Wanting to buy custom subwoofer enclosure

Never could never do a large box with multiple subs. I added enough weight with the 20 inch wheels. Hmmm...I guess to each his own.

I remember seeing a thread a while back with your setup, it looks very well built for sure.. mine is also 3.9 cuff tuned to 36hz.. I'm really no carpenter or anything, its my first ported box so I was really just messing around and thought I would try it.. is your box ported? Looks like the ports shoot out the top of the back of the seat. Do you have plans to built that still?

The plans are sort of here about half way in this thread

[URL="http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=54583&highlight=custom+sub+box"][URL="http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=54583&highlight=custom+sub+box"][url]http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=54583&highlight=custom+sub+box[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Basically to get this kind of fit and clearance you have to remove the factory speakers then make it piece after piece screwed with drywall screws out of MDF checking fit after every piece starting with the base going up the front then around the trunk springs across the top then the face with the sub holes.
The smaller side pieces that seal it up are made using cardbord patterns after the other pieces have been screwed together and some bondo was used.
I used a hand grinder to make the angled edges for the sloping instead of a table saw.
MDF grinds very easy.
The subs vent into the car through the 6x9 factory holes and I also used some tuned ports for that instead of the slots in the picture on the advice of some members which is written about near the end of the thread.

DSC_0031.JPG

sound system / porting question

hello fellas......new to this forum.....just wondering if anyone has removed the 6x9's in order for the bass to enter the car and how effective it really is versus the downside of losing the 6x9's......???????
also is enough sound coming out the rest of the speakers to makeup for it??? what are you guys running??

i'm starting a new build in my LS from factory stock and just want to see other peoples experiences .....

Ho many cu/ft is that.

My 3.9 cu/ft box is built piece by piece to efficiently use all the space available as tightly as possible while taking up very little of the useable trunk space and allows access to the battery and tire well without having to remove it.
I'm running 2 12s but it can hold 2 15s too.

That still takes up ALOT of space. Not being able to fold the rear seats down would kill me.. I travel all over the country in my car lol.

Here's what I did. Amp is hidden in the spare tire well.

IMG_5354_zpse4dcbff9.jpg

Battery and Spare access is still available

IMG_5353_zpse454d6b3.jpg

Doesn't get any closer than that..

IMG_5337_zps2a5fa8b6.jpg

hello fellas......new to this forum.....just wondering if anyone has removed the 6x9's in order for the bass to enter the car and how effective it really is versus the downside of losing the 6x9's......???????
also is enough sound coming out the rest of the speakers to makeup for it??? what are you guys running??

i'm starting a new build in my LS from factory stock and just want to see other peoples experiences .....

I just removed my factory 6x9's today.. While it doesn't make as much difference as flipping one of the rear seats down, there WAS a noticeable difference.. Running the factory 6x9 subs is pointless if you are running something else, plus, decks only have 1 sub output, so you'd have to be Y-ing or something..

I just added a great system last month if you have any questions.

I built the fiberglass box, which the 10W6 hits harder than the 12" alpine v12 that I'd thrown in there temporarily, the amp is hidden under the spare tire well.

Then I added two sets of Focal Polyglass Components. The front tweets are mounted in the front pillars by the windows and the rear tweets are mounted in the rear pillars above the seat belt slit.. Makes a great soundstage. Running speaker wires thru all of the doorjams was a heinous bitch. My hands are still cut up from it, but totally worth it in the end, unless you just want to run coaxials, but the highs will be off.

Depends how much pressure you have trying to vent from the trunk. Don't want to turn the 6x9's inside out lol

i will say that having any real subs will play deeper fuller bass than the OEM's

having good subs that move a lot of air can cause the OEM's subs to over travel and make a loud clicking sound from the OEM subs bottoming out.

by removing the OEM subs, you can fit a taller box in the trunk for the real subs, a taller box allows for a thinner box, and a thinner box allows you to have more useable space in the trunk for every thing else.

I can see no benefit in leaving the OEM subs in place when you have a real subwoofer, only a long list of drawbacks.

I'd go on record to say I wouldn't consider 6"x9" as 'subs' in the conventional sense, better use of that space would be a vent porting into the cabin

I'd go on record to say I wouldn't consider 6"x9" as 'subs' in the conventional sense, better use of that space would be a vent porting into the cabin

If you going to have 6x9s, then you really cant beat how chrysler rolls, four 6x9" speakers, three 3.5" speakers, and then an 8" sub thrown in for good measure.

but i totally agree, i would much rather have on 10" or 12 sub as opposed to a pair of 6x9's as my OEM option.

That still takes up ALOT of space. Not being able to fold the rear seats down would kill me.. I travel all over the country in my car lol.

Here's what I did. Amp is hidden in the spare tire well.

IMG_5354_zpse4dcbff9.jpg

Battery and Spare access is still available

IMG_5353_zpse454d6b3.jpg

Doesn't get any closer than that..

IMG_5337_zps2a5fa8b6.jpg

What would you charge to make one of those custom boxes and ship it it to topeka ks?:D

What would you charge to make one of those custom boxes and ship it it to topeka ks?:D

I had about 20 hours and $200 in supplies in the damn thing alone..

My roommate just bought a JL stealthbox for his Silverado SS that has the same sub as I do, and it cost him the same as mine cost me, minus two days of headaches and itching!

It sucks JL doesn't make a box for us, but I am so completely happy with the way mine sounds and looks.

so what if you need to do rear suspension (struts/springs) work? Is it easily removable?

sorry if its a noob question, dont know much about these things. I've been happy so far with my THX system lol

so what if you need to do rear suspension (struts/springs) work? Is it easily removable?

sorry if its a noob question, dont know much about these things. I've been happy so far with my THX system lol

It doesn't interfere with with getting to the struts at all.. In order to remove it, you have to remove the woofer to gain access to the two screws drilled thru the bottom of it that go into the trunk floor/rear subframe.. I could have it out in 3 minutes if I needed, yet its mounted solid :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back