Trans question... Slippage in 3rd

PimpMyTint

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 Mark VIII, 93,500 miles. Today on my way home, after getting on the freeway, at about 60Mph, my RPM's went way up, as my speed went way down. I nursed it home in 2nd gear. I had the trans fluid flushed yesterday at a Pennzoil place near my home. Is this a problem with the oil they put in, or is my trans bad? :confused:

Anyone have a trans??? Cheap??? :(

I doubt you need a trans.

First thing I assume you did was to check the fluid level, right?

Next, have you replaced the MLPS? Its the manual lever position sensor, also know as a neutral safety switch I believe. If not, replace it. A search will bring up directions! Its a common weak point.

Fluid level is full. Perfect. And BRAND NEW. Bright red, as it should be. I do not believe it's the neutral safety switch... I am having no other problems that would indicate it would be that. Am I missing something? It shifts fine from 1st to 2nd. At about 35mph, the shift into 3rd, ends up being like slipping into neutral. Help plz!:(

I tried a search for the MLPS, no dice. Can someone plz send a few links? This sounds like something worth trying before replacing the trans.

Are you sure? I found a ton.... you probably search the site via Google, try the forum search section under "search this forum".

the mlps is very sensitive to any changes, and it sounds like your problem is related to it-I'm not sure I understand it, though, did you have the fluid change prior to this problem, or did you have it done afterward? And, did they put in mercon 5? Was the torque converter drained, and pan dropped, filter changed? I'd ask a lot of questions if the work was done before these problems.
changing the mlps is not hard to do, you just need to be accurate in lining it up. hope it's not a fatal problem.

The fluid was changed PRIOR to these problems. I do not know that they used Mercon V. I sure hope so, I would assume they would use the correct fluid! If they did not, do I have an issue to confront them with???

They used the machine to evacuate the fluid. I was told that this method would clear all the fluid from the torque convertor as well. The pan was NOT dropped, and the filter was NOT replaced.

I just let it cool down for a few hours, and took it for a spin again. Same problem. Shifts fine from 1st to 2nd. As the trans tries to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it is almost as if there is no clutch engagement. At 35mph, as the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd, I stepped on the gas, and sent the R's to about 4500, and the fukker took off like a bat outta hell, in 3rd. But as I eased off the accellerator, the trans again slipped into it's ghostly neutral (3rd).

When I turn the OD off, it stays in 2nd gear, there is no attempt by the trans to engage 3rd. Weird??? :confused:

Where is the MLPS located? Maybe I can TRY to adjust it, or replace it. I was told by a friend who is an AVID Mark VIII owner, that it was 99% NOT the MLPS, and that I had a bad trans.

Thanks for all the help so far guys... I hope to get her back on the e-way soon!:)

i used to work for a jiffy lube, no pans ever got dropped, well in my opinion thats rediculous to even change the fliud if you are going to leave a contaminated filer in there. the pan should be dropped, the magnet should be cleaned of all metal grit and sludge, the filter needs to be changed and the convertor has a drain plug in it, so why not do it right. you wouldnt change your oil and leave a 10 year old filter on the engine right?

i used to work for a jiffy lube, no pans ever got dropped, well in my opinion thats rediculous to even change the fliud if you are going to leave a contaminated filer in there. the pan should be dropped, the magnet should be cleaned of all metal grit and sludge, the filter needs to be changed and the convertor has a drain plug in it, so why not do it right. you wouldnt change your oil and leave a 10 year old filter on the engine right?

I agree 110%, but I didn't want to "question their authority". I guess I should have, maybe I wouldn't be in this position now...

i'm just voicing my opinion, i'm not telling how to take care of your car, but after working in one of these speedy joints, i wouldnt take an enemy's car their for service. at jiffy lube, that machine was called a t-tech, it had dual windows in it, one to see new fluid, and one to see what comes out of trans, sure it works, but it defeats the purpose, if it could magically change the filter too maybe i would change my opinion, but i didnt work their long, because i couldnt believe how customers get totally porked with no vaseline.

The T tech is only good for evacuting the trans fluid. when I worked at Jiffy-Screw we evacuated the fuild drop the pan change filter and load new fresh fluid.

PimpMyTint, have you tried Lucas in the tranny yet? that will tell you if you have bad clutches.

