Sway bar bushings

I bought the black ones for my '03 sport (not installed yet). They do still have the grease fittings.

I will be having the bushings replaced shortly. From reading this thread it sounds like like the correct diameter bushing caused the sway bar to bang the control arm. Mine were measured and found to be 28.5/ 1.25". Do I order the correct size or next larger? T.I.A. for any help.

Correct size or the nearest. Too big and it'll make noise. Too small and it'll bind.

gonna tackle the 2003-2006 Sway bar upgrade in my 2000 Lincoln LS today. Hopefully I can keep it in the 2.5-3 hr range

gonna tackle the 2003-2006 Sway bar upgrade in my 2000 Lincoln LS today. Hopefully I can keep it in the 2.5-3 hr range

Let us know how it turns out. My Energy Suspension bushing are clunking after 1.5 years of being on the car. I'd rather not have to keep replacing them and upgrade to the new bar/bushings.

To be honest, at least on the V6, replacing the whole sway bar with the upgraded gen2 (molded bushings) wasn't too much more time-consuming than installing the ES bushings.

a bit pricier, but not too terribly difficult a job.

I just got the parts to do my daughter's car. The cost for the whole bar, including bushings was just slightly over $200. I got a pair of mounts for $10 and change. Why ever would you buy a bar you don't need?

KS

Hi Hawk03
Any idea why they failed so soon? I don't think I've read anything about the E.S. bushing failing in service. I'm getting this done soon and don't want to pay for it to be done in another 18 months. That just sucks.

Damn, I wish I saw this thread sooner. I just had mine replaced but would have loved going the poly route.

Oh well the next time!

Well Finished the job last night not bad at at all. Had to remove the upper intake tube along with that the 1 lower control arm on the passenger side and the DCCV then remove the bolts for the under carriage on the passenger side and back them out about 1/2 inch on the drivers side and it pretty much slid right out (obviously after removing end links and bushings) It took me 4hrs total, but I also replaced the lateral bars and rear sway bar endlinks.

P.S. I also already had the sway bar bushings replaced before and I think it was much easier to remove the bar with them off.

Figured might as well do everything since it needs an alignment after the H&R lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. . Tomorrow I will take it for a drive and see if I notice a diffference!!

Hi Hawk03
Any idea why they failed so soon? I don't think I've read anything about the E.S. bushing failing in service. I'm getting this done soon and don't want to pay for it to be done in another 18 months. That just sucks.

The same thing that hits the factory ones, heat and time. I know I'm not the first person to have to replace them because they wore out. I couldn't find the threads but others have mentioned it happening before. I didn't lube mine which could have been a problem or if I have I would have been delaying them from failing again. I'm not sure which ones are better to get the black or red bushing, they have made different.

Actually bought a used one and installed ES black bushings. The ones on it looked good but figured i didnt want to cut them off down the road. Its just eaier doing it when it was out.

The same thing that hits the factory ones, heat and time. I know I'm not the first person to have to replace them because they wore out. I couldn't find the threads but others have mentioned it happening before. I didn't lube mine which could have been a problem or if I have I would have been delaying them from failing again. I'm not sure which ones are better to get the black or red bushing, they have made different.

After working on the suspension, both of my lower ball joints were bad which I think helped the bushing to go bad as well, there was a lot of movement. I replaced both ball joints and I installed new ES greaseable black bushings. Clunking and vibrations are gone.

I think my bushings are shot as well..at 97k miles. (2002 V8 LSE)

I'm not truly interested in poly, and would prefer the OEM rubber. Is it easier to order then entire swaybar with the bushings installed, and then do the install?

Funny how Ive had my 2002 LSE long enough and with enough miles (154k) to be replacing the same things...again. :lol:

Replaced my OEM bushings with ES around 97k. Started clunking again a few months ago...I made a post but I think it was around 145k miles or so. replaced them again with black ES bushings but would probaby go with rubber if I had to do it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-LS-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b5b9ecce&vxp=mtr

Here's to you!!

I just want to say that today I tackled replacing my sway bar bushings on my 02 LS8 Sport. I agree with most of the people's comments, it was a pain. However following the step by step outlined here I was able to work through it.

Thanks

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the top bolt for the DCCV bracket. I have been on my back for 2 hours trying to figure out how to get that bugger out.

Thanks
Redline36

Members online

No members online now.
Back