Need help again-Please

dmifsud

LVC Member
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my 03 was going into failsafe, took into the dealer and they told me 2 coils were bad and they were also pulling the code for the throttle body and wanted to replace that also. Since the car is not under warranty anymore and the coils were i said no to the throttle body. Well 4 days after getting it back the car is hesitating real bad but i can't get it to kick into failsafe mode. Do you think there more coils bad here? Or is it the throttle body? I can't see it being the throttle body. What does everyone think. Thanks everyone!

Usually the bad coils will throw other unrelated codes, primarily coil #4 on the back passenger side near the computer if your LS is a V8. Unfortunately you will have to wait till it throws a code, the dealer will stick to there first diagnosis until proven other wise.

So do you think it's another coil?? they replaced coils 2 & 4 the first time.

Could be another coil on the way out but not dead enough to give you a check engine light or come up on a coil tester as bad.

Could be another coil on the way out but not dead enough to give you a check engine light or come up on a coil tester as bad.

+1 experienced it myself. Thats why it is always best to just change them all at once.

+1 experienced it myself. Thats why it is always best to just change them all at once.

I agree with JWerner2 especially if you can do it youself because the Lincoln price for each coil is almost twice what you can order them for.

But since coil replacement is still covered under the Ford extended warranty you will probably do the same that I am doing. I have had to take my LS V8 in 3 times so far for coil replacement because they will only fix the ones that show up in their diagnostics. What a pain and I still have 3 that have not been replaced so I know that I will be heading back several more times.

I was doing that, too, VA until I got fed up having to wait for it to totally fail before bringing it in. Nevermind the fact that I never get a loaner and need the car. I just ordered 8 off eBay (even though 3 have been recently changed) and changed them all.

I may do the same NYC just for the piece of mind and inconvenience of being without the car. Most of the time I am on the road during the week, I've been lucky so far that they have crapped out while I was close to home. I really don't need one to go while I am on the highway out of town. I am so parinoid about it too, I constantly watching for my MPG to drop suddenly and listening for problems, almost takes the fun out of driving the car. To tick me off even further the mechanic did not replace the bottom rear bolt on both covers.

I agree with JWerner2 especially if you can do it youself because the Lincoln price for each coil is almost twice what you can order them for.

But since coil replacement is still covered under the Ford extended warranty you will probably do the same that I am doing. I have had to take my LS V8 in 3 times so far for coil replacement because they will only fix the ones that show up in their diagnostics. What a pain and I still have 3 that have not been replaced so I know that I will be heading back several more times.

Mine were covered under the 75K factory power train warranty ( 2000 ).

They told me they could only replace what was visibly damaged and I told them to use your brain and think about the situation a bit. I mean really what would they expect to be causing miss fire just after they determined what the initial cause was? After getting on them and the GM at the dealership about it they had them all covered. Just be stern with the guys but not over bearing or they wont do crap.

You think your paranoid? I look at the VC's up and down every time I open the hood for what ever reason period.

Thanks for all the help guys! Just went up to autozone and it's a P0307 Misfire. Since it's under warranty i will take it back in i guess until the replace them all. At least this time it didn't throw a throttle body code out, and the dealer was trying to get me to buy one of those. Again thanks you've all been very helpful!

I told them to use your brain and think about the situation a bit.

Here's the rest of the story. When I had the last a coil replaced the mechanic suggested replacing the plugs since I was around 60k. I thought it was a good idea so I told them to do it. Later in the day I thought about it and called the service manager and suggested replacing the remaining 3 coils since we know they will go bad sooner or later. They would not because the warrenty would not cover the ones that have not gone bad. So I said I would pay for the parts if they would just put them on while replacing the plugs. Nope, they wanted labor for the 3 coils too. Needless to say, I gave up on them and decided I would be seeing them again in a month or two.

Glad you found out it was another coil, dmifsud. Hope you have a better service manager to work with, it makes so much since to replace them all being it is such a common problem.

Fortunately mine started missing again half way home so I was able to get on 'em next day.

Oh yea forgot to tell you, I also have the K&N intake on the LS. When I first started talking about the intake with the salesperson, he said the service department warned that a mod like the intake would void the warranty on all engine work. (yea right). So for safety sake every time I have to take the car in for coil replacement I have to swap back in the stock intake. I'm getting pretty experienced at it.

I would shove a copy of the Magnuson Moss act in their face.

Thanks VA, but my service manager is a :q:q:q:q:q:q:q too. i just got home from dropping it off and he said oh yeah the guy who refused the throttle body! And he's still trying to sell me one. I said this time it didn't throw the code for the throttle body it's throwing a #7 cylinder misfire. Needless to say he's an ass! Do these get paid extra for selling people things they don't need? I'll keep taking it back until they replace all 8 because they won't replace all of mine either until they go bad. I also tried Lincoln Headquarters customer service and they told me NO too. Oh well they'll see me quite a bit! Thanks again guys!

Thats the thing. If the :q:q:q:q:q:q:qs would at least pull this new code they would get a reason.

Did you ask them to explain exactly what it is thats wrong with the TB?

You can fight it and a corporate someone I forget will have to come and check it out. Usually by the time they get there they dont wanna deal with it and just let it pass under warranty.

Sorry dmifsud . Your service manager must have taken the same "how to treat your customers poorly" training as mine.

Hi JWerner how long did it normall take them to get your car back to you?

A few days maybe like 3-4 but only cause they needed to order a few things.

I think it only took them a day to get the parts and instead of dropping work to go back to mine they complete some other cars then went back to mine.

Well guys got the car back today, only took them a day this time, not the 5 days like the first time, they replaced coils 6,7. 4 down. hopefully i can keep the car a couple of days this time!

Coooowal maaaan!

They knew the entire time what it was.

VA, JWerner and NYC thanks again!! You helped out alot! I'm thankful for this website. If you guys lived close i'd buy you guys some beers!

Members online

No members online now.
Back