I'm personally very weary of additives... that is, ones that don't already come in the fluid

I force flush my own transmission, I hook up a hose to the outlet side of the cooler. Start the car and let the tranny pump out the old fluid till it starts to sputter. Then I shut off the engine top off the tranny and do it again. I do it about four times and I get clean fluid through out the tranny system (does a gallon at a time). after that I drop the pan and change the fillter and clean the pan and magnet.

sounds like your prob is the MLPS I think its 40 bucks from maxx or any one from a 93-96 t-bird, mark viii, or cougar will work.

So pretty much you had it changed one day and the next day it started screwin up? I would go back to that place and raise some hell. I like to be a cheap bastard when I can, but for important changes like trans filter and fluid I spend the 160 at the lincoln dealership.

When I had mine changed at 60,000 it developed a studder the next day, I took it back and lincoln flushed it again then test drove it for me. They concluded it was a misfire, ran the code for me then offered to check the coils and plugs for me. 160 might seem like alot, but if lincoln screws it up, lincoln will fix it.

Pimp, I am willing to bet they did not use Mercon V as it costs alot more than the stuff they buy in bulk as it is a true synthetic tranny oil. If you go back to them I would guess they would suck it out again and refill with the correct, but up charge you the difference for the premium oil.
Your call, but you really should change the filter, and while at it drain the torque convertor while at it. It takes about 14 qts for the complete refill, and at $5.00 per quart you can see why they don't do it normaly. Drive it easy for a few miles to get all the air bubbles etc out of the lines and passages then recheck fill level. Also get a good filter as well. It should come with a new rubber reusable gasket, if they give you a kit that doesn't have one then you should get from some one that has. I got all mine from Advance, same with the fluid. Read up on the JMOD if you are energetic. it is a very worth while mod, but maybe should wait for warmer weather.

Sounds like you are having the same problems as i.My trans feels like it is slipping and shooting the rpm's to 4500-5000 with the car not pulling and this is in second and third gear or when down shifting.I also feel like it does not have a strong pull from 1000 to 2000 rpm.Since this is my weak point and i normally just replace the transmission,I was also wondering to if your car also has valve body buzz.I have a 95 mark and i can feel the valve body buzz now threw the shifter and was wondering if this had anything to do with it.

Pimp, I am willing to bet they did not use Mercon V as it costs alot more than the stuff they buy in bulk as it is a true synthetic tranny oil. If you go back to them I would guess they would suck it out again and refill with the correct, but up charge you the difference for the premium oil.
Your call, but you really should change the filter, and while at it drain the torque convertor while at it. It takes about 14 qts for the complete refill, and at $5.00 per quart you can see why they don't do it normaly. Drive it easy for a few miles to get all the air bubbles etc out of the lines and passages then recheck fill level. Also get a good filter as well. It should come with a new rubber reusable gasket, if they give you a kit that doesn't have one then you should get from some one that has. I got all mine from Advance, same with the fluid. Read up on the JMOD if you are energetic. it is a very worth while mod, but maybe should wait for warmer weather.

merc III or V shouldnt make that kind of diffrince, I run III with no problem's V is just a better oil like wal-mart brand VS amsoil

merc III or V shouldnt make that kind of diffrince, I run III with no problem's V is just a better oil like wal-mart brand VS amsoil

I have to disagree and this is why. First there was a TSB from Ford to switch to Mercon V. Why? Apparently III was breaking down the friction material in the TC. What happens? The TC will then slip and burn up. The switch to Mercon V can often "save" one of these transmissions.

I have 120k on my trans & I do not use Mercon V, I use Mercon III with no issues at all. The only difference is that the Mercon V holds up better at higher temps. If you maintain your trans by changing the filter & fluid when it should be done then you won't have a shudder issue. I'm sure the Merc V is better as it's synthetic but why change if the Merc III works just fine with proper maintenance? Ford also has a TSB for 5w20 motor oil, I also use the factory recomended 5w30 with no issues at all.

I would NEVER have a higher trans flushed if the fluid if dirty/burnt as it can put it into shock. It's better to drop the pan, replace the filter & replace what came out of the pan. Do this a few times over a year & you won't shock it.

I would take the car back to the shop & tell them it happened right after you left.

Members online

No members online now.
Back