Rear differential BS

Missing Linc'

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the hub bearings, not one thing changed. Still have the howl/grinding noise and the retarded vibration, checked the driveshaft since it was removed for the TC install but everything is tight on it so Im thinking axle bearing with a years worth of abuse whilst being bad might have effed up the ring and/or pinion? What do you guys think? Also, how should I go about replacing this? Im highly considering traded a torque converter to Pektel for his rear diff but then I will still need Gen1 axles and possibly other parts. Cant find 02LSV8Sport's post/thread about his swap as he was the only one to complete it. Im also thinking of just going 4.56's/8.8 but I dont want to mess with the driveshaft. I could just do a stock rebuild. I could also just sell the car and get a damned Mustang like I should have in the first place. :mad:

When i bought mine with 50k the rear axle made a strange whine and grinding sound that was speed dependent started at 40 to 65 and eventually ended up doing it all the time, It turned out to be a worn ring and pinion gear, The dealer tried bearings and some other things to try and fix it first but eventually ended up biting the bullet to rebuild the rear axle... By the way i think they ended up paying Lincoln around 3k for the full stock rebuild by the time it was done so beware...

By the way i think they ended up paying Lincoln around 3k for the full stock rebuild by the time it was done so beware...
Jesus, they really stuck it to you with no vaseline. A full rearend rebuild should not have cost that much.

Regarding the gear swap with the 8.8, what needs to be done with the driveshaft? I thought it just needed the Gen 1 housing and axles, along with the 8.8 gears and diff.

Jesus, they really stuck it to you with no vaseline. A full rearend rebuild should not have cost that much.

Regarding the gear swap with the 8.8, what needs to be done with the driveshaft? I thought it just needed the Gen 1 housing and axles, along with the 8.8 gears and diff.

Needs a MKVIII housing, shortened DS, Gen1 axles, 28 spline 8.8 LSD and 8.8 gears.

LSD swap is Gen1 diff/axles, 8.8 28 spline LSD and stock gears.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun right? Go for a mustang. Order all the kits available for it and swap parts and you're done, easy as pie, no fun for dhit, well it will be having a beefed up ride but not the part about building it yourself and getting through the hard builds with it.

+ 1 on that.. Your car wouldn't be "special" if you didn't build it custom right? That's what makes it neat because you know no-one else has done what you have done.. Bolt-ons for a mustang (I don't think) are stupid because everyone has a mustang and yours could look the same as someone else's with the bolt-ons.. NOT CUSTOM.. :D

I didnt pay a penny of that, I drove my car for 2 days and then the dealer kept it for a month trying to do anything they could not to rebuild the damn thing, I would have bought the black ls next to mine had i known that was screwed up that bad when i got it.... And that was EVERYTHING, drive shafts, housings, gears, absolutely everything

LOL go from one maintenance pain in the ass to another. :p

Lol your telling me! Im actually thinking Foxbody or selling the LS to Carmax and dumping all that money into my Monte SS, new cam and a Procharger :D

Damn that would be nice, I havent put more than 30 miles on the damned thing since buying it 4 years ago. :eek:

Alright so there are a few choices around here for complete rear axle assemblies, one of which is a 3.58 aluminum housing that is listed under the V6 model, the rest are all 3.31 iron housing rears listed under V8. So Im getting axles and everything with this package but shouldnt the V6 rear be the same? Does anyone know? If it is aluminum vs. iron I think I'd rather have the aluminum housing, might be a bit weaker but I dont plan on trans-braking the car and coming off the line with full slicks so it shouldnt pose any real threat correct? Also if I get this rear end all I would need is the 28 spline LSD of my choice and the bearing/shim kit to complete the LSD swap correct? I still cant find the thread about the Gen2 to Gen1 swap for LSD purposes.

This happened at such a great time, I have about $700 that I was going to spend elsewhere on the car and now I have to deal with this.. Maybe Ill just get another credit card.. :rolleyes:

Well, with the trade we were lining up, I was going to trade my loaded pumpkin. You'd just need gen 1 axles.

Yea but thats gonna take awhile right? Since you still need to gather parts ect for the swap? Oh and I can get rotor to rotor with everything in between for $350+$200 for a Tlok and Ill have a bunch of spare parts.. Or I can go to the extreme as I saw that 9in stuffed under that black LS-R or whatever its called. :D

In all reality tho Im trying to have the Ls back on the road this weekend.

Honestly, I didn't even know there were 2 different ones. As far as the iron vs aluminum, anyways. Do the v6 manual LSes have the same gears? I would think so, but am not definite.

Me either, thats why Im so confused. I think Im just going to buy it anyways, I really dont think it could be different. I just need a rebuild kit for an 8.8 right? It comes with bearings ect?

Should. I didn't even need to rebuild the one I bought. It had about 20K on it was all. But the rebuild kits I have seen have come with bearings. Make sure to get the shim kit too. I have not messed with the pinion, so have no idea on how to set preload. I know you need a needle style torque wrench to do it (instead of the dial ones that click after you reach the desired torque).

Members online

No members online now.
Back