my opinion ( a good 1) about the rims

fastmarkviii

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I have heard alot of talk about what rims to put, first off if you want that sporty look forget the cobra rims I have found something that looks way better with some class to it, sporty yet classy just like the mk 8, look them up they are called Helo slicks

Very nice, and something different at the same time. If we didn't dare to be different we would not be driving Mark VIIIs. Boo Yah!

Not to bad looking, I think it would give a good look to the Mark8.

http://adaptivestrategies.com/HELO2005.html

HELO-SLICK.jpg

F*ck yeah im going to have my friend get them on his 98 as soon as he gets done with lpn school (about 8 more months) im trying to get him an account on this site

They're nice wheels, but I think the are a little too edgy for the design on the Mark VIII. They would probably look better on an edgier car like the CTS or 99-04 mustang.

Dominus said:
They're nice wheels, but I think the are a little too edgy for the design on the Mark VIII. They would probably look better on an edgier car like the CTS or 99-04 mustang.

THEY ARE COBRA RIMS W/ CLASS, AND HOW MANY MARK'S WANT OR HAVE COBRA RIMS

Too narrow to get too excited about IMO...A 7.5" wheel however will JUST support a 245-45-18 tire. I like 8" and wider...

Looks pretty good though...As do many with similar specs.

Brad

Dominus said:
I prefer 255/45/18 myself, to keep the OEM diameter.

The 255-45-18 is not stock height as it is 27" tall...Depending on the manufacturer they can be as tall as 27.5" tall...That is approaching sport truck height for god sakes...

Anyways...245-45-18 is stock height @ 26.6" tall and they also vary in height among manufacturers. Its a nice match-up with a 275-40-18 for the cat smasher rears which are also the same height as stock.

Cheers,

Brad

baggedtaco said:
The 255-45-18 is not stock height as it is 27" tall...Depending on the manufacturer they can be as tall as 27.5" tall...That is approaching sport truck height for god sakes...

Anyways...245-45-18 is stock height @ 26.6" tall and they also vary in height among manufacturers. Its a nice match-up with a 275-40-18 for the cat smasher rears which are also the same height as stock.

Cheers,

Brad

I dont know about that seeing as I just measured out 3 different brands with a 45 profile and they were all 25 inches tall, I dont know what kind of jew tire u measured but I did it on a kumho a toyo, and the third was like a potenza I think (just last week). And you guys do know you could put a 255 on it as well right? (on the 7.5), staggered is what is coming up next on my car probably 255's in the back than 235's in the front, good luck all!

fastmarkviii said:
I dont know about that seeing as I just measured out 3 different brands with a 45 profile and they were all 25 inches tall, I dont know what kind of jew tire u measured but I did it on a kumho a toyo, and the third was like a potenza I think (just last week). And you guys do know you could put a 255 on it as well right? (on the 7.5), staggered is what is coming up next on my car probably 255's in the back than 235's in the front, good luck all!

Actually...I am in the tire business, family owned and operated since 1969...Not some clown part timing at the local service station. Just trying to help:rolleyes:

I have seen it countless times. Manufacturers vary in width as well as height among differant tire sizes and build/model-units.

Running a 255-45-18 is not worth the trouble IMO...You STILL have to roll the rear fenders depending on the offset specs of the wheel. So if ya go to the trouble of that why not go with a 275MM tire "Along with a wheel that will support it" and be at stock height front and rear?? But hey...I don't know anything since my post count is like 9???bwaaahahaha

Cheers,

Brad

Running a 255-45-18 is not worth the trouble IMO...You STILL have to roll the rear fenders depending on the offset specs of the wheel. So if ya go to the trouble of that why not go with a 275MM tire "Along with a wheel that will support it" and be at stock height front and rear?? But hey...I don't know anything since my post count is like 9???bwaaahahaha

Cheers,

Brad

haha ok, now as far as stock height I dont personally have to worry about that because im lowered 2 1/4 inches, as far as the different rims I already have the 7.5 chrome xpressions cx7 rim, so theres not much I can do there.
So how will I know for the height than if I order online? it must only be certain brands, cause like I said I just measured them, and they were the same size (25 inches)
later

fastmarkviii said:
haha ok, now as far as stock height I dont personally have to worry about that because im lowered 2 1/4 inches, as far as the different rims I already have the 7.5 chrome xpressions cx7 rim, so theres not much I can do there.
So how will I know for the height than if I order online? it must only be certain brands, cause like I said I just measured them, and they were the same size (25 inches)
later

You should do whatever ya want....I am just fore warning ya...If ya end up getting something that is a PITA to make work you could very well regret it.

Since you have somewhat of a narrow wheel to start with and you are so low. I would say 255-40-18 rears and 235-40-18's OR 235-45-18...If you MUST go staggered...

The thing is this though...Its not really going to have much of a staggered appearance. If you were to ask my opinion, I would say just go with a 245-45-18 all the way around "Or even 255-40-18's" and enjoy the bennies of rotating your tires for max tire life and being at stock height so the speedo is spot-on. It also may end up being a compramise trying to find a match set in those sizes...I have not taken the time to look for match sets in those sizes.

Just my 2-cents worth..

Cheers,

Brad

thanx for the input, but if I have really big tires all the way wont I regret that in the rain?, I do live in fl.

fastmarkviii said:
thanx for the input, but if I have really big tires all the way wont I regret that in the rain?, I do live in fl.

In the way of Rain...I don't see a problem with 255's...Although I know where you are coming from. The car will behave much better with 255's all the way around in pretty much all conditions anyways.

I live in Washington State...We get a lil rain here as well. I ran 255-45-17's on both of my cars and never noticed a performance problem in the rain.

Just get good tires....heh

You got a PM....

Cheers,

Brad

Too small for me but that is why we all have out own taste buds, lol. good Luck. Listen to Brad

baggedtaco said:

Cheers,

Brad

My mistake. I crossed my numbers. ;)

Hey, while you're at it, can you give me your professional opinion about running 10 inch wide wheels in the rear? 18 x 10? What tires would you recommend?

chriswells78 said:
I have a set of those in my garage about to go on my LS, they are 10x hotter in person that in those pics, the chrome is just awsome.
2307827_18_full.jpg

got em from customwheel.com, 950 shipped w/lugnuts and valvestems

thats the price for the set? wow, thats a deal! post a pic up when you get them mounted

Dominus said:
Hey, while you're at it, can you give me your professional opinion about running 10 inch wide wheels in the rear? 18 x 10? What tires would you recommend?

Here is one of my customers cars...It is a custom wheel in 18X8/10 staggered. Rears are 275-40-18 and fronts are 245-45-18...All stock height.

boyd22.gif

Not a great pic but its the only one I have.

That setup would look incredible on a MarkVIII...

Brad

04SSHD said:
thats the price for the set? wow, thats a deal! post a pic up when you get them mounted

They should be mounted soon. My wife decided that it was time to buy baby room furnature with the money that I had set aside for rubber:rolleyes:

Not too much longer now though. I gotta get them on before the rugrat makes his appearance so that he gets to roll home from the hospital in an LS with sweet rims. LOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back