What's everyone's MPG?

Dutch said:
I get 20 mpg in my regular commuting cycle, which is about evenly mixed highway/sitting in traffic/city streets.

Cruising on the highway, I get about 23 mpg if I go 85; if I granny it and go 75 (the speed limit here) I can get 25 mpg.

This is all based on actual fuel consumption, not the overly optimistic computer.

BTW this fuel economy distrubs me because my Chrysler weighs probably 500 pounds more than the Lincoln, plus it has a carbureted big block and it can get 23 on the highway at 70-75.

So how far have we come with all of thiese over engineered automobiles... Is that your concern... mine too if those are the facts.

My wife has my LS that I was getting fairly good mpg with. With her driving, she barely gets 16! Always gas and brake with her. Even though we are going down-hill and there is a red light in front of her, she doesn't let off that gas! What can you do...

lsbit said:
My wife has my LS that I was getting fairly good mpg with. With her driving, she barely gets 16! Always gas and brake with her. Even though we are going down-hill and there is a red light in front of her, she doesn't let off that gas! What can you do...

Its all about how you drive, and the type of gas, Yesterday I averaged 19 MPG on my normal 90+ mph commute home..

This morning I avereged 23mpg averaging about 95+ mph

My commute is 70 miles.

2000 v8
mod 3.58 03 rear
k&n intake
tornado ( yes the damn thing works!!!)
iridium plugs...( like that makes all the difference, but you wanted mods)
caution fan sticker!!! LOL
17 sport wheels on base model
magnaflow exhaust with tips!!! too bad the car is sold!!! *owned*
15-18 in town
26 hwy at 80, yeas i have a lead foot
if i am real good, at 70 mph 31.1 mpg

Last edited:
no matter how fast i go, i always get the same mpg. also whatever gas i use its the same

I think i have the worst mileage of all on the thread. 2000 ls v8 sport pkg, kkm intake recently installed. 11.3 city, (yea 11.3) and barely 19 hwy (80 mph on criuse). before the intake i was getting 16.5 city, has this happened to anyone else? my right foot is not that heavy (usually), but i usually only travel from home to school (5min in atlanta). any suggestions as to why my mileage is so low?

bboyd said:
I think i have the worst mileage of all on the thread. 2000 ls v8 sport pkg, kkm intake recently installed. 11.3 city, (yea 11.3) and barely 19 hwy (80 mph on criuse). before the intake i was getting 16.5 city, has this happened to anyone else? my right foot is not that heavy (usually), but i usually only travel from home to school (5min in atlanta). any suggestions as to why my mileage is so low?
If you're sure your air and fuel filters are in good shape, and plugs are good, and check engine light isn't on, and the car runs okay, I'd try replacing the front two oxygen sensors. They become inaccurate with age, and will generally cost you mileage and power above 80k or so miles.

That's not cheap, but it may make a really big difference.

eL eS said:
So how far have we come with all of thiese over engineered automobiles... Is that your concern... mine too if those are the facts.
Yes, exactly. Although new cars do get much better city gas mileage - my Chrysler only gets 13 around town.

What I think it really proves is that you can't get around the laws of physics. On the highway, it will always take roughly X amount of gas to move Y pounds of car at Z miles per hour.

Hi All

City - 9 mpg
Highway - 11mpg

Conti2

Regards

Dereck

Derek - I was about to freak out on your mpg - but please post pics of your 50 person in-car jacuzzi :Beer [/in Jack's crazy party voice]

btw: I go to Coventry twice a year - how close is Somerset?

Hi Quick LS

Quik LS said:
Derek - I was about to freak out on your mpg - but please post pics of your 50 person in-car jacuzzi :Beer [/in Jack's crazy party voice]

btw: I go to Coventry twice a year - how close is Somerset?

No 50 person Jacuzzi, just a full size carburated V8 that thrives on gas :)

Coventry is just about 2 hours (130 miles) from my home town of Burnham-On-Sea, straight up the M5, skirt Birmingham on the M42 and I will be there. If you want to meet up I am sure something can be arranged.

