Temputure Issue.

DkAir_SS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Over the past week I have gotten a few High Temp readings. The temp would shoot straight up to the top and reduced engine power would display on the message center. I would pull over and turn off the car and start it right back up and the temp guage would show normal temp that it runs at and all would be fine. I dont think the engine is overheating at all and wonder if its an electrical problem. I have installed a new overflow cap a few days ago so that is not the problem. Any suggestions? Temputure sensor starting to go out? Where is the temp sensor located?

Thanks
2000 ls v8 sport
60000 miles

sounds like it is going into fail safe mode. I will search around and see what I can come up with. It hasnt happened to me but I know a few folks have posted on it and I do not recall what went down.

Thanks, i did read that post the 1st time it happend and thats why I replaced the cap. I did not and do not get a check engine light tho. When it says it has gone into reduced power mode I dont think it really does. The car seems to have the same amount of power. It will go 3 or 4 days before it happens. As soon as I turn off the car an restart it the temp is at normal. In the other post he said he opened some valve which I did not o. I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks, as it does it very little it would be hard for a dealer to locate the problem. I may have to wait till it does it more often.

DkAir_SS said:
Over the past week I have gotten a few High Temp readings. The temp would shoot straight up to the top and reduced engine power would display on the message center. I would pull over and turn off the car and start it right back up and the temp guage would show normal temp that it runs at and all would be fine. I dont think the engine is overheating at all and wonder if its an electrical problem. I have installed a new overflow cap a few days ago so that is not the problem. Any suggestions? Temputure sensor starting to go out? Where is the temp sensor located?

Thanks
2000 ls v8 sport
60000 miles
I had this same problem I believe. I was letting my car warm-up after work once (temp. was about 35 degrees outside) and then got stuck doing a favor for someone else and let my car idle for about 30 minutes. Temp. guage was to the red and said "engine power reduced." I turned the car off and bled the pressure from the overflow and started it up and it was fine until TODAY. I was driving in the city and noticed my temp guague start to creep on me again. As before, I bled the air out of the overflow and didn't have a problem with it. I've put 1500 miles on the car in the month i've owned it and this has only happened twice. What is going on? My fan DOES work......the fan fluid res. IS FULL, the check engine light is NOT on, and the recommended fluid level and temp for coolant IS OK.

there is a recall 02e18 for failed thermostat. You should call the ford customer service to see if your car is eligible. It says for LS' built in wixom between march 99 and june 99

1-800-392-3673

press 6 for Lincoln vehicles

once you've done that, press 2 for other info

you'll have to enter your 10 digit phone#

Then press 2 for all other info.

then hold tight & someone will be on the line shortly.

DkAir_SS said:
let us know what they find plz.
OK well it looks like they spent all monday just fixing the POS backseat recall latch thing that i didn't care about. So today i get a call in the morning saying the car isn't done we will call you later on at 6:00. 6 comes around and they tell my mom who was home that i have a stuck thermostat. They said they will order it and it will be in tomorrow. They said they hope that after fixing that the car should fix itsself... I swear i will be pissed if i need to take it back and pay another $50 deductable for them to fix something else for the same problem. I will keep everyone updated on how this works out.

whatsupadrian said:
OK well it looks like they spent all monday just fixing the POS backseat recall latch thing that i didn't care about. So today i get a call in the morning saying the car isn't done we will call you later on at 6:00. 6 comes around and they tell my mom who was home that i have a stuck thermostat. They said they will order it and it will be in tomorrow. They said they hope that after fixing that the car should fix itsself... I swear i will be pissed if i need to take it back and pay another $50 deductable for them to fix something else for the same problem. I will keep everyone updated on how this works out.

Well they still have my car after the thermostat replacement they ran my car for a bit and it happened to them again. So they are trying to see and check different things. If i tell them about the cap can they test the cap to see if its holding the right pressure?

found a tsb for the overheating consern for 2001 ls v6/v8 .states car could have a cel on with code p1285 and/or p1299. there is a updated hyd. fan motor.part# XW4Z-8K621-AA. tsb # 01-21-11. hope this helps.

Last edited:
l-m tech said:
found a tsb for the overheating consern for 2001 ls v6/v8 .states car could have a cel on with code p1285 and/or p1299. there is a updated hyd. fan motor.part# XW4Z-8K621-AA. tsb # 01-21-11. hope this helps.

must not be my problem i am not getting a CEL Also my fan is fine. The dealor is keeping my car another day, they are replacing my whole resivior assembly. I will just let them keep replacing crap. The dealor i bought my car from is paying for everything because they never submitted my warranty information so i complained and i will let them fix everything. Also i am enjoying my rental GTO. I bought my car from a pontiac dealor :)

hell yea . have heard of the reservoir plugging up, also heard and seen the pumps that run the fan go bad. glad the dealer is stepping up and taking care of you . have seen a lot of bad things happen when the sales department screw up and not lile the warranty paperwork. stand on them. they screwed up . hope every thing gets fixed.

whatsupadrian said:
Also i am enjoying my rental GTO. I bought my car from a pontiac dealor :)

How do you like the GTO? I know it is off topic, but at least I am keeping the thread easy to find. :)

lsbit said:
How do you like the GTO? I know it is off topic, but at least I am keeping the thread easy to find. :)

I have drivin a manual twice in my life the GTO being the second lol. But its really fun car but compaired to the LS its tiny,

Anyways got my car back last night and the replacing the resivior fix the problem. My case was so sevior that every time you cold started the car you would get the overheat within 5 mins so the dealor was able to experience the problem. So it could be the cap or it could be the tank itsself but its narrowed down to that... Goodluck everyone

whatsupadrian said:
So it could be the cap or it could be the tank itsself but its narrowed down to that... Goodluck everyone

Wow...another funky problem to add to the list. Glad you got it fixed!

I am having the exact same problem. It started a few weeks ago and has been getting more frequent. The temp only stays high for about 2 minutes, then goes back to normal and the "Reducing Engine Power" light goes off. It's not under warranty anymore. Sounds like I should order an overflow cap first??? Would taking it to autozone even be worth my time?

I've replaced the cap which didnt solve the problem. It has only happened once since I replaced the cap. It happens so very offten so its hard to trace.

a cap first, if not there is a sensor inside the resivior that i think might go bad. The dealor replaced my whole assembly so i have no idea what precisely was the problem.

BrandonFlees said:
The weird part is that it only lasts a minute or two. Seems like something is sticking, perhaps the thermostat.

Well actually the dealor replaced my thermostat first... They said it was sticking, but when the problem persisted they moved on to the resivior.

Aftermarket warranty is in effect so they didn't really care what the cost to fix things were so they just replaced the whole assembly instead of indicidual parts. Because of that aftermarket insurance fluke i ended up paying 50 deductable and they replaced brakes all around and turned rotors and rotated tires.

same song

i had the same problem it turned out that someone had put coolant in my fan rezevoir that holds transmission fluid the fan would sieze up and cause an overheat it blew my coolant rezevoir before i figured it out that my fan rezevoir needed to be flushed

Members online

No members online now.
Back