Sway bar bushings

02V8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Read a lot of posts but couldnt find the sway bar diameter or part numbers for aftermarket bushings.

I measured the bar on my 04 and it was 1 1/8" in diameter. Can anyone who took the old bushings out verify the size of the diameter and the base(flat part)

Read a lot of posts but couldnt find the sway bar diameter or part numbers for aftermarket bushings.

I measured the bar on my 04 and it was 1 1/8" in diameter. Can anyone who took the old bushings out verify the size of the diameter and the base(flat part)

You have the new, redesigned stabilizer bar. The one that has the bushings molded to the bar.

I plan on cutting them off and putting new polyurethane ones on. I just need a diameter and length on them.

Measured the sway bar today with a caliper tool and it came out to be 1.25" for the bar thickness, so as a FYI here is the number most of you have been looking for. Im replacing the bushings this Saturday so Ill let people know the part numbers of bushings I put in.

Measured the sway bar today with a caliper tool and it came out to be 1.25" for the bar thickness, so as a FYI here is the number most of you have been looking for. Im replacing the bushings this Saturday so Ill let people know the part numbers of bushings I put in.
Thanks for the info, I was considering poly bushings on mine as well, even thought I don't really NEED them yet. They are nice to have.
I do wonder though, if the non-sport models had slightly smaller sway bars? Or were they all the same regardless of the trim level?

I do wonder though, if the non-sport models had slightly smaller sway bars? Or were they all the same regardless of the trim level?

Ford does have a standard and non-standard bar listed so they are different. Standard is non-sport. Non-Standard is sport.

Part number?

Just curious if you were able to get your bushings replaced?

If so, do you have a p/n for the ones you used? Or did you use the stock ones?

(Also, do you have a sport or non-sport?)

I have a 00 non-sport and my bushings are bad (knocking noise over every bump), so i am looking to replace them.

Thanks in advance!

Just curious if you were able to get your bushings replaced?

If so, do you have a p/n for the ones you used? Or did you use the stock ones?

(Also, do you have a sport or non-sport?)

I have a 00 non-sport and my bushings are bad (knocking noise over every bump), so i am looking to replace them.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 04 Sport, just bought the buhings today and will go in this Saturday. Ill post part numbers after then on which ones work so I dont mislead people. I am using the polyurethane Energy Suspension bushings, why pay more for stock when they crapped out to begin with? These poly buhings are $20 a pair.

I'm interested in the outcome... keep us posted! Wouldn't mind putting poly on my 03 sport

Oh, almost forgot... are you don't just the front bar? Or are you going to do the rear as well?

Does anyone know if Energy makes control arm bushings of various sizes... I'm just mildly curious if there's a possibility of putting in poly bushings for the control arms. Would require a sizeable press; likely best done at a machine shop... but it's a thought.

ok i have the same knocking noise now and im curious one day i hit a hard bump and now the front passenger side i can hear a creeking noise when im stopped and i turn the wheel or i release the brakes i hear it but once i start driving it goes away ...can this be the sway bar and bushings or do i have a more serious problem ....closest thing i can say it sounds like is stepping on old wood

ok i have the same knocking noise now and im curious one day i hit a hard bump and now the front passenger side i can hear a creeking noise when im stopped and i turn the wheel or i release the brakes i hear it but once i start driving it goes away ...can this be the sway bar and bushings or do i have a more serious problem ....closest thing i can say it sounds like is stepping on old wood

probably the bushings, they dry out and rot from the engine heat.

thanks alot ..yea i noticed the ls runs hotter than all my other cars y is that

I am trying one of these 2 part numbers from Energy Suspension

9.5164 1-1/8
or
9.5165 1-1/4

I will let you know which one works best.

ok i have the same knocking noise now and im curious one day i hit a hard bump and now the front passenger side i can hear a creeking noise when im stopped and i turn the wheel or i release the brakes i hear it but once i start driving it goes away
The sway bar bushings wont make any noise when the wheel is turned. That's probably either a tie rod end or ball joint.

ok so is the ball joint a easy do it urself or do i take it to the shop?

ball joint replacement

ok so is the ball joint a easy do it urself or do i take it to the shop?

I'm expecting my steering knuckles to come in this Wednesday. The ball joints are engineered into them. You can't just buy the ball joints by themselves; you have to get the entire knuckle. They run roughly $220 each at FiveStarFord (speak with Max). It's something that you can check and change yourself with just the basic tools (wrenches, sockets, ratchets). To check for a bad ball joint, jack the problematic corner till the tire is a few inches off the ground. Then take the tire tool, or a 2x4, or whatever will not break and put it underneath the tire. Use your tool as a lever to lift the wheel up and down. If you hear any clanking-- your ball joint has been "owned" as they say. In checking mine, I took the entire knuckle off the car. You could literally grab the end of the ball joint and move it in and out about a quarter of an inch-- with ease. Accident waiting to happen. Good luck.

This project is getting pushed off. I have the molded on bushings which have a metal sleeve holding them to the bar and the bar will need to be removed completely to air gring these sleeves off. Didnt realize it would be that difficult to get it.

Next couple of weeks, Ill try to find time.

Sorry guys.

ok I got around to the bushings today. Took 5 hours, with all the stuff in the way. I was able to cut off the original molded bushings with a 4" metal cutting wheel attached to my grinder.

I used the Energy Suspension 1 1/8 bushings because the 1 1/4 were slightly too large and let the swaybar slide back and forth even with the bushing brackets being tightened all the way. Part number 9.5164 1-1/8

Procedure:
1. Jacked up both front wheels in air
2. Removed both front Wheels
3. Let both control arms down by loosening the top A-arm bolts and removing the lower shock bolt
4. Loosened sway bar end links
5. Removed sway bar bolts holding bar to chassis
6. slid sway bar out a bit on the drivers side and started to grind off the old bushing. Once first cut was made, I rotated the bushing with a large screwdriver so I can cut the bushing again on the opposite side so it will just come off.
7. Next I slid the sway bar over to the passanger side and did the same as the driver side by cutting the old bushing in 2 places so it would seperate from the bar.
8. Installed the new bushings and reversed the process to put the whole car back together.

Pics below:
1. Grinder I used
2. Stock bushing loosened up
3. Comparing stock bushing to new poly bushing
4. 1st cut made to stock bushing to get it off of the bar.
5. Stock bushing removed from bar
6. Stock bushing on ground
7. New drivers side Poly Bushing
8. New passenger side Poly bushing

After all that work, the front end is dead silent again. No more noise at ALL!!!! WOOOOHHHOOOOO!!! Definitely worth the $20 and labor.

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1213.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

DSCN1217.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1219.JPG

DSCN1220.JPG

If anyone does attempt to do this, I would also try to find a 1 3/16" (30mm) bushing.

The 1 1/8" is slightly small and the 1 1/4' is definitely too big. This size should be just right. I just looked on the http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/swaybbct.html webpage and noticed they do sell a size in between when the idiot at the store said they dont.

I just ordered this size and will try it next weekend to see if its a better fit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...K:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=7967220877&rd=1&rd=1

Those are greasable too I see. Thats very helpful. What kind of grease do you use on them though? Do they sell a certain kind that is safe for poly bushings?

Members online

No members online now.
Back