Regards

Dereck

I'm squeezing 17.8 mpg in the city and 24.6 mpg highway with a 21.2 mpg avg. 158K on the clock, new TPS, EVR, EGR, DPFE; EGR channel and throttle body/elbow cleaning, new plugs and wires. This old '92 just runs great on Exxon 89. :p

sorry gents but i gotta say this. about the mileage Who Really Gives A Sh1t. people drive lincoln Why? number 1 answer is BECAUSE I CAN. and why do you have the big v8 motor again numbe 1 answer BECAUSE I CAN. all of our mileages are within 3-4 miles of each other and 3-4 miles dont equate to too much anyway.maybe 40 miles by the time you are on E and who runs down to E anyway.
Eric

ERIC1 said:
sorry gents but i gotta say this. about the mileage Who Really Gives A Sh1t. people drive lincoln Why? number 1 answer is BECAUSE I CAN. and why do you have the big v8 motor again numbe 1 answer BECAUSE I CAN. all of our mileages are within 3-4 miles of each other and 3-4 miles dont equate to too much anyway.maybe 40 miles by the time you are on E and who runs down to E anyway.
Eric
You want to get the best mileage possible, because mileage is the best indicator of the condition of your engine and fuel system. If you have a problem, that's where it will show up first.

And if you think we have "big v8" engines in our cars, I think you are one funny guy! Well, I guess it is 9 cubic inches bigger than a V6 Mustang...

i was getting pretty good MPG up until two days ago now it's at 12.2mpg in the city. something is a miss, i'm going to try the tires tomorrow then i'll move to the O2 sensor.. what else should i look at?

mine is int the pitts as well. I have already replace the IAC and EGR. The front O2's will be swapped out this weekend and I plan on replacing all the plugs and the 3 coils on the RH side of my V6.

They havent tested bad or thrwon any codes but I have to remove a bunch of intake manifold and throttle assy in order to change the plugs beneth them and figure I should save myself sometime and replace them ahead of any failure. They have 109k miles on them now so I think I got my money out of those parts. My MPG is about 11 to 13 Hwy I average 80mph.

eL eS said:
My MPG is about 11 to 13 Hwy I average 80mph.

Wow...too bad there isn't room for a big block in there. You should get better mileage with a 460. :steering

I remember about ten years ago, my friend built a gorgeous Chevy 400 and put it in his malibu is was easily 400 horse and he got 20 hiway out of it! Back then we were like "Wow, how did u pull that off?"

Simple... He wasn't emmisionally challenged...

My 351 in my Capri gets 26 on the highway at 65 or 70 MPH. No emmissions crap. Carter AFB, 3.08 gears and 5 speed.

kleetus said:
Simple... He wasn't emmisionally challenged...

My 351 in my Capri gets 26 on the highway at 65 or 70 MPH. No emmissions crap. Carter AFB, 3.08 gears and 5 speed.

Whoa...Everytime I think of good gas mileage I think of my friend's Capri. He put a 302 in there back in the 80's and used an Edelbrock carb (same thing as the afb anyway) and got close to 30 on the highway. We were shocked. Part of it is the strain factor. I got better gas mileage with my Ranger after I put the 302 in it. It originally had a 4 cylinder. The 302 never had to really work to move the vehicle around. That 4 banger had to work it's little butt off!

Your Capri isn't a '80 RS that is white with the red stripes too, is it?

In my 80' Mark VI I get between 10-13mpg with my 351W, I've got a 600cfm carb, Gt40P heads, headers, and a beefier cam. And my foot is often planted to the floor.

I live in NY

City= 15-17
Hwy= 24-26

with gas up these days... i might get a honda :Bang

yea right! :L

lsbit said:
Whoa...Everytime I think of good gas mileage I think of my friend's Capri. He put a 302 in there back in the 80's and used an Edelbrock carb (same thing as the afb anyway) and got close to 30 on the highway. We were shocked. Part of it is the strain factor. I got better gas mileage with my Ranger after I put the 302 in it. It originally had a 4 cylinder. The 302 never had to really work to move the vehicle around. That 4 banger had to work it's little butt off!

Your Capri isn't a '80 RS that is white with the red stripes too, is it?

No, it's an 81 Black Magic. It's not pretty, and if I ever move south, I'm redoing the entire car. It needs paint in a big way. Way faded... That's what makes it so much fun... nobody takes me seriously until it's too late!

Members online

Back