back