Should I take this race?

bobslydel

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to LVC but I have had my LS for about 2 years. I have a 2k LS8 with an LLSOC CAI (huge silver tube & green filter, not the kkm purple one) and a flowmaster catbak exhaust. This dude at work just bought a 2005 Nissan Titan 5.6 V8. It is one of those 4 door ones. He says he can smoke the LS no problem and wants to put 100 bucks on a race. It will probably be like a race down a .5 mile straight-away near work or so. Here are some specs I found about this truck:
Engine 5.6L V8
305 HP SAE @ 4,900 rpm
Transmission 5-spd auto w/OD
Curb Weight 5,046 lbs.
Torque 379 ft lb

I cannot find a 0-60 time on this vehicle online.

How do you guys think the LS would do against this truck? I am not one to race normally but this guy is talking too much.

Thanks for any input guys,
Bob

Have fun takin' his money... it may not be a blowout but you'll win. Throw that baby in SST...turn off the Trac control and give it a go. I'd put my money on the LS8 anyday...

Hell yeah do it Bob, I would throw in on that bet any day. That truck might catch up in the last 1/4 mile but the first 1/4 you should own him. Go for it and give us a full report.

-Scott-

Put it in SST and - GRIP IT AND RIP IT!

*Just make sure you're not sitting on any loose gravel/sand on the road* The LS will spin a lot longer than his big ass will.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I dont have sst unfortunately but I'll turn off trac control. I'll also just keep it in 4th, I heard that gets you a faster 1/4 mile. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again,
Bob

bobslydel said:
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I dont have sst unfortunately but I'll turn off trac control. I'll also just keep it in 4th, I heard that gets you a faster 1/4 mile. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again,
Bob

Start it in first and shift if manually from there. I don't have sst either and I get better jumps when I decide when the gears shift. Just don't go over the red line too much.

Oh and bobslydel..."Good luck with the lay offs" :Beer

Or did I just assume you took that name from Office Space?

BOB this is BOB...........Yeah so Peter why have you been missing so much work lately?

Office Space, I noticed that your name was that also and thought the samething but didnt feel like asking thanks FreeFaller. HAHA

Year/Make/Model/0-60mph/1/4 Mile Time

2004/Nissan/Titan 5.6SE Crew Cab/6.9/15.40

2003/Lincoln LS/V-8/6.5/14.90

You're welcome!

Hawk03 said:
Start it in first and shift if manually from there. I don't have sst either and I get better jumps when I decide when the gears shift. Just don't go over the red line too much.

I've always wanted to try this, but wont it hurt the engine/tranny?

lexdiamondz10304 said:
I've always wanted to try this, but wont it hurt the engine/tranny?

Used occasionally it won't hurt the engine or tranny, as long as you shift before redline.

It is usually better to let the tranny shift for itself in day to day driving. I once got to buy a new transmission because I liked to shift (up and down) on my own and I kept it in low gear too long and over rev'd too often. I thought it was cool sounding and it was more fun. But it cost me a lot in the long run.

Not sure on the LS, but most car mags get better and more consistent results letting the tranny shift for itself. If you really know how to manually shift the tranny then you might get a little better track time.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

honestly - my best times are leaving it in D5 and mashing the pedal hard on the floor. the set shift points are all most perfect.

the last thing you want to be doing at 80mph next to anther vechile is looking down at your shifter and being careful not to mess up.

Just let it shift itself, it knows when to shift where its at its most power so why risk screwing up the tranny.

I think it well be a close one but I believe you'll win in the end. I like the titans alot, was going to get one but decided I'd rather have a car. Let us know if you do it.

Quik LS said:
honestly - my best times are leaving it in D5 and mashing the pedal hard on the floor. the set shift points are all most perfect.

the last thing you want to be doing at 80mph next to anther vechile is looking down at your shifter and being careful not to mess up.

:I

You aren't going to do any better shifting manually than just letting it do it's thing from D5. Just make sure you keep the pedal burried hard in the carpet.

Bobsly, your LS should run a high 14 w/ cool weather. I don't have a cat-back, but the LLSOC CAI puts my '00 LS8 deep in the 15s. And if he stays with you in the 1/4 mi (he may actually jump ahead in the 1/8th, those Titans have ALOT of TQ), keep your foot in it, he won't hang above 110 guaranteed (unless he's modded too).

Race him and let us know the outcome! :steering

hey guys I was reading something about the trannys on ls will program themselves to a shift pattern if you take it up to a certain speed in the same or similar throttle pattern four or five times it will change the shift time of the gears I am not sure of the details completely it was a while back when I read this, I think it was in the FAQ'S on llsoc, but regardless that nissan has truck gears nothing like a sport sedan unless he has done mods. to it, I still would put my money on the car, so don't brake till you see god. :Beer :give

J 2 THE A said:
hey guys I was reading something about the trannys on ls will program themselves to a shift pattern if you take it up to a certain speed in the same or similar throttle pattern four or five times it will change the shift time of the gears I am not sure of the details completely it was a while back when I read this, I think it was in the FAQ'S on llsoc, but regardless that nissan has truck gears nothing like a sport sedan unless he has done mods. to it, I still would put my money on the car, so don't brake till you see god. :Beer :give

Yep the LS will learn your driving habits. Drive like a grandpa and it will shift smooth and slow as silk. Drive it like the devil and shifts will be quick and firm.

Guess how I drive it? :dancefool

FreeFaller said:
So that CAI from LLSOC helps out pretty well huh Johnny? Do you have to be an LLSOC member to get that?

Yeah, I estimated that it added ~15HP to my car, comparable to a cat-back but less $$. The one I have (two pieces) is no longer made, the single-piece (KKM?) intake has replaced it. I'm not sure if you have to be a LLSOC member or not, I thought they were being offered on ebay. Quik / Kelleyo, you know?

If you're going to race, do it quick. This guy is cocky and euphoric right now because his truck is brand new. The longer you wait, the more that gives him time to back out. Do it like most here have said, in D5. Be careful. Tell us how you do. :Beer

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Yeah, I estimated that it added ~15HP to my car, comparable to a cat-back but less $$. The one I have (two pieces) is no longer made, the single-piece (KKM?) intake has replaced it. I'm not sure if you have to be a LLSOC member or not, I thought they were being offered on ebay. Quik / Kelleyo, you know?

The 2 and 1 piece tubes apply only to the pre 2003 models. The KKM for 03 and up connects to the existing tube...

Members online

No members online now.
Back