Opinions on a prospective new member's car

Ranchero50

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick down and dirty since I'm late for bed, looking for some opinions on this car.

12T207A_4.jpg

Test drove it this evening and it runs very well, shifts smooth and everything seems to work correctly. Only downside was a hint of front wheel bearing noise, and a slight wif of oil around the valve covers after running it. The interior was smoked in and has some seat belt wear on the seats.

I've been looking for one for a couple weeks and lurking here trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible.

http://parsonsford.net/Vehicle.aspx?v=1&vin=1LNHM87A15Y614144&p=3&k=&d=&r=&ph=9

The VIN is on the site and Ford's ETIS says it's a sport with some limited options since it was first a fleet vehicle. CARFAX says no drama as well.

Any help, tips or warnings are appreciated. It's going to replace my blown '93 stang as a DD

Thanks,
Jamie

Been there, done that, before going to look at any cars. As said above, tried to learn as quickly as possible and was asking for a couple opinions about this car.

Please feel free to add some relevant info on the one in the listing. :confused:

Thanks,
Jamie

The VIN is on the site and Ford's ETIS says it's a sport with some limited options since it was first a fleet vehicle. CARFAX says no drama as well.

Any help, tips or warnings are appreciated. It's going to replace my blown '93 stang as a DD

Thanks,
Jamie

Limited options? It looks pretty well optioned out to me! Mileage is everything. The oil smell can be nothing more than a sloppy oil change.

Yeah, welcome to the forum.

I see a way for you to make money on that LS right out of the gate !

you can sell me those wheels hahahaha

- - - - -

Strange, an 05 with a GEN I front end ???
what will they think of next. j/k

Love the color on that one !
I'd be all over it like a fat kid in a candy store.

Strange, an 05 with a GEN I front end ???
what will they think of next. j/k

Thats a gen 2 front... :shifty: The rounded inner fog holes are on gen 2's. The large rectangular ones are gen 1.

Welcome to the forum!! Looks like a solid car

I have an 01 LS sport, it's a Gen 1.
has the same front end as the 05 in the picture above.

I don't see "rounded inner fog holes" on that 05 (Gen II ???)

Thats a gen II front end. I clearly see the fogs and those are gen II headlights.

Also note the lack of side markers on the bumper.

Not all gen II's are LSE.

look at your fog lights. They are all clear and rectangular. now look at a gen 2 fog light . They are rectangular but have a "round" hole in the middle of them.

Gen 1
3225-0117L.jpg

Gen 2 (attached)

$(KGrHqZHJCoE+hGR4352BQHMkcri3Q~~60_57.jpg

also note that there is no chrome on the bumper and the grille has chrome all the way around.

not to dicourage the op but this car requires alot of maintance, i got my 04 about a year ago, have spent about 1.75k on replacing parts so far... got it with about 45k miles on it pushing about 70 now

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm not sure if I'm released to post yet or still locked by the mods. Going to call the dealer today and talk to them some more.

The car looked and felt solid, no dings or hard damage. It was used as a commuter before averaging 16k per year according ot the carfax. I average 10k per year, have a couple other toys in the garage.

The kids think it's an old mans car but I like it better than the '13 GT stang I test drove.. Performance is comparable and there's more room inside this one.

Thanks,
Jamie

if your talking about the 1st gen in the pic in your sig, then no you dont have the same front end.

for starters, there is no windshield sprayers on the hood (2nd gen), the headlights are different (2nd gen), the fog lights are different (2nd gen) look closely at the front bumper, the painted strip the would be chrome if it was a V6 is not one solid piece that goes from side to side, it is broken down in to smaller pieces (2nd gen) also as mentioned there is no side marker lights (2nd gen), instead of having the chrome just at the top of the grill, it has a chrome outline all the way around the entire grille (2nd gen), no "LS" in the fender trim, and standard 2nd gen sport wheels.

not really sure where the confusion is coming from, its not an LSE, its just an LS sport.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm not sure if I'm released to post yet or still locked by the mods. Going to call the dealer today and talk to them some more.

The car looked and felt solid, no dings or hard damage. It was used as a commuter before averaging 16k per year according ot the carfax. I average 10k per year, have a couple other toys in the garage.

The kids think it's an old mans car but I like it better than the '13 GT stang I test drove.. Performance is comparable and there's more room inside this one.

Thanks,
Jamie

So you're saying it has ~112K miles?

The front bearing replacement is almost as easy as a brake job; but I would suspect the rear. When one of my rear bearings was failing it sounded distinctly like the front. Getting the smoke smell out can be a headache, but it is doable. Just be sure to check all the nooks and crannies foe ashes; like under the console.

And that's a totally stock Gen 2 front end.

106k on the clock. It was a fleet vehicle the first 1.5 years for 9k miles. Some of the options were limited by being a fleet car and I'm still trying to figure out what each option contains on Ford's ETIS website.

look at your fog lights. They are all clear and rectangular. now look at a gen 2 fog light . They are rectangular but have a "round" hole in the middle of them.

10-4 ... I'm on the same page now, can't believe I missed that.

I was automaticly thinking of an LSE front end.

350x280px-LL-490d3b0a_DoubleFacePalm2.jpeg

My bad !

106k on the clock. It was a fleet vehicle the first 1.5 years for 9k miles. Some of the options were limited by being a fleet car and I'm still trying to figure out what each option contains on Ford's ETIS website.

That car has THX/NAV, ERPA (rear parking sensors), wood appliqué; pretty well optioned to me!

Thanks kaball

...for the pic I'll do a search to see if Gen II fog lights will fit on my Gen I. unless someone, you know, just wants to throw it out there and save me the hassle lol

To the OP, fleet vehicles are (usually) pretty well maintained but temptation and a lead foot puts a lot of them through the paces. Not necessarily a bad thing, nice color.

Blown stang = forced induction? or motor kaput?

Members online

Back