New owner - a few questions

Kevin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, am a regular over on the Mark 8 section, was a regular on the LS section till I sold it.

Just picked up a 94 Signature series, 160k miles - for $1000 :cool:. This car wintered in Florida, so it's pretty much rust-free.

A few questions regarding the car though -

- Idle air control - where is it?

- EGR - where is it?

- Front end being a 94 (ugly style IMHO), what would it take to turn it into a 95-97 style front end? Presuming lights, header panel, bumper cover? Hopefully not fenders, cause then it won't happen.

Have a 'check-air-suspension' light on the dash after 10 seconds or so of running, what should I look for?

Also the cruise doesn't work - what should I look for?

Thanks fellas.

And because TITTYWOP:

DSCF1295.jpg

Wow, 40 views and not one suggestion?

Gee, thanks for all the help.

Not a prob dude.

Maybe nobody knows or didn't have the time to reply.

When I see there is a new post in the forum I read it, I saw the new post and read it but did not have any answers so I did not reply.

You should check to see if the air suspension bags are leaking, or if the compressor is bad. maybe a fuse is blown. I think the front end on those looks good. With the smaller headlights in the newer years it looks goofy; having such a large front end and small lights. like a wall which wasnt fully painted. anyway nice car, good luck with it.

Looks like a real nice one! Ive been wanting to paint mine grey on the bottom.....

repair items

When I got my 2000 TC the first thing I bought was the Ford repair manuals.
In my case it 3 books. The books give you the trouble shooting sequence.
Just my 2 cents. :L

I'm no Ford Expert but I'll give you my $.02
The EGR - It is on the BACK of the engine - aft and outboard of the elbow that the throttle body attaches to - kinda of a PITA to get to!

At about 120K my 93 started pinging under load and finally threw a check engine light - I talked to a couple of guys at work with TC's and they said to take it to the dealer and have them do a upper intake cleaning - it would take care of it.
I did a bit of research and ended up pulling the EGR valve, the TB and elbow and disconnecting the egr pipe from the exhaust - scrapped and cleaned all the carbon deposits from the EGR passages and reassembled everything - took an afternoon and about $20.00 worth of gaskets and cleaner. - fixed.

As for the AIR Suspension: first check the fuse - Underhood AFT of Battery.
Then make sure the switch in the trunk (pax side) is ON. If both OK and the rear bags are staying inflated I would bet you have a compressor problem.
I ended up replacing both bags and new solenoids from Arnott and getting a compressor from the slvage yard. System works great now but seems to keep the rear a tad too high - i think I need to adjust the sensor in the back.

I have no experience with the other itmes you asked about but.
I would recommend you check all you lights / switches. I had to replace the
brake light switch because the brake lights didn't work (under dash) and the neutral safety / back-up light switch (on transmission) for the reverse lights not working.
Only other issue I have had with the car is rebuilding every power window motor - those plastic buttons in the drive gear are BS!

I did install a MOOG Idler arm in place of the OEM unit - much better steering feel!

ToddsSS
toddsss@aol.com
Benton, AR
1993 TC

Hey Guys, am a regular over on the Mark 8 section, was a regular on the LS section till I sold it.

- EGR - where is it?

EGR Valve

Removal

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

2. Disconnect exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) tube from EGR tube connector.

NOTE:
Hold EGR connector with a wrench while disconnecting EGR tube.

CAUTION:
Use care not to damage EGR tube.

3. Lower vehicle.

4. Disconnect vacuum hoses from EGR tube and valve.

5. Remove two retaining bolts from EGR valve.

6. Remove EGR valve, gasket and tube from vehicle.

egr1.gif

egr.jpg

Installation

1. Transfer EGR tube to new EGR valve.

NOTE:
Do not tighten line nut on EGR valve at this time.

2. Position new gasket and EGR valve assembly into vehicle.

3. Install two bolts retaining EGR valve to intake manifold. Tighten to 20-30 N-m (15-22 lb-ft).

4. Raise vehicle.

5. Connect EGR tube to EGR tube connector. Tighten line nut to 35-45 N-m (26-33 lb-ft).

NOTE:
Hold EGR tube connector with a wrench while tightening line nut.

6. Lower vehicle.

7. Tighten EGR tube line nut at EGR valve to 35-45 N-m (26-33 lb-ft).

8. Connect vacuum hoses to EGR tube and valve.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00126.html

As you can see service manual is not very detailed as to exactly how to do it, and like the members have mentioned it is a bit a PIA hopefully images can help ya out a bit.

Have a 'check-air-suspension' light on the dash after 10 seconds or so of running, what should I look for?

Can you hear the compressor come on at all? If you haven't already I would turn off the air suspension to prevent further damage to the compressor. Most likely there is a leak somewhere and the compressor is working too hard to keep the air springs inflated thus throwing the cas light. Only going off assumptions but you can provide more info in order to isolate the problem

the iac valve is the round peice that has a 2 wire connecter on the upper intake a couple inches past where the rubber intake hose hooks to the intake. 2 bolts hold it on 8mm socket or wrench. take it off and take it apart (phillips screwdriver)clean the valve inside with carb cleaner. the egr is also on the intake looks kinda like a mushroom with a vacume line and or wires going to it also remove and clean carbon deposits from it. also replace the gaskets on both.if you cant figure it out go to the parts store and ask them to see each one. also get a manual for the car they are priceless for that kind of repairs

The front end you need,

--Front header panel
--Grill
--both Headlamps
--Both parking lamps
--Front bumper cover

Only issue is the 95-97 has a single chrome strip on the bumper where the older ones have 2 chrome strips but most people dont notice it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back