New Water Pump.

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I could use some help here. For the last couple of days I have been reading many search results and got some good info, but I was set on Motorcraft for my new pump. Well, I called the dealer and they want $139.00. I really don't recall other brands that people had mentioned. So is there a better place to get the Motorcraft or is there another brand you think is a quality piece?

Also, like I said, I have been reading many search results and the reason I'm replacing the pump is my cars engine temp is fine until I turn the AC on. I have checked the fan and it's working properly. I do slowly lose coolant but it takes a couple months before it becomes an issue. I'm thinking its the pump dripping out of its little hole. So, I have made sure it was full and well burped and the problem remained the same.

I am changing the oil filter gasket tomorrow because I have a small leak coming from there. But, it is very minimal. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what might be causing me this problem. As I stated earlier in the thread. It's fine until I turn on the AC, then the temp starts going up.

Sorry for the book I just wrote, but I'm planing on going to the Beach Party and don't want to be dealing with this problem then.

Thanks for you time,

Greg

Electrics are great. When a mechanical pump runs at high RPM is really ends up almost NOT cooling the engine, the impeller RPMs climb to the point where water cant get in and out fast enough and flow is dramatically reduced.

With an electric, water pump remain at an optimal RPM to keep the coolant flowing. If you play hard and keep and eye on the water temp, you will see what I mean at high RPM with a hot engine.

The electric water pump is definitely the way to go if you can afford it, you will gain 10 horsepower as well. The new BMW 335i comes with one stock.

I like the idea, how much are they? But still I can't figure out why its running hot. It never has been a problem before and its fine as long as the AC is off. I'm totally for the electric, but it still seams I would be masking the problem instead of fixing it. I would like to solve the problem at hand before upgrading to the electric. I mean who in there right mind wouldn't want to go with that pump. Thanks for the insight guys.

Is the sysem topped up? have u bled it recently? Is the cooling fan coming on when car starts to get hot? When did u last change coolant/flush system? Is the serpentine belt tight? hows the thermostat? Check some of these things if you havent already, sometimes we overlook the obvious! lol.

What are your temp. readings when the A.C. is on?? I know my temp. goes up when my A.C. is on but its not alot.

What are your temp. readings when the A.C. is on?? I know my temp. goes up when my A.C. is on but its not alot.

It starts going up, so I shut it down before it goes into the red. I have let it go until just before it hits the red, I just don't want it to completely overheat.

on the highway with the A.C. off I run at about the bottom of the A. With the A.C. on I run at the top of the A. In traffic it will run up to the M but my fan cuts on to cool it down. Are you sure your fan is working correctly?

I pretty sure, I have checked it a couple of times. Its definitely running and when I have someone hit MAX it seams to run a bit faster.

There might be some air in the system. Open up the crossover tube and add coolant/water until the overflow tank is at the max level. Also, the thermostat maybe getting old and not working correctly anymore, same with the water pump.

hey Greg That cobra (mark) water pump 5R3Z-8501-A lists at $136.70 and cost LVC $88.86. a lightining/cobra electric one from ford racing is $150.00 and lvc is $126.00. I do not know if that electric one will carry the load of the mark it is made for the supercharger.
Max

What are your temps at when on the highway with no A.C.? and what are they when your sitting in traffic?

hey Greg That cobra (mark) water pump 5R3Z-8501-A lists at $136.70 and cost LVC $88.86. a lightining/cobra electric one from ford racing is $150.00 and lvc is $126.00. I do not know if that electric one will carry the load of the mark it is made for the supercharger.
Max

Max, thank you for the information. I will give you a call Monday and get this particular situation resolved. It has a 142,000 on it, I think its pulled its weight. From what you say, the electric pump, may not be the way to go? Bottom line, tell me what I need and lets roll with it!!

Thanks aging Max, I will speak with you on Monday.

Greg

Thanks for the input all, The temp, I wont allow to boil over. It gets to hot. I can't say I know for sure what it does at idle, but I'm pretty sure there is a problem there as well. It hasn't been an issue, sense it only started right when the temperature outside was getting cooler and I dodged this bullet all winter. Now I have to bit it (the bullet).

The crossover is topped off, I've had many years of practice with that one. The thermostat, I replaced just before winter. With how its acting, I think the thermostat my be OK. I assure you I will keep it in mind though.

Thanks again everyone.:)

Like frogman said if money isn't a thing and you want that little extra horsepower go with the Meziere electric pump.

i have a questiion also dealing with the water pump......mine went out about a week ago and i have replaced it but after i was done i started it up and drove it prolly 3 miles and noticed it was running hot again i got a thermostat and im gonna replace that next but i was wondering if there could be anything else i need to check........thanks i need all the help i can get i miss my car!!!! lol

with the overheating with the ac on only i would try cleaning out your radiator and condenser, take off the fan and using your garden hose spray through the fins of the rad toward the front of the car and see what you wash out.

with the overheating with the ac on only i would try cleaning out your radiator and condenser, take off the fan and using your garden hose spray through the fins of the rad toward the front of the car and see what you wash out.

You know, I did do that a couple of times. But, there isn't a lot of room to really get after it, I think when I change out the water pump. I going to do it again, but this time pull it out of the car and give it a hard-core cleaning

Members online

